1.4

2004 GMC Yukon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Yukon:

2004 GMC Yukon Owner Comments

Sep 052016

Yukon

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Yukon. While moving from the park position, the brake system disable warning indicator illuminated. The brake pedal was depressed, but failed to operate. The emergency brakes also failed to operate. The contact stated that there was brake fluid evident under the front of the vehicle. The contact also stated that the brake line was extremely corroded. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V045000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 152,000.

- Marseilles, IL, USA

Aug 122016

Yukon

While driving down road at approximately 45 mph, hit the brakes when a couple of deer jumped onto road and the pedal went to floor with no braking action at all. Had enough time to realize what had happened and hit the parking brake in time before reaching intersection to busy highway. Inspection afterward showed brake fluid on the frame near the driver side door where the proportioning valve is located. There was no warning of the failure and had been driving the vehicle around town most of the day. Have experienced brake failures on vehicles before and always had half the system remain operational enough to stop without problem. This appears to have been a single failure mode that caused the loss of braking or a simultaneous failure of multiple systems which should be unlikely but seems to happen with improbable regularity based on complaints posted.

- Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Aug 142015

Yukon

Brake lines rusted in to causing the lines to weaken. Driving to my house, push on brake pedal it went to the floor look under vehicle and there was a pool of brake fluid under the vehicle. This could have been a serious accident in traffic.

- Langsville, OH, USA

Jul 022015

Yukon

While driving down an on ramp I began to apply the brakes to slow down, the brake pedal sunk to the floor and I had no braking capability and the brake warning appeared on the dash. I pumped the brake again and still had no braking capability, I was able to coast to a stop along the side of the road. Upon inspection of the brake lines, there was a major leak on the rear driver side, and a smaller leak from on the front passenger side.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Nov 282013

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

Lost all brakes when coming to a stop sign, rolled out into intersection, on inspection brake fluid was leaking out from under drivers side floor area. All brake fluid leaked out from reservoir.

- Pembroke, MA, USA

Sep 242014

Yukon

Backing up to hook up a trailer, I depressed the brake and it went straight to the floor. Rear brake line ruptured after ABS module and right about the fuel tank. I cannot replace just they one line because of corrosion and rust at the module. This is the family SUV and im lucky this happened in my yard and not on the highway. I was preparing to leave towing a 5500lb trailer. All these other lines are equally bad and I fear they are going to rupture too. I'm stuck with a 10 year old less than safe vehicle.

- Escanaba, MI, USA

May 222014

Yukon 8-cyl

I was heading to ocean city Maryland. As I was approaching the toll plaza to go over the bay bridge I slowed down and seem to had stopped when all the sudden my foot was on the brake clear to the floor and I hit the box truck in front of me that was stopped for traffic. I looked at the dash and it was all lit up and blinking. The gentleman told me I had lost my breaks and that when he would move I would begin to move as well. I was not far from the beginning of the bridge but I was six or seven lanes to the left in the easypass lane. I called my brother asking him what to do and he talked me through as I was panicking. I had a full tank of gas and lots of tractor trailers going through the plaza. I was for sure I was going to be hit or hit someone else. I rolled down my windows put my flashers on and began to blow my horn and yelling out the window I have no brakes so that I could get over to the right side of the road right before the bridge. As I did people did stop and let me get over and I had my foot on the brake but they were not stopping the truck. As I was drifting over a toll facility tow truck was on the side and he yelled to me what was wrong. I told him no brakes and he told me to jump out and he jumped in and hit the truck up over a small embankment to get it out of the way of all the traffic. He got it to stop and got out and looked up under the truck and could see that two of the brake lines were snapped. I had the truck towed with over the bay bridge and they had to replace the two brake lines that snapped and they could not bleed the lines fully since they were afraid that the other two lines could snap at any time. I got home and had to have the other two lines done as well. I have to say I was never so scared in my life I could have died for sure if I was going any faster up an over the bridge and down the hill getting off. Worst day of my life.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 182013

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

Upon applying brakes, while driving downhill, the right rear steel brake line burst resulting in significant loss of braking power. Fortunately, Y I had significant distance between me and the next car that I could avoid an accident. The vehicle still had some braking power to allow me to drive it to a nearby parking lot where it continued to lose brake fluid. The vehicle was towed to a local GMC dealership where they replaced all the steel lines with copper/nickel lines at a cost of $1,606. I was told that the steel lines are rusting out as a result of the de-icing chemicals being used on the roads during the winter. I have had vehicles up to 15 years old in the past and never had such an experience as this. I question the quality of the steel lines. If GM is of the opinion that their steel lines can't withstand the de-icing chemicals then they should have installed copper/nickel lines at the factory. Thank you.

