NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

2010 GMC Terrain miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Terrain:

2010 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

Dec 182016

Terrain

I bought the vehicle with around 86,000 mi - one owner, from dealership. The engine was making a noise within a couple of months. I have to change the oil every month because of the unusual oil burning issue. It died on me three times. The engine would slow down to a stop. I had to turn it off and back on. Later, after a cold day, I had an oil leak. I took it in and the mechanic said there is a problem with the PCV system and the car has had recalls in the past. I took it to the dealership but they said it was not covered. The diagnosis was rear main seal needs replaced. I found a special coverage bulletin from GM online where it said that certain locations/vins are covered because of the crankshaft rear oil seal needs replacement. Mine was diagnosed with this but when I called GM it said my VIN was not on the list. I have had issues with the vehicle since I bought it. Lots of engine noise, very high oil consumption/burn, and difficult to maintain. I would not recommend this vehicle, and I would encourage owners to file for a civil action if they own this type vehicle because all the reviews lead to the same issue. GM should honor their values by either replacing the parts or recalling these vehicles. I will never purchase a GM vehicle again. The design is great but the engine and system are of very poor quality.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Nov 252016

Terrain

The defroster and heating stopped working. It blows out air but its cold air. I have always had to play with the control to get it to work but its never stopped working altogether until Friday, 11/25/2016. I live in the snow belt and I cannot defrost my windows to even see out of them. I see there was a recall in 2009 for my type of vehicle for the same type of issue. The controls for the door lock on the same panel also stopped working.

- Union City, PA, USA

Jan 292016

Terrain

Uses way to much oil. We have to keep adding oil between oil changes. There is no leaks on the ground from leaking oil, it just burns oil fast. We have to check the oil at every fill up and most of the time we are adding about 2 qt. Or more.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

May 112016

Terrain

I purchase my truck certified used and I already have to drop $1400 because the O2 sensor went out, the exhaust manifold is cracked and the hose that recycles the gas (I'm guessing the intake valve) is leaking! I still have to make car payments and insurance payments which total up to about $700 per month!!!! I am really dissatisfied as much as I love my truck.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 152016

Terrain

The rear door air lift will not stay open when you press the button. On 2 occasions I hit my head because I did not know it had dropped down when I was loading and unloading groceries. The vehicle was parked in a parking lot and in my garage. It was not running. I found an entire page on the internet of many people having the same issues. It is called the Terrain forum.net. This is very dangerous because some people have said they have had them dead fall. People could be injured or killed by the force of this door coming down on their heads. GMC has recalls on this problem with some of their other calls but not the GMC Terrain. I talked with them today and they said they have not had enough complaints to have a recall! here is the link to the Terrain forum https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=Terrain+forum&ie=utf-8&rlz=1T4adfa_en___us607&Q=GMC+Terrain+forums+discussions+&gs_L=hp..3.0J0I22I30L4.0.0.0.18414...........0.zc-sm_ruims#Q=lift+gate+will+not+stay+open+on+my+2010+GMC+Terrain

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

May 012015

Terrain

I have had my vehicle checked twice this year regarding the loud exhaust noise and the strong fuel smell coming from my vehicle. They said that it is not a concern and I get migraines from the smell as well. I take my little sister to school everyday and the the fumes are overwhelming.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Aug 242015

Terrain

Dashboard lighting fading on and off at radio portion, including time, temp, and station. At same time, noise coming from right front side of vehicle.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Apr 032010

Terrain

Dash shade too short. The sun shines straight down over the driver and reflects on the instrument panel and causes a severe glare. This could be corrected with a 3 inch longer hood over the driver instrument panel or 6-9 tinted strip in the upper windshield. I cannot read the instrument panel which I think is a safety issue.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 072011

Terrain

Multiple problems: 1) front right tire well hole/leak found while investigating a complaint of mold odor inside car. 2) initially, the usb and A/C were malfunctioning. Then the car radio stopped working; and now the car will not start (possible electrical shortage related to the above leak?) I tried to charge the battery; however, I believe something may be draining the battery as it keeps dying.

- San Mateo, CA, USA