CarComplaints.com Notes: 1997 is the last model year in the 5th generation of Accord. Which means it's also the last model year before problems like widespread transmission failure, subframe rust and peeling paint took over.

Does the 1997 have problems? Sure it does. Any car this old will. Some owners say their engine started to cut out around 147,000 miles. That's still not bad, and getting to 200,000+ miles isn't out of the question.

Does anyone believe a newer Accord will reach 200,000 miles?

8.0

1997 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Honda Accord:

1997 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Jul 012009

Accord Limited Edition

I noticed a foul smell coming through my AC one day when it was on the outside air setting. I took it to a mechanic and they said there was a huge crack in my engine block which causes my car to leak SIGNIFICANTLY, like a quart and a half of oil between oil changes at 3000 miles. The oil drops onto the hot engine and burns creating this horrible smell and smoke coming up from my hood. I hear this is a pretty common problem with this make and model of accord.

- , Thousand Oaks, CA, USA