2.2

2006 GMC Yukon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 GMC Yukon:

2006 GMC Yukon Owner Comments

Feb 132010

Yukon

When I am starting out or turning a corner the vehicle will intermittently bog down. This has been going on for about 5-6 years. I had taken it to a dealership in columbus Ohio when it first happened and they told me it was a problem in the steering column but not covered under warranty or recall. It was going to cost me $300 to have fixed. This sounds very similar to the two complaints made 1/11/2010 NHTSA id#10299018 and 9/21/2015 NHTSA id#10766680. This has something to do with the stabilitrak system. This is a very dangerous situation and should have been fixed by a dealership no questions asked. I just disconnect it at the dash and put up with the yellow warning light. For a GM vehicle that listed for $58,735 11 years ago I am very disappointed with GM. The sunroof has not worked for years ( a $1,000 fix item) replaced the fan blower motor (somewhere around $400+) and I only have 109,000 miles on it. The noted items occurring in the 50-75,000 mile range. I can see why Honda, Acura, Toyota and Lexus have such a great following. They lead and I will follow with my next vehicle.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Jul 082009

Yukon

The first time this happened I was driving at approx. 45 mph on secondary road when all lights dimmed and the vehicle power went down to almost nothing. The power steering and brakes went out and I had to pull off of the highway. I turned the ignition off and waited a few minutes, then re-started which seemed to have re-set things. It ran ok to my destination. But since then (a year or so) it bogs down when starting out from idle such as a traffic light, and the lights dim. At the same time, it makes a grinding sound as if from the brakes and the brake peddle becomes stiff as though it is trying to offset my braking. When this happens the stability indicator states "traction active". once the vehicle is moving again, it will go off and the vehicle will act normally. I discovered that manually over-riding the traction (shutting it off), it eliminates the hesitation. But it still makes the grinding/groaning sound along with the brake issue. Once is gets up to speed, everything is fine. All of this is just on starting out after a stop. We have heard others that have the same problem, but have not been able to get it resolved. It appears to be a common problem, but no recalls have been issues to my knowledge. It is a real danger when trying to start onto a highway or intersection.

- Shippenville, PA, USA