2015 GMC Yukon electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 GMC Yukon:

2015 GMC Yukon Owner Comments

Jun 252015

Our 2015 Yukon XL denali has been in for repair service for 41 days since purchased new 3/23/15. The car has stalled while in motion with my wife and three daughters in the vehicle twice and been unresponsive to throttle input 3 additional times. The stall occurred once while turning left across traffic and another time while turning right and merging with traffic! the problem is intermittent and GMC has never been able to replicate it. They have given us the shoulder shrug, "I don't know what to tell you, we can't replicate it" line, so here are your keys. No warning indicators, no signs it may happen, and no way to pull up the issue with their diagnostics...huge safety concern and each time they have handed us the keys back after 7 days (their standard allotted time to have a loaner out) without any proactive escalation to find root cause or concern for my family's safety. The last time we took it in, they had it for 8 days and could not replicate the issue. We signed our service paperwork and I escalated to the service manager before leaving. After telling him we would be pursuing buyback, he miraculously had an idea it may be related to a wiring harness issue. This was based off his experience with a Sierra pickup (5.3L, not our 6.2L) that had similar behavior. We left the vehicle and, wouldn't you know it, they replaced a wire and "have reasonable confidence" it resolved the issue. Two weeks later, it's back in the shop for key fob not detected (after already driving). Truck is in gear and you cannot move...another huge safety concern. It's a dud. We have also had to have all 8 injectors replaced due to rough idling and the steering gear replaced from faulty manufacturing that creates a clicking while turning the wheel, the car is at the dealer and we will not be taking it back. We are going through the offical buy-back process with GMC.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Aug 132015

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 GMC Yukon. The contact stated that while reversing, the vehicle stalled without warning on two separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing on six separate occasions. The cause of the failure could not be determined. On another occasion, the contact was reversing and the vehicle stalled causing the contact to crash into a vehicle parked near the rear of the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 9,000. Updated 11/18/15 the consumer stated the vehicle also had numerous other electrical issues. Some of the issues caused the vehicle to shut down or reverse. Updated 1/12/2016 updated 01/29/16.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Mar 242014

My new, 2015 GMC denali is equipped with a backup camera and the quality is so poor at night, as to make it nearly more dangerous to use than to ignore it. I have had 3 prior GMC denali automobiles. The most recent was a 2011 which was traded in for this new one. The quality of the backup camera in the 2011 model was excellent. My wife and I immediately noted on the new car that the camera image was so blurry and poor resolution at night, we could not safely use the camera to back out of our gated driveway. In the daytime, the image is blurry as well, but usable. GMC has had the car twice for service and we have complained to GMC corporate and all we get is a statement that the "system is working normally" which is difficult to accept. The NHTSA's own statistics show that each year approx. 20 people die and 15,000 are injured due to backup incidents. Their guidelines state a camera needs to display (clearly I would assume) a 10 X 20 foot zone behind the vehicle. At night, you cannot see 20 feet clearly behind this vehicle, even in a well lighted street. I am convinced that this poor quality system is going to cause accidents if it has not done so already. GMC has an obligation to address what I believe is a sub-standard quality image. They cannot defend the fact that the image is much worse than older models of their vehicles. Fortunately, the new denali model does have a sensor system that provides a vibratory warning if you are about to contact an object, but obviously the driver needs to see clearly behind them, before they are about to strike an object in their path. I am hoping your Agency can contact GMC to help motivate them to address this issue and improve the safety of their vehicle(s) before the defect contributes to an unnecessary injury or death. In the meantime, we do not use the screen image at night. Thank you.

- Encino, CA, USA

Jan 172015

The contact owns a 2015 GMC Yukon. While driving 35 mph, all the warning lights illuminated and the four wheel drive low independently activated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the body control module needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the body control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Frankfurt, IL, USA

Sep 162014

I just completed a claim for my 2015 Yukon denali, NHTSA id #: 10643049 and read that almost the same exact issues are going on with the 2015 Chevy Tahoe models, see: NHTSA id number: 10638437, 10633519 and 10631583. When will GM see there is a pattern and issue a recall for this transmission issue? in all cases these render the calls un-drivable and having to have them towed.

- Cliffside Park, NJ, USA

Sep 172014

Yukon 4WD 8-cyl

I have a brand new 2015 Yukon denali (short wheel base) with less than a thousand miles and a "service 4WD" message that has appeared twice rendering the car extremely unsafe and un-drivable for a long distance and having to have it towed to the dealer twice. A software update was done on the car the first time, only resolved the issue for a few weeks, the issue re-occurred after 3 weeks. When turning the vehicle on the dash gives the message "service 4WD". the car has a transmission button to change from 2wd, auto, 4 high and 4 low. I do not touch this button, I just leave the car in auto and drive. I do not tow anything, this is just a family car used for commuting. When the "service 4WD' message appears, the car is barely drivable. When it is put in reverse, the car just brakes after a few feet, as if the parking brake were on, but it obvious is not engaged. When turning left or right, the car brakes mid-turn and will only complete the turn if 3/4 to full accelerator is applied to continue through the turn. The car slightly bucks through the turn and the engine sounds different and has little power going around corners and going up hills. The car cannot safely be driven in a straight line faster than 40-50 mph. I telephoned onstar and diagnostics were run during both occurrences with the same error message from onstar diagnostics: "the braking system has an issue- transfer case module not working as expected". when will GM issue a recall on this safety issue, I do not feel safe letting my wife and child in the car if it brakes by itself, loses power and cannot complete turns. I purchased this car to have a safe/large vehicle for my family: Service 4WD appears on screen it renders the car un-drivable and the transmission button becomes inoperable and selecting other transmission modes becomes not possible.

- Cliffside Park, NJ, USA

Sep 202014

Yukon 8-cyl

Door latch in the locked position while door is open. Car computer thought the door was closed and door was open. Happened two times in one day. Very serious problem is driver is allowed to drive with children in the back seat with no warning that the door did not close.

- Argyle, TX, USA