CarComplaints.com Notes: 1997 is the last model year in the 5th generation of Accord. Which means it's also the last model year before problems like widespread transmission failure, subframe rust and peeling paint took over.

Does the 1997 have problems? Sure it does. Any car this old will. Some owners say their engine started to cut out around 147,000 miles. That's still not bad, and getting to 200,000+ miles isn't out of the question.

Does anyone believe a newer Accord will reach 200,000 miles?

6.0

1997 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Honda Accord:

1997 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Jun 272009

Accord LX 4 Cyl

I took my Accord to the Honda dealership because it would stall while driving. The first time I took the car, they kept it a day and said they couldn't find a problem. The next time it stalled, I took it back and they said it was the idle air control valve. I had the valve replaced but the car still stalled on me twice in day.

- , Hampton, VA, USA

Feb 132007

Accord 2.2L

When slowing down or stopping the car just stalls out. It starts right back up but then will stall the next time I have to stop. It will idle all day long even runs good when cruising or accelerating, What makes this even worse I don't have a check engine light on. I have about $2,500 into the car just on this issue alone. I even took it to a Honda dealer and they said they have no Idea what the issue is. If anyone can assist me with this problem please use the Send Comment link below.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA