6.6

2015 GMC Terrain steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 GMC Terrain:

2015 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

Mar 042015

Terrain 6-cyl

While making a right turn at the bottom of a freeway offramp the keys on the keyring attached to the key in the ignition got stuck in the steering wheel. This briefly prevented me from exiting the turn, and then when the keys broke free the car had turned itself off!! I had no power steering, no power breaks and no headlights. I was on a slight downgrade and was able to coast to the next block where I turned right out of traffic before coming to a full stop. I was then able to restart the car after putting into neutral (or park, don't remember). The keychain that got stuck was from enterprise rental and had 2 key-fobs on it plus a plastic id tag on a small wire ring. This, combined with the poor placement of the ignition switch, has resulted in my hitting the keys with my hands while steering several times since renting the car 5 days ago. The ignition switch is located very close to the wheel and the ignition key which sticks out of the large key-fob is very close to the steering wheel even without other keys on the ring. Testing this in my driveway it is very easy to turn the car off while in drive. Very scary!

- San Francisco, CA, USA