2.9

2011 GMC Terrain brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 GMC Terrain:

2011 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

Sep 302015

Terrain

My Terrain shut off the first time days after oil change while parked in a parking lot and running for 5 minutes. Days later while turning left at busy intersection to enter expressway it stalled and I barely rolled to side of road and was almost rear ended. Then a few days later while at a bus stop and ready to accelerate it stalled again. I had to restart. Dealership would not take any responsibility. Had to get over $3000 in work on engine.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Dec 112015

Terrain

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Terrain. While driving various speeds, the stabilitrak and loss of engine power indicators illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Del City, OK, USA

Jan 212016

Terrain

While driving message read reduced engine power lost all power could not control the steering wheel! then the car shut down and continued to roll down the highway.almost got hit by other cars from behind. Very frightening for me I almost got a panic attack. I managed to stop the car on the shoulder of the road with half of the car still blocking other cars.car will not start. The battery is new.I have done research on social media and there's thousands of GM customers who have or are facing the same issues. Is this another cover up by GM that's continuously ignoring this problem and the consumers are paying thousands of dollars in this repair. I was told I need repairs that will cost $4000 dollars on a 2011 GMC Terrain car I got a year ago. This is ridiculous. Who is fighting for the consumers?

- Iowa, IA, USA

Oct 092014

Terrain

I bought this Terrain used with 21000 miles on it. I have had 2 issues with the stabilitrac system needing serviced since then. Both issues took place as I was starting the engine. I have many other complains of this vehicle. Certainly wish I had my 2009 acadia with 165000 miles back. I agree GM needs to do something.

- Clyde, OH, USA

Feb 252015

Terrain 4-cyl

During a normal commute on route on 2/15 received about 3 miles into the drive received a warning error - loss of engine power and the car would not accelerate. The car started shaking violently and received a stabilititrak error. The car was pulled to the side of the road and placed in neutral. The shaking became worse and the car was shut off. After two minutes the car was started again, with no issues and was driven 6 more miles without issue. After 6 miles of driving the same engine power warning and stabilitrack error came back. The car was violently shaking and the driver shut it off. It was towed to the dealership. The dealership received one code for the throttle sensor positioner. The code was reset and a loose connection was diagnosed as the fault and returned to owner. Five days later the car was started in the garage. Upon startup it started again to shake violently. The car was put in reverse and began to shake violently and the driver received a stabilitrak warning light. The car was shut off and was again towed to the dealership. The dealership found two codes crank position sensor and misfire. The car was driven five miles with no issues. The dealership cannot locate the root cause of the problem. This undiagnosed issue posses a severe safety risk to the owner of the car and family if it were to occur again while driving in congested traffic or on a highway.

- Seymour , CT, USA

Feb 152015

Terrain 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway at 60 mph and all of a sudden lost power. The reduced power and check stabilitrak messages appeared on the screen. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the engine off. I immediately tried starting the vehicle again and it did, so went on my way. Got down the road about three miles and the same thing, so pulled to the side of the road and turned the engine off. I tried to start the vehicle, but there was no response, everything was dead. I waited several minutes and tried again and it started. I continued on my way and didn't have anymore trouble getting to my destination. A couple of days later, the same thing happened except when I tried to turn the vehicle off, it continued to run very roughly and then finally shut off. It did start again and had the engine light on. I've had the vehicle to the local GMC dealer when the first incident happened, however when they tried to read the codes, there were no codes to read even though the engine light was on. I was told everything checked out fine. I was down the to dealer again today with the engine light on again, but before they could check it out, the engine light had gone out. To me this is a very serious problem as it can very easily cause an accident. So far I've been lucky that I haven't lost the power steering or brakes.

- Montevideo, MN, USA

Feb 122015

Terrain 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle stalled from 35-40 mph to 5 mph. A message came on the screen " engine power reduced". had I been on highway that would be ended in accident. Contacted GM and everyone I have been talking to them seems to be reading a script to me.

