2011 GMC Terrain seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 GMC Terrain:

2011 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

Mar 122016

Terrain

Takata recall? on March 12, my wife and I were in a collision with another vehicle. We were on a city street in tulsa, Oklahoma when we rearended another vehicle. It was a fairly minor accident at less than 40 mph, but my wife sustained severe injuries to her right eye and both arms. She broke the major bone in both of her arms right above the wrist area, and her right eye was lacerated and exploded from the socket. She has been through numerous surgeries for her eye and arms. She is currently blind in her right eye. Her seatbelt did not restain her from coming forward, and we still do not know what hit her in the eye. All of the airbags in the car exploded, and we believe that this might have caused her eye injury, but we are unsure as to why her seatbelt would have not restrained her from what caused the injuries to her arms and eye.

- Bartlesville, OK, USA

Jan 152016

Terrain

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Terrain. While driving 55 mph, the contact fell asleep crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the spine, which required medical attention. There were no injuries sustained to the driver of the other vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Stover, MO, USA

Nov 122015

Terrain

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Terrain. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact crashed into the side of another vehicle that veered into the contact's lane. The air bags failed to deploy. There were minor injuries that did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a tow yard. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.......updated 04/01/16

- Butler, GA, USA

Jul 102015

Terrain

I had purhased a 2011 GMC terrian and have gotten three letters saying don't bring in to dealer until the problems happen one side -impact circuit cause-airbag-readiness light illuminate and the service air bag message to display. GMC extened the protection for 10 years or 120,000 miles. The second that was sent the steering same protection and the third letter for oil consumption which it is doing now. This not safe for my wife and me or the any other passengers. What is your addvismentfor me.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Apr 152015

Terrain

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Terrain. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the air bag warning light illuminated repeatedly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the hydraulic inflator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 162015

Terrain 4-cyl

I was pulling into a parking spot on Monday night and just brushed the curb with the front passenger tire. After I came to a stop, the side airbags deployed. The service stabilitrak light comes on and off as well as all other dash lights flickering as the radio turned off and the power steering goes out.

- Englewood, OH, USA

Mar 202014

Terrain 4-cyl

March 2014 we had a airbag warning light come on and a warning on the odometer screen as well so we took it in to GMC weatherford tx and reported it but they said it would be $125 to just check it. Well we didn't and don't have the $125 to check it and then maybe not be fixed and we don't have it now. After this last airbag recall I have to wonder if it should have included my 2011 GMC Terrain. The light and alarm still goes off so it is very scary. Is there a way that this can be checked without cost?

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Mar 012012

Terrain 4-cyl

I started taking my 2011 GMC Terrain into the dealership where I bought it from when my airbag warning light started randomly coming on and off as I was driving. It was under warranty at that time and they would get it to go off for a day... but then it would come back on. One time I took it in, and the lady looked and said that it was nothing and to continue to drive it until they could get to it in a few weeks because they were backed up. When I took it in...my mileage was 100 miles till my warranty was out...they again... stated that it was something that I was doing and released it back to me. It now remains on constantly... and all of these recalls are happening with airbags going off or not going off! I am scared to death to drive my car, but I have no other choice. I am still making payments on this vehicle that is a potential hazard to myself and my family! the dealership said that they can see if they can get a code from scanning it for $100 plus whatever is wrong with it. This problem has been going on way too long for me to have to be out of pocket any money! they should be paying me for all of this mess! please help me!!!

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Jul 192014

Terrain

I had a airbag warning indication. I took the SUV to GMC and they indicated the issue is in the seat, as the individual sit in the seat it flexes the cannon plug with cause the airbag system to disable, and send a warning. They indicated they could not correct the issue without deviating due to safety concerns and they asked me to contact ntsb to indicate the safety issue.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 292011

Terrain 6-cyl

I was on the interstate in cincinnati, Ohio when a deer crossed over the jersey wall onto the roadway as I was just beginning to exit. I hit the deer at a minimum speed of 45-50mph. My airbag did not deploy. Although I was unharmed I am concerned about the failure of the airbag to deploy given my speed and front impact. My vehicle has also recently had an intermittent issue with sudden loss of power that has been attributed to the stability control system. Given the recent rash of incidents surrounding GMC vehicles and the lack of recalls on the Terrain vehicle, I am reporting these incidents at this time as I am concerned that they may be indicative of broader problem with the Terrain model of vehicle.

