2005 GMC Sierra 3500 cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 GMC Sierra 3500:

2005 GMC Sierra 3500 Owner Comments

Jul 222005

Sierra 3500 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

I have a GMC pickup truck with a diesel engine that has a chronic overheating issue. I am not the only one with such an issue, as there are literally hundreds, maybe even thousands with this problem. This issue is exclusive to GM diesel pickups with the 6.6 liter duramax diesel engine model year 2004.5 and 2005. I have had my truck for only 2 months and am taking it to the dealer for the second time. I have read that GM has had to buy back several of these vehicles. While some dealers across the country are recognizing the problem and telling customers that GM is aware of the problem, many are denying any documented service bulletins or that a problem even exists. This problem is predominant when towing and hauling, which is what these vehicles are designed for. I purchased my vehicle specifically to tow a travel trailer with. I can't do that without having an engine overheating issue. The potential danger of towing a trailer and your vehicle overheating is quite obvious. My dealer told me that there was no problem found when they tested my vehicle. They could not simulate the situation causing an overheat. The best they could do was get the truck to heat up to 230 degrees, which by the way is about 15 degrees over normal operating temps. I am taking my vehicle back to my dealer for another check. Do I have to be stranded on the side of the road potentially endangering my life and the lives of several motorists before General Motors does something?

- Diamond Springs, CA, USA