- Cape Elizabeth , ME, USA

Mar 052014

Yukon 8-cyl

The contact own a 2004 GMC yucon- the contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, when he tried to come to a stop the brake pedal extended to the floor. The vehicle could only be stopped by using the emergency brake. The vehicle was driven to a nearby dealer who indicated that the brake line needed to be replaced because of corrosion. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 78,271.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Feb 222014

Yukon 8-cyl

I applied the brakes firmly to avoid hitting a deer. On my next brake application my pedal went to the floor and the service brake system message came on. When I got home I found a ruptured brake line underrate drivers door. All lines are rusted severely as well as most of the undercarriage. I looked online and there are hundreds of complaints on this issue with GM vehicles similar to mine.

- Laurel Hill, NC, USA

Nov 242013

Yukon 8-cyl

No problem yet, but is sure to happen. Brake lines rusted. Had same problem on my 2005 GMC Yukon denali XL where the metal lines rusted and blew out. Almost caused accident.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Aug 132013

Yukon

Car has low miles for age and today the brake line began to leak under driver side seat because of rust.

- Ramsey, NJ, USA

Aug 092013

Yukon 8-cyl

I was traveling on the New York state thruway at approximately 4:00pm, in heavy traffic. Traffic began to slow and become backed up, due to congestion in a work zone. I applied my brakes, put the brake pedal went all the way to the floor, and I was unable to stop. I avoided colliding with the vehicle in front of me, by maneuvering onto the shoulder, and had to use the emergency brakes to stop.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jul 112013

Yukon 8-cyl

As I was backing my truck out of my driveway, I release there was no brake pressure. Then the service brake light came on, I stop the car popped the hood and notice the fluid was low. Check under the car and found the line that goes front to rear is busted in the middle from rust. I had to use my parking brake to slow it down when I moved it back to its space.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Mar 012013

Yukon 8-cyl

Brakes were reduced to about 10% of normal and the 'service brakes' light came on. I had to push the pedal all the way down to the floor to stop. The mechanic said all of the brake lines must be replaced as they are rusted, and that this is a typical problem with GMC trucks of this type.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Sep 272012

Yukon 8-cyl

I was hooking up a dump trailer to my 2004 Yukon XL and when I went to do a turn signal and brake light check on the trailer, my brake pedal went to the floor. No warnings of any kind. I am extremely lucky that I was not moving and had just completed driving in high speed traffic for several hundred miles. The failure was total and immediate. I drove the vehicle to a nearby shop with the parking brake. The shop diagnosed the brake failure as corrosion in brake lines and fittings. I just moved to Florida this year, previously the vehicle had been driven in heavily salted and brined roads in the northeast.

- Pine Ridge, FL, USA

Aug 222012

Yukon

Drove vehicle to my destination for shopping, no signs or warning what to follow. Came out of facility, started vehicle, backed up vehicle, stepped on brake, pedal to floor, said this can't be, pulled a little forward same thing no brakes, got out of vehicle found river of brake fluid. Had vehicle towed to my mechanic where he alerted me that all brake lines were rotted out. All lines now need to be replaced at a cost of $1500 with non-corrosive lines. This is a disgrace and I have called GM to complain who says there is no recall. People are going to die if this is not fixed.

- Cape May Court House Nj, NJ, USA

Aug 022012

Yukon 8-cyl

Backing up applied brakes, pedal went to floor, stopped looked under vehicle seen brake fluid leaking from brake lines. Towed vehicle home, looking under vehicle fuel lines and brake lines are very rusted for vehicle with only 80,000 miles.

- Heflin, LA, USA