2002 GMC Yukon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 GMC Yukon:

2002 GMC Yukon Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 152015

Yukon

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Yukon. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 50 mph and towing a boat, the brake pedal was depressed and traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle was able to come to a stop. Upon inspection, it was discovered that brake fluid had leaked from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the failure was caused by rusted brake lines. The brake lines were replaced and the failure was remedied. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Feb 292016

Yukon

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Yukon. While driving 5 mph, the ABS engaged without warning when the brake pedal was depressed. The issue made it difficult to stop the vehicle for at least five car lengths. The brake pedal became stiff and the vehicle was difficult to maneuver. The vehicle came to a stop only after the brake pedal was depressed several times. The hydraulic pump malfunctioned and caused the contact to have a difficult time parallel parking without the vehicle rolling away. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 200,000.

- East Chicago, IN, USA

Jan 012015

Yukon 6-cyl

When braking at a slow rate of speed it feels like my ABS is trying to engage. Pulsations in brake pedal and slow to stop. This occurs in any type of weather. I read that there was a recall for this exact problem. When I contacted the recall help line I was told that my vehicle VIN was not included. Odd. All the symptoms are there and it started right at the time my vehicle turn 65,000 miles. Someone please help me. I'm afraid to drive my vehicle and I have called around to GMC dealers and they will not attempt to assist me with this matter.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 062015

Yukon

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Yukon. While driving approximately 25 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to decelerate. The contact stated that the driver had to pump the brake in order for the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The vehicle was repaired by the driver, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 135,000.

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Jul 072015

Yukon

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Yukon. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would experience increased stopping distant when depressing the brake pedal. The contact indicated that the failure was intermittent and occurred on both wet and dry pavements. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ABS failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic:antilock). The failure mileage was 145,000.

- Duxbury, MA, USA

Apr 052015

Yukon

I was driving to the local supermarket and applied my brakes. Suddenly they went all the way to the floor. I could not stop and had to swerve out of the way of a vehicle in front of me to avoid a collision. I eventually stopped by applying the emergency brake.

- Floral Park, NY, USA

Mar 272013

Yukon

On several occasions when applying brakes to stop the Yukon it fails to stop and then ABS kicks in causing brake pedal to vibrate and loss of pressure in brake pedal then truck does not stop it slides. I have replaced master cylinder did not help, truck needs all new brake lines due to rust. I have quickly move around cars to prevent a accident, due to this brake failure. Since I am in South Florida GM won't fix this known manufacture defect because sf is not a "salt belt" state, but I live on the beach and the salt water has started to have a major impact just like the northern states on these faulty brake lines. The break lines are covered in rust and this is a major safety concern and GM should fix all vehicles with this known defect not just some. This 2002 Yukon is sle with a 5.3L VIN Z.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Feb 022015

Yukon

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Yukon. The contact stated that while driving at 5 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to stop. The contact had to depress the brake pedal repeatedly in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 246,000.

- Mundelein , IL, USA

Oct 062014

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

Without warning we experienced a total brake failure due to loss of brake fluid. Pedal went completely to the floor and it caused our vehicle to lose total speed control.

- Sussex, NJ, USA

Jan 152014

Yukon

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Yukon. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the ABS and the brake warning lights illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the hub assemblies needed to be replaced. The driver side hub assembly was replaced but the passenger side was not replaced. The VIN was not included NHTSA campaign number: 07E106000 (wheels). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 240,000.

- Madison , MS, USA

Nov 182014

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Yukon. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph attempting to engage the brakes, the ABS would erroneously activate causing the braking distance to be extended. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 107,000. Updated 12/22/14 updated 05/26/2015

- Medford, MA, USA

Sep 232013

Yukon

The contact owns a 2002 GMC Yukon. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph, the brakes failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the brake lines needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Sep 202014

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

I completely lost the brakes. After further inspection, discovered that the brake lines are completely rusted.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Sep 132014

Yukon

Hit brakes to stop pedal went to floor truck did stop but took alt longer than usual went to garage rusted brake lines one had broke this is second time this has happened two years ago had one line repaired same problem.