- Union, KY, USA

Jun 212011

Terrain 4-cyl

I was going to a 930 am doctor appt@the cancer clinic, with my husband & father as passengers. I was in the left turn lane northbound attempting to turn into the hospital. It was 910 am. There was a lg. Delivery truck opposite me in the southbound left turn lane. As I pulled in the southbound lane, easing forward to ensure clearance the other car behind the delivery truck pulled out and around the truck and sped up to go through the intersection to make the lightthat was amber at this point. My father said that her head was down and she didn't look up until just before impact. There were no skid marks & the impact was high on the pass. Side of my vehicle rocking us up onto 2 wheels on the drivers side & then back down on all 4. my vehicle was T-boned on the front passenger side. The lady came out from behind the delivery truck at the last second, changed lanes & proceeded into the intersection at the same time I was trying to turn left. At this point the light was yellow. I have, I do believe 8 air bags, with 8 sensors in the Terrain's. also I have a full subscription to onstar which also has crash sensors in my car. * one air bag went off nor did any sensors**. onstar did not call me after the crash to tell me that they would be sending help, ambulance, police etc. My injuries were: Contusion to left side of head above ear. Scalp wound above right ear, with permanent indentation to right side of my head,2 small cuts right side of forehead. Black eyes. Pain in neck & stiffness. Right eye socket @ eye brow swollen. Husband: Seatbelt bruising, neck pain/stiffness. My father, neck pain, stiffness, scraped skin on instep of right foot. This formal complaint is with General Motors, GMC Terrain, & onstar for not 1 airbag having not gone off/deployed, nor did onstar make any effort to contact me. I contacted both GM & onstar & they did nothing to compensate me.

- Waynesville, OH, USA

May 202013

Terrain

The contact owns a 2011 General Motors Terrain. The contact stated while driving approximately 20 mph, another vehicle crashed into the contact's passenger's side of the vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. There was no injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not towed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who repaired the vehicle. The contact stated since the crash, the service air bag warning indicator illuminates intermittently. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 32,275.

- Sedalia, MO, USA

Oct 282013

Terrain 4-cyl

I started my vehicle and it went through its customary systems check. While I was operating the vehicle a warning message appeared. It stated, service airbag. In addition, the symbol on the instrument panel display appeared indicating a airbag problem. Obviously this is a serious safety concern because the air bag may unexpectedly inflate or may not work at all in a crash. I purchased this vehicle in December 2010, and it only has 42000 miles on it with regular routine maintenance. I believe that such a serious manufacturer's defect should not be occurring in the limited time this vehicle has been operating. Due to the unsafe and serious nature of this defect, I would like to see GMC corporation stand behind their product and show concern about their customers safety by recalling and repairing this vehicle and any other GMC vehicle experiencing this problem.

- Batavia, OH, USA

Mar 202013

Terrain

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Terrain. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, he noticed that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was later taken to the dealer where they advised that the air bag connectors that were under the driver and passenger side front seats failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 22,574. The current mileage was approximately 22,600. The VIN was unavailable.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 232013

Terrain

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Terrain. The contact stated that while traveling 55 mph, the vehicle crashed into the rear of the preceding vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact sustained injuries to the nose and lip. The failure and current mileage was 55,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Goshen , IN, USA

Apr 202011

Terrain

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Terrain. The contact stated that another vehicle crashed into the rear of her vehicle, and the air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and the driver suffered minor bruising. The vehicle was towed to a local repair shop where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem who performed an investigation and the investigators concluded that there was no problem with the air bags. The VIN was not available and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 1,100.

- Ocean Port , NJ, USA