2010 GMC Terrain engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Terrain:

2010 GMC Terrain Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 162016

Terrain

Well first problem was in Sept 2014 mileage on car was 54170 the car had to be towed from my job to dealer came out after working and entire electric system was down could not start or open locks on car with key system at that time they told me the timing chain broke to which they fixed and on receipt they claim they replaced chain gasket and sealant also they claimed they performed a carbon cleaning and did a 27 point inspection now at mileage of 73740 they claim the motor is bad and said it would not last and wanted to charge me $7500 for a new motor when I told them the check engine light came on and would not go out I was told because I went to another place for oil change that was a Firestone place the mechanic claimed the actuators were clogged and claimed the motor was not repairable at that I decided to trade the car in and I did lease another car at the same dealer I know its not their fault the engine did not hold up like it was thought to when I purchased it. While I was waiting for reasons why the light was on spoke to another person and she claimed she had 2 persons who had similar issues so that is why im looking to see if there is a suit in progress

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Sep 162016

Terrain

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Terrain. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle stopped accelerating. The contact observed that the antifreeze coolant seal failed and caused the vehicle to overheat without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the piston rings fractured and needed to be replaced. Also, the windshield wipers failed. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V489000 (visibility). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 124,000.

- Akron, OH, USA

Sep 172016

Terrain

Catalytic converter will have to be repaired. Failed emmisions testing. By the time I fix this along with the other major parts I know it's 6 years later but this should not be happening. Please strongly consider a recall on this! there are unusual and major issues with the 2010 GMC Terrain please check the internet or pull files of all issue where GMC states nothing was detected. This is an easy way for GMC to get out of recalls. Maybe we need to go to the news and papers.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 192016

Terrain

Requesting a recall on the 2010 GMC Terrain. Mileage that was on the sticker was incorrect. Far from the truth. Major oil consumption, never seen anything like it. Tapping noise was reported @ 3,000 was told it was normal. Knew it was not. Had to replace camshaft, electrical problem, head lights constantly going, never lasting anytime. Will now have to replace transmission and probably engine. GMC stated they have no record of any problems with the Terrain they stated if there were any problems there would have been recalls and that the NHTSA would have done this. Will this be done" not sure how GMC is getting away with this. So many complaints on line. Are there any class action suits for the Terrain? can we start one" there are plenty of people with the exact same problem. Not even similar it's exact.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Aug 152016

Terrain

Catalytic converter going out on a car 6 years old. I know some GMC have had recalls on their catalytic converter, why not the Terrain. I have had so many things fixed on this car. The car started running really rough and hard. The first things caused the car to shut down in power. That was covered under warranty and was fix. Then the air bag light kept coming on, and I had repaired. Then a recall was on that, and I was reimburse my money. Then I had the evap vent solenoid asm and cleared. Still more problems so took it back to the dealership. More money spent as now they said "tested evap system and found gas cap leaking." Repaired that then more money was needed as they said after the light came on again evap purge solenoid leaking pressure.then the compressor went out. I live in Texas so air was needed. Well now the services engine like is on again, and the car idle real hard and jerks like it wants to die. After checking the engine light I was told now it's my catalytic converter, and its going to cost me $1200. After researching I have found other are having the same problem with the 2010 GMC Terrain. These cars and year model appear to be junk. Will there be a recall on this problem" could you are investigate this"

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 072016

Terrain

I bought this car 12/2014 in 01/15 I took it in for a noise coming from the engine. It turned out to be the timing chain. It was replaced. In 12/2015 I had engine problems the engine was replaced with help of the warranty I was out of pocket $850. Now 08/16 it ran hot while on the free. I got off a the next exit and took it to Firestone they couldn't tell what was wrong. I had it towed to a mechanic and he replaced the thermostat that didn't work. Had it towed back to the dealership who said something about a battery. That didn't even apply. They sent it back to the people they bought the engine from in 12/2015. They said the timing chain was broke again. They fixed it but it's still running hot. They warranty was voided B/C I drove it off the freeway and the temp reached higher than 280 degrees. They are going to replace the gaskets for $1000 that I have to pa out of pocket and it still might have problems and need another engine. All in less than a year. I refuse to believe this. I believe the dealership either didn't install the engine correctly or the engine was already no god

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Oct 142015

Terrain

Check engine light has illuminated multiple times. A rough idle was initial indication something was wrong. I have had the vehicle tested multiple times and have been told from dealership and other mechanics that it is a timing issue. The vehicle will start and drive. Safely problem is while driving through a busy two way intersection, after coming to a complete stop, the vehicle would not accelerate as needed almost leading to an accident. Under normal working condition I would have had no problem making it through the intersection in a reasonable amount of time. It very slowly puttered through the intersection while I had the accelerator pushed to the floor board and after finally crossing the intersection began to accelerate at an unexpected speed. I began to accelerate so unexpectedly that I temporarily lost control of the vehicle and crossed into the incoming lane of traffic.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Sep 022015

Terrain

While entering a freeway onramp, vehicle would not accelerate. Pulled over and waited a few minutes. Started and limped to the nearest dealer. Transmission went out at 41K miles, 5 years "80 days" (Sept 2015) into ownership! dealer did not offer to do an full goodwill repair, despite the low miles and 80 days past the warranty. Engine constantly uses/burns oil. Service documentation available on request.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Terrain

Ticking noise from engine along with excess oil consumption. Mechanic says this definitely should be a recall. Timing chain will need to be replaced. There is a noise from the engine when the car idles and accelerating. It consumes approximately 2.5 extra quarts of oil between oil changes of 3,000 mile intervals.

