2011 GMC Terrain engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 GMC Terrain:

2011 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

Feb 272015

Terrain 4-cyl

2011 GMC Terrain. Consumer writes in regards to engine and vehicle acceleration issues. The consumer stated when he accelerated from 25 to 35 mph, he experienced a sudden loss of power to 5 mph. The dealer replaced the throttle body.

- Marshall, MI, USA

Jan 212016

While driving message read reduced engine power lost all power could not control the steering wheel! then the car shut down and continued to roll down the highway.almost got hit by other cars from behind. Very frightening for me I almost got a panic attack. I managed to stop the car on the shoulder of the road with half of the car still blocking other will not start. The battery is new.I have done research on social media and there's thousands of GM customers who have or are facing the same issues. Is this another cover up by GM that's continuously ignoring this problem and the consumers are paying thousands of dollars in this repair. I was told I need repairs that will cost $4000 dollars on a 2011 GMC Terrain car I got a year ago. This is ridiculous. Who is fighting for the consumers?

- Iowa, IA, USA

Feb 152015

Terrain 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway at 60 mph and all of a sudden lost power. The reduced power and check stabilitrak messages appeared on the screen. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the engine off. I immediately tried starting the vehicle again and it did, so went on my way. Got down the road about three miles and the same thing, so pulled to the side of the road and turned the engine off. I tried to start the vehicle, but there was no response, everything was dead. I waited several minutes and tried again and it started. I continued on my way and didn't have anymore trouble getting to my destination. A couple of days later, the same thing happened except when I tried to turn the vehicle off, it continued to run very roughly and then finally shut off. It did start again and had the engine light on. I've had the vehicle to the local GMC dealer when the first incident happened, however when they tried to read the codes, there were no codes to read even though the engine light was on. I was told everything checked out fine. I was down the to dealer again today with the engine light on again, but before they could check it out, the engine light had gone out. To me this is a very serious problem as it can very easily cause an accident. So far I've been lucky that I haven't lost the power steering or brakes.

- Montevideo, MN, USA

Jan 012015

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Terrain. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently to 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed the that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Roscommon, MI, USA

Dec 172014

Terrain 6-cyl

While traveling on interstate 376 West out of down town pittsburgh, pa during rush hour the service stabilitrack warning message appeared and then the reduced engine power warning came on. At the time we were traveling about 45 mph and the engine would not go any faster than 20 mph when we got the messages, we had to try to get over to the side of the road.... we turned off the vehicle and waited 10 minutes and it reset itself... it happened 3 more times on Monday 12/22 and the last time I could barely turn the steering wheel.. it turned out to be the throttle body needing replaced.

- Mt Holly Springs, PA, USA

Dec 112013

Terrain 6-cyl

Our vehicle has experienced the rough idle and hard/stalled shifting since we bought it in 2011. It has been reviewed by the dealership and we were told a recent recall would fix the issue. It did not and these issues have continued. Recently, this issue happened again, followed by the check engine light turning on, followed by (a few hours later) the engine going into "reduced engine mode" and the entire vehicle shaking uncontrollably with thumping noises coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was stopped and restarted and within a few miles, this same issue happened again, which was very difficult to handle and very unsafe for travel in the city. We had to get a tow to the dealership and the service department at the dealership we bought this from says the throttle positions sensor is defective and needs replaced as well as there is a misfire in the injectors due to carbon buildup in the fuel line. None of these repairs are covered under the power train warranty, and this vehicle only has 50,000 miles on it currently. Upon research of these part, symptoms of this part going out are stalled shifting or hard shifting, as well as rough idling. Please research this case as I feel this is a more universal problem that has yet to be addressed properly.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Dec 012011

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Terrain. The contact stated that there was an oil leak and the vehicle shifted erratically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times where it was confirmed that there was an oil leak and the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the transmission was eventually replaced but both failures recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 26,000.

- Blakely, PA, USA

Aug 202011

My truck experienced it's first problem in August of 2011. I had only had my truck for six months. The truck was entering onto the expressway and as I was pressing the gas the truck begin to stall. The reduced engine light came on and the truck decelerates and cut off. We were blessed that we were able to get to right shoulder of the road. We waited about ten minutes, the truck finally started and the engine light remained on. I contacted the dealer and took the truck in as soon as I could get an appointment. Was told the truck was fixed and since I have been in five times for the same problem. The fact that the truck decelerates while driving on the expressway is enough that I don't want to drive the truck. I have been using other peoples cars and trucks because I don't want to put mine on the expressway out of own. It is a death trap waiting to happen and anyone driving a Terrain should be made aware of the problem. The service department did everything possible and had to contact manufacturer about the problem and they could not narrow down the problem. They have replaced so many parts at this point I have lost track of things that have been replaced. This truck is not safe and the problem is not been resolved. The car still idles and shakes and no one plans to find out why as long as the engine light is not on. No one wants to take responsibility for this issue and it is really disappointing that the manufacturer would rather not deal with this problem and wait for a fatality to occur before looking into. You would think they would learn from Toyota and take customers lives seriously. Would they put there families in this truck ? I just want them to take the truck back because I don't want to use my life as an example for a defective truck.

- Chicago, IL, USA