1.1

2012 GMC Terrain accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 GMC Terrain:

2012 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

Aug 292016

Terrain

Linkage arm broken from motor. Windshield wiper motor sounded, but would not move. The recall for 2013 should apply to 2012 as well.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Sep 292016

Terrain

I was driving to work in extremely heavy rain this past Thursday morning during rush hour. I was traveling on I 96 in detroit and was probably going 60 mph which is 10 mph below the speed limit. Without any warning, my windshield wipers which were on high due to the very heavy rain, ceased to work leaving me in an extreamly dangerous position. I was unable to see and was in heavy traffic. I slowed my speed, turned on hazard lights and moved to the right shoulder safely, thankfully. I called road service to get a tow and had my car serviced at a local gas station. The mechanic said I needed a new wiper module which cost me $260. I found a recall for the exact same problem for 2013 GMC Terrains, NHTSA recall no. 16V-582, manufacturer recall no:25302. I feel they should look into including earlier models.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Sep 302016

Terrain

The contact owns a 2012 GMC Terrain. While driving 60 mph, the windshield wipers seized without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Feb 242016

Terrain

The contact owns a 2012 GMC Terrain. While driving approximately 40 mph in the rain, the windshield wiper on the driver side failed. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the driver side wiper failed and needed to be replaced. The windshield wiper transmission linkage was replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V582000 (visibility). The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Guilderland, NY, USA

Apr 042016

Terrain 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 GMC Terrain. Without warning, an internal ball joint rod fractured and caused the driver side windshield wiper to fail while driving during inclement weather. The contact was able to pull the vehicle over to the side of the road to make adjustments. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wiper transmission rod prematurely fractured. The part was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 10/19/16 updated 10/24/16.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Aug 272016

• 1,000,000 miles
Windshield wiper failure to continue to operate while car in use. Wipers came out of socket repair shop said that sometimes the ball joints corrode and the windshield wipers become inoperable. After investigation it sounds like this is a common complaint with the 2013 and on wondering if this is also a complaint with the 2012? this has now happened to us twice. Both times we were driving in the rain the second time I had just started out and ended up going home the first time it was en route and was incredibly difficult to pull over we almost caused an accident because it was raining hard and I couldn't see the wipers stopped in the upright position and were also in my way when they stopped in my visual field. I had to roll my driver side down in order to see. This was horribly scarry and the 2012 models need to be investigated for the same defects that the 2013 are being recalled for.

- Spring Valley, MN, USA

Dec 282015

Terrain

Wipers in "on" position, wiper motor audibly running, neither wiper blade would move across windshield, both remain stationary. Can manually move both blades freely, no binding, in unison validating linkage between the two blade arms were still connected. Suspected motor shaft/spline connecting to the "blade transmission" was disconnected, stripped, or fell off. To ensure not an electrical issue, removed 25 amp fuse (no. 29) from engine compartment fuse buss and inspected fuse. Fuse intact and in like new condition. Reinstalled the fuse resuming motor function. Drove the vehicle to valentine GMC Buick, fairborn, Ohio and asked service mgr if a tsb referencing this safety issue had been reported. The service mgr did not comment; instead he showed me an illustrated parts breakdown of the area in question pointing to the blade transmission. To confirm my diagnosis, he had one of their mechanics inspect the area in question pending the removal of a panel. Service mgr followed by stating I "might" not have to pay, depending on the problem. The inspection proved it was indeed the wiper blade transmission P/N 25948436, GM at fault. The service mgr also stated parts on-hand followed by a $250 quote to replace. With the area in question apart, I concurred with the work which was done in a few minutes. After examining the bill, I crossed this part number on-line and found countless genuine GM sources charging far less; $95.16, to be exact (less shipping and includes 1 yr warranty). I brought it up to their attention and was told their list price is $199.95 with the same 1 year warranty, and the labor cost was discounted down to $85 per hour. Regardless of costs, the fact remains; low or no visibility could result in a crash causing injury or death unless addressed. Recommend researching other vehicles carrying this part for potential failure.

- New Lebanon, OH, USA

May 152012

Terrain

The contact owns a 2012 GMC Terrain. While driving approximately 65 mph the contact opened the rear driver and passenger side windows and noticed the sunroof began to vibrate violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated nothing could be done because the vehicle was designed that way; therefore, there are unable to repair the vibration. When the contact opened the front and rear driver and passenger windows the vibration did not occur. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 5,700.

- Memphis, TN, USA