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Apr 122016

Terrain

The car check engine light won't go out and the onstar rep says it is transmission related to possible timing chain which was replaced aprox 2 years ago at that time there was no warning as the check engine light coming on I travel only highway most of the time and im in fear that the car will stop without notice I feel if the chain is the issue again they should make good on the car it has aprox 71000. Miles at this time and if it stops on highway could be cause for deaths to me or maybe someone else

- Irvington, NJ, USA

Apr 272016

Terrain

Engine burning oil rapidly making loud noise had to get a new engine from GMC and had it installed at the dealership. Power steering locked twice took it to dealership they stated that the battery cable was not connecting properly and made the adjustment. Was working fine for 1 month and now the power steering locked again and I almost hit a wall and pedestrian while entering a parking garage, I am taking it back to the dealership

- Albrightsville, PA, USA

Apr 062016

Terrain

Timing chain failed at 77,000 miles effecting the catalytic converter.

- Brockport, NY, USA

Feb 072015

Terrain

I was driving down the middle of the road with people behind me, and the car just completely stopped in the middle of the road. The light came on that said stabilitrack. It would not start back up. We had it towed to a dealership, and we contacted GMC, they said our warranty had ran out in December 2014, and this took place February 2015. The vehicle had around 60,000 miles on it. It turned out it was the timing chain, and when it broke it destroyed the whole motor. It actually sheared off some other metal parts. The whole engine had to be replaced, and we had to pay for it all out of our pocket, while we are still paying for the vehicle itself. I feel like that is a problem with the vehicle itself, because you read on these pages and forums, and tons of people have had the same problem as we had. We could have been killed by it stopping right in the middle of the road with no warning at all!!

- Phil Campbell, AL, USA

Feb 272016

Terrain

I have 41,000 miles - should I need a left pretension buckle (part failure) and timing chain - oil was changed in December, checked in January and GMC dealer states I have no oil and need a timing chain where did the oil go" is this a factor defect" car stalled at stop signs and red lights.

- Scotia, NY, USA

Feb 102015

Terrain

I own a 2010 GMC Terrain. When I had an oil change done I noticed an abnormal ticking noise and the check engine light would not go off and brought my vehicle in for a diagnostic and was told the timing belt and chain had to be replaced the check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, I only had this vehicle for 2 yrs and for this kind of problem under 100,000 miles is crazy. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed the problem I went to other mechanics who would not touch the vehicle and said this was a dealer issue and was advised that he has had a few customers with the same problem and I am not paying 2,000 for a part that has been known to cause problems but is not covered under warrenty.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Dec 292015

Terrain

I ordered this vehicle in 12/2009 and received it 2/2010. There have been several recalls and most recently I had to replace cam shaft accuators and high pressure fuel pump to the tune of $1800. My wife was driving home from work and the car was rattling and vibrating like it had two flat tires. Before that she informed that the service engine and stabilitrak lights had come on. There is a noise that rattles in the exhaust and I have had problems with the heater not working in the cold days of Wisconsin. I am highly disappointed in GMC, who received a "bail out" now owners of this vehicle need a "bail out" from this terrible design of a vehicle.

- Milwauke, WI, USA

Oct 042015

Terrain

Takata recall - bought vehicle used, in past 2 years have gone to start truck an it stutters when trying to turn ignition over.all lights on dash flash and upon starting a 2nd time engine light comes on. I work in auto collision industry and read with my scan tool. Every time its listed as faulty start.didn't think any major wrong, till I rear ended someone at about 35 direct hit. I hit my chest hard on steering wheel & have wanted to get rid of truck since. I knew the bags should've deployed an felt unsafe since they did not. No recall listed, but then I saw cobalt major recall and it seems identical to my vehicles issue. Contacted GMC to fix, not covered. But since we do so much business and it seems connected they will be repairing tomorrow however cobalts recall requires. Unfortunately others might not be so lucky as I.

- Bellingham, MA, USA

Aug 162013

Terrain

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Terrain. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the contact noticed an abnormal noise and noticed that the timing chain had fractured. The check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact noticed fuel fumes emitting from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the timing chain, water pump, fuel pump, pistons, spark plugs, gasket and multiple unknown parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle repaired. However, the contact stated that while reversing at a low speed, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- Corning, NY, USA

Dec 052015

Terrain

My car is idling when it suddenly begins to idle roughly then stalls. There is a "reduced engine power" warning that appears with the check engine light, and "service stabilitrak" with the stabilitrak light. This has happened 3 times, twice when the vehicle was stationary, another time in motion, driving on a city street, and I was able to pull over before it died. In reading other complaints, this seems to be a known safety issue for 2010 GMC Terrains and should be investigated as a recall issue.

- Hanford, CA, USA

May 012015

Terrain

I have had my vehicle checked twice this year regarding the loud exhaust noise and the strong fuel smell coming from my vehicle. They said that it is not a concern and I get migraines from the smell as well. I take my little sister to school everyday and the the fumes are overwhelming.

- Sparks, NV, USA