6.0

2001 GMC Sierra 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 GMC Sierra 2500:

2001 GMC Sierra 2500 Owner Comments

Dec 022013

Sierra 2500 SLT 8.1L

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, pretty much a stout run of the mill work horse. My issue is that I have been experiencing this crazy fuel gauge that sits on empty until I rev the motor and it will set to where I am pretty sure it should be. Then after you let it idle down it drops back to empty and maybe flips back and forth from time to time as you are driving.

This morning my battery was dead. It was a 4 year Platinum 34/78 Die Hard. It was past its 4 years so I assume that it was time and first real cold snap of the year. Will have to see if I am OK with that tomorrow morning as I just got done putting a new battery in and cleaning up the cables.

My concern is what to do about this stupid fuel gauge situation? The book says if you have warning messages pop up and leave them unattended that it can result in battery drainage? Not sure how that plays together but maybe there is someone out there that can shed some light on the situation.

Thoughts or ideas? Should I drop the tank and put in a new sending unit/sensor? Is it a recall Item?

- , Wilmington, NC, USA