5.2

2014 GMC Terrain engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Terrain:

2014 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

Oct 082016

Terrain

3 years old now and still getting around 10mpg and from the first day I got it in 2014 the drive shaft is rusted and was told by the dealer that nothing is wrong with the car. I also notice that when driving at night that the head lights are not made to see street name signs I have to use the high beams to see if I have the right street when looking for the place I have to go.

- Hudson, FL, USA

Jan 222016

Terrain

Wife was driving her vehicle, all service engine lights displayed, car de-accelerated and was able to limp into a business on a 45 mph road. Took car to dealership, all service engine lights were on display, service technician acknowledged this. Cannot duplicate problem, no problem found in diagnostic testing.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Nov 142015

Terrain

I was driving my Terrain yesterday, and went to adjust my heater vent and when I bumped my ignition key, it went into the accessory position, shutting off the engine and power steering

- Rittman, OH, USA

May 052015

Terrain

Drove my 2014 6 cylinder GMC Terrain with engine oil level filled for 4 cylinder before discovery of the dangerous oil level. GMC in detroit was notified in certified letter and local dealer was notified. Neither responded in writing as I requested.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 042015

Terrain 6-cyl

Driver had stopped at stop sign on the exit ramp and as she began to accelerate to crossover to appropriate lane the car stalled in the middle of the road, reduced engine light came on, and check stability light lit. This was in a very dangerous location as the side road the driver was located was at the bottom of a hill, so oncoming traffic would not have been able to stop and it would have been a T-bone hit for the driver and head on for the oncoming vehicle. The car slowly (very, very slowly) moved forward enough to finally get across street and to a safe place. Although no accidents or injuries occurred, it was by the grace of god that no traffic was coming over the hill. This had the potential and has the potential of being a deadly problem if it occurs again or if another vehicle has the same issue. Immediately had tow truck pick up car and take to GMC dealership. I am awaiting the results from the dealership. My work requires a lot of travel and now I do not feel safe in this car with this issue (which after research today seems to happen a lot in GMC vehicles. )

- Centre, AL, USA

Feb 072015

Terrain

The contact owns a 2014 GMC Terrain. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph and approaching a stop light, the vehicle revved up to 10,000 RPM's as the engine stalled without warning. The instrument panel and exterior lights failed. The failure recurred two times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,000. Updated 5/19/15

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Oct 172014

Terrain 4-cyl

I was driving home after work around 7pm going about 45-50 mph and all of a sudden my car began slowing down and I could not accelerate. This is when I realized that my car had shut off while driving. Also, my headlights turned off which I noticed immediately since it was dark outside, the computer system shut down, gas indicator went to E and the engine turned off. I was able to coast over to the right lane and as the car was slowing down my steering wheel began to lock up. Once I was fully pulled over from the traffic, I braked and put the car into park. I waited a few minutes to catch my breath on what had just happened because this could have caused a bad accident if it were more traffic. Since I was pulled over I thought I would try to restart my car. Before I restarted it, I noticed that my key ignition was still in the on position so I turned it back to take the key out and then immediately placed it back in and turned it to successfully restart the car. This is the first time that this has happened in this car. I've had it since Dec. 2013 and have a little over 15K miles. I will be contacting the GMC dealership regarding this issue since I did not see any recalls addressing this issue.

- Crofton, MD, USA