2002 GMC Sonoma drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 GMC Sonoma:

2002 GMC Sonoma Owner Comments

May 202003

Sonoma 4WD 6-cyl

I currently own a 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR5 4WD pickup. Shortly after purchase the vent controls for the A/C unit started to malfunction. This did not seem to be a big deal until last week when I was told the problem had been traced to a vacuum module on the transfer case that controls switching in and out of 4WD. The dealer replaced to defective part and returned the vehicle to me. On Monday, I was driving home on the interstate, took my foot of the gas and started braking for the off ramp. As I was coming around the sharp curve on ramp, the transfer case tried to switch from 2wd to 4WD. As you may be aware, trucks do not handle the same in 4WD. My concern is the fact that had the roads been wet, it very possible that the jerk of switching to 4WD on a sharp curve would cause the truck to lose traction and spin out of control. It should also be noted that dealer has informed me that it may take up to three weeks to obtain the parts and repair damage to my transfer case and A/C controls caused by this defect but the factory has made no modifications to the control module and this may happen again at any time. I have informed the dealer that I will not accept the truck back until GMC can assure me that this defect has been corrected and warranty any future problems that may arise. The truck currently has 24,000 miles but only had about 12,000 when the first module started malfunctioning.

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Apr 082003

Sonoma 4WD

The transfer case leaked, which caused the actuator to short and leaked oil internally. Oil was seen in the lighter, ash tray and on the passenger side floor.

- East Chicago, IN, USA