- Hazlet, NJ, USA

Aug 302014

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

Today my wife took our very good condition well maintained garage kept 2002 GMC Yukon to dunkin donuts to get coffee. She was stopped in the drive thru line when she heard an air sound as her foot on the brake went to the floor, she was able to limp home, about a mile, by pumping the brakes and it was early so nobody was on the road. Indeed the brake line above the fuel tank was broken, I know because I dropped the fuel tank. We were lucky she didn't get in an accident and we weren't on vacation far away. I also flush out the brake lines with new fluid every time I change the brake pads. I know a lot of people with cars much older than ours and no brake line issues. We also had brake line issues with a 2003 GMC Yukon XL. Something needs to be done about this since this is not normal. And this happened when she was stopped in line, not after a hard emergency braking.

- North Wales, PA, USA

Jul 182014

Yukon 8-cyl

While braking from a speed of 45 mph to stop for a traffic signal, the brakes failed. I was able to engage the parking brake to stop the vehicle several feet past the stop line. Fortunately, no accident resulted from this incident. The vehicle was taken to a local shop where they discovered that the brake line had failed at a 90 degree bend due to corrosion. Upon research, the shop said that a service bulletin had been issued stating that the entire brake line would need to be replaced because it is subject to corrosion at every point where there is a mounting bracket attaching it to the vehicle.

- Rockaway Beach, OR, USA

Apr 122014

Yukon 8-cyl

After a morning of driving around town doing errands I returned home with groceries. While there I decided to swap out my reverse light bulbs before driving my son to baseball practice. While making this maintenance repair the brakes on my truck failed completely. The brakes sank all the way to the floor. Fortunately I was able to keep the truck from backing into the cars parked across the street behind me..and that I had not gone right out to drive my son to baseball. When I got out to inspect the brake lines had completely imploded and brake fluid was leaking everywhere. After having it towed to a repair shop I was told my brakes had completely rusted out.

- Spring Valley, NY, USA

May 102014

Yukon 8-cyl

Brakes failed as I tried to stop. All brake lines had to be replaced due to corrosion. The vehicle was purchased new and is always kept in a dry garage.

- Rockford , MI, USA

May 072010

Yukon 8-cyl

ABS and brake light dashboard indicator light activates after any rain or underside of car becoming wet due to road moisture. Water, salt, and other environmental contaminants cause various components of the ABS to fail triggering the ABS and/or brake failure light on dashboard to turn on. Various GM dealer recommend replacement of the electronic brake control module and brake pressure valve in addition to associated connection hardware. Estimated cost of parts is in excess of $2K and labor is $500. No assurances are given this will fix problem. Previous recalls by GM, vehicle owner complaints, internet websites, and internet forums address ongoing ABS and brake light system problems due to exposure to water, moisture, and other environmental elements; indicates the life cycle of GM ABS and brake systems are severely reduced in comparison to all other makes and model cars/trucks with ABS systems. The number one NHTSA complaint issue remains the ABS brake system on GMC Yukon produced from 2000 to 2006. There have been various NHTSA/GMC recall notices that address partial fixes to the ABS but none requiring the recall of the complete ABS system itself. Failure of the ABS will result in brake lockup at any speed. The failure of the ABS system to function properly because GM did not design the system for it's operating environment has created a dangerous expensive problem for GMC Yukon owner/operators.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Apr 132014

Yukon 8-cyl

I noticed some fluid under the middle of vehicle and thought it was water but as I was heading to church Sunday night my brake peddle went all the way to the floor, was very disturbing and scary to me but was able to stop and get home safely. Next day in the daylight I check out my fluid and the brake fluid box was completely empty! took to dealership and was informed that brake lines rusted and leaking per say $1500 job to fix. Also, informed that I needed a new water pump too. I just replaced the power steering pump 2 weeks before this occurred. GMC needs to make this a recall immediately before someone gets killed.

- Charlotte, NC, USA