- Franklin Lakes, NJ, USA

Jan 272015

Terrain

I was driving on I-75 when all of a sudden my 2011 GMC Terrain slowed down tremendously. Also, the check engine light came on and the gage read engine power decreasing, service stabilitrak. I could have been killed and it was difficult for me to pull over to the shoulder. General Motors need to recall and fix this before someone gets killed. Come on General Motors. I just recently paid nearly $5,000 for a new transmission because the vehicle wouldn't move while in drive and had the catalytic converter replaced. Lots of problems with this vehicle.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Jan 132015

Terrain 4-cyl

I had oil changed that morning. That night, while driving, "engine power reduced" and "service stabilitrac" lights came on and vehicle would not accelerate over 15 mph. I had to pull to the side of the freeway and turn off the vehicle, wait a few minutes and try again. It was fine until the next day when the same thing happened again. It has been one week and has happened multiple times everyday since. I read many complaints on-line addressing this same issue and stating that it is the throttle body. I took it to the dealer and the diagnostic said the throttle body needs replaced. This is a safety issue! imagine traveling 70 mph down the highway, and you lose power to your engine! this is an accident waiting to happen!

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Jan 122015

Terrain

Vehicle stability control service light came on. Service engine light came on. Vehicle engine power cut by 50%. safety issue - I was riding on the high way and the vehicle speed was cut from 70 to 30 - could have been killed.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Apr 082014

Terrain 4-cyl

Well it appears that there are several complaints on here about the 2011 Terrain stalling. It's been happening to me off and on the past several months. I would be in traffic and it would stall, I would be at a stop light and it would stall, I would go to back out of my driveway and it would stall. I took it in and they can't find anything wrong. Well last night it finally died. Great!! I heard noise when I started the vehicle that sounded like plastic water bottles rubbing together. I had a bag in my front seat so assumed it was nothing. It bucked forward as I put it into drive and stalled. Well...the stalling I'd become accustomed to so I re-started. It seemed fine until I went to accelerate onto the main road...it bucked, started shuttering, and wouldn't go above 5 mph. I barely got it into a parking lot before it died. I counted no less than 5 similar reports on here. I live in the metro detroit area...had this happened on a highway or during rush hour, I could've been killed. Someone needs to do something before GMC has yet another scandal on their hands or how many people have to be hurt, maimed, or killed before NHTSA gets involved??

- Romeo, MI, USA

Feb 162014

Terrain 4-cyl

The same issue happened 3 times. November 2013, 28 January 2014, 16 February 2014. Each time the vehicle was in and idling situation red light, in a fast food drive thru, heavy traffic, or if I forgot something, left the car running, and went into the house to get what I was looking for, especially if it took me 4-5 minutes to find what I was looking for and return to the car. Additionally, I've experienced this moving at speeds of 8mph or less in thick traffic. (1) car would for no reason start rough idling. (2) the yellow check engine light would come on. (3) the engine reduced power message would appear. (4) the stabilitrak warning message light would then appear. (5) then I pressed the accelerator to cross an intersection and move out of the way of traffic, and the vehicle moves at a snail's pace (5-10 mph). (6) I let it sit for 10-30 minutes (or overnight if I was fortunate enough to be at home), restart it, and it runs like it normally does as if nothing ever happened. (7) the "yellow check engine light" simply disappears after a few hours. (8) sometimes there's a faint burning smell like a plastic garbage bag on fire, burning rubber, or overheated electronics. I'm taking it to my local GMC dealership today before I end up stranded somewhere or worse be the cause of a major serious accident! it's like it has a malicious code in the engine's computer system, and it selects the time and place when idling to inject itself! it may go several weeks or even months before it happens, but you can be confident it's going to happen! other than this annoying safety issue, the Terrain in my opinion is a pretty good vehicle for its class. Makes me wish I had chosen the 6 cylinder instead of the 4 cylinder. I don't think the 6 cylinder is having this issue. GM/GMC should address this, and make this right asap!

- Lawton, OK, USA

Mar 122012

Terrain 4-cyl

The engine or fuel system show a severe malfunction. When at a stop light, the RPM's drop so much that it shuts down sometimes, some others, it barely stays on. I called the dealership and told me that it was not a warranty covered repair and that I had to pay for the diagnostic plus whatever was wrong to repair (parts and/or labor). All of the sudden, now the "stability trac" check light goes on an off without apparent cause. I feel like I'm driving a vehicle from the 1950's. it's a great looking comfortable SUV, but very disappointed with performance and fuel consumption.

- Laredo, TX, USA