2010 GMC Terrain engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Terrain:

2010 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

May 022016

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Terrain. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to reverse. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Nov 242014

Driving back from a two hour trip at aprox 55 mph our 2010 GMC started flashing "reduced engine power" with the check engine light, and "service stabilitrak" with the stabilitrak light. Speed dropped down to about 30 mph without control. The car was idling heaving with rmps jumping. We pulled over to the side of the road and restarted the car, the only light that remained on was the check engine light. Speed control was restored. By the time we made it home, aprox 20 miles, the check engine light turned off. Then a couple weeks later again, twice in one night, back to back. I called the dealer for an appointment because I assumed it would be covered by a GMC warranty, they did not have availability for 7+ days. The night before my appointment it happened again but did not correct itself and we had to drive it to the dealership at 30 mph. I just received the news, $800 later, it needs a new throttle body, exhaust cam solenoid and another repair to the camshaft. I do not have the paperwork back from the dealer yet for additional details, but am disappointed that this is a common problem with the 2010 GMC Terrains and they take no responsibility for the repairs. This should be a recall. There is a lot of potential danger to having your speed drop with no warning or control.

- Stanardsville, VA, USA

Dec 082013

Vehicle quickly decelerated from about 46 mph to 5 mph. It would not accelerate above 5 mph. No warning signs before hand, happened out of nowhere. Then an error light came on the dashboard. GMC mechanic stated the throttle body was bad and replaced it, it was not covered under warranty (cost $540). This could have caused a major accident on a freeway or busy street, or could leave someone stranded on the side of the road with no warning.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Feb 032014

Terrain 6-cyl

I hit a bump about a month ago, and now my "service airbags" light keeps coming on. I have not had a collision, but now everytimes I hit a bump I get a ding and the "service airbags." Not sure if any recalss on are for this problems.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 092013

Terrain 6-cyl

I was going about 40 mph about to get on the freeway, when my car begin a loud noise, shaking, and dropped speed to about 20 mph. The dashboard said something also about no power, no matter how much I pushed the gas pedal, car would not accelerate. Instead of getting on freeway I pulled over to a gas station. I cut the car off and left off for a minute. I cut it back on and was running normal. I immediately went to the dealership where I was told there was a recall on the throttle body and they would replace for me. The problem is that no one bother to notify me, and if I had not had this problem might not had known.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 082013

Terrain 4-cyl

It stalled and the check engine lights came on. This happened again 12/13 replaced exhaust cam solenoid and again in January 2014 when they had to replace the camshaft position exhaust actuator. The have also at different times had to replace the high pressure fuel pump, water pump and balance shaft chain, replaced the condenser, evac on the air conditioner on this vehicle and the other 2010 GMC Terrain we own. We do not feel like we should have had to pay for the ac condenser since it happened on both vehicles we own within months of each other but we did. The other 2010 Terrain we own was in the shop in January 2014 because it stalled and it was cam shaft and the throttle body about 2 weeks later we had to take this one in for the cam. The other Terrain has we own has also had the cam worked on several times. This vehicle has also had several recalls for other issues. Something needs to be done about these vehicles because there are so many people having these same problems. Look on edmonds online forum at all the complaints about the 2010 Terrains and the 2010 equinox. Something needs to be done so the owners can get rid of these vehicles before they stall again and somebody hits them and kills them like the six people who died because the 2007 GM cobalt stalled on them while driving. We need the NHTSA to help us. They were also going to charge us on the other vehicle almost $900 to fix the cam shaft and throttle body, when the problem had obviously not been fixed one of the other times that GMC dealerships worked on it until I complained to GMC. Then the dealership said we had to pay about $250 because the owner has to pay something when its out of warranty. That vehicle had about 43,000 miles. I don't feel like the owners should have to pay one penny when there is a repeat problem on a vehicle and they can't seem to keep it fixed.

- Athens, AL, USA

Sep 072010

Terrain 4-cyl

TL- the contact owns a 2010 GMC Terrain. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and all of the warning lamps illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body and cam shaft were defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 500 and the current mileage was 44,000.

- Athens, AL, USA

Jan 062014

Was driving down the road doing speed limit of 40 mph. All of a sudden the car started shaking and by it self dropped to 20 mph. Drove to apt and shut car off. When started back up it seemed ok. Took to the dealer, they said it was the throttle body and stabilizers. Which those lights came on as it happened. Engine power control light also came on. Dealer said they had to order parts and would cost around $600. Wow. Seems like a lot of the same issues on here. I believe they should put a recall on this issue.

- Aztec, , NM, USA

Oct 172013

Terrain 4-cyl

On 10/17/2013 my wife experienced a sudden acceleration while pulling into a parking space at our local walgreen's pharmacy. As she was pulling into a parking space in front of the pharmacy the car kept moving forward slowly although she was pressing on the brake pedal as hard as she could. The car crawled up the concrete curb stop slowly and hit the steel pipe bollard placed in front of the curb stop to protect the walkway front of the store. No injuries occurred to my wife, no one was on the walkway at the time. Only damage was to the bollard (bent over) plastic bumper, grill and right front fender of the car. Bollard and a trash receptacle brought the car to a stop. This is the second time this occurred. The first occasion was about a year ago when I was driving on a neighborhood residential street approaching a stop sign. As the car was slowing down and I was pressing on the brake pedal the car kept moving forward with the brakes being fully applied. Could hear the engine straining at an increased RPM. I lifted my foot off the brake pedal and jammed it down hard again and the car came to a stop at the stop sign with the engine in normal idle. In the three years we have owned this car these are the only occasions the problem has occurred.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Nov 302010

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Terrain. The contact was driving 5 mph when the vehicle began abnormally skipping gears. The contact was accelerating from a traffic stop when the vehicle abnormally lunged forward and caused the contact to crash into the rear of a preceding vehicle. The driver of the second vehicle was injured. A police report was available. The contact sustained substantial damage to the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for further inspection. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Lakeland, FL, USA