CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

8.2

$2,653.00

1. repaint entire car (65 reports)
  3. Honda should fix/repaint or reimburse owners for lost value (14 reports)
  4. to keep me as a honda owner i want re-embursement (5 reports)
  5. Honda paid to repaint the entire car (4 reports)
  6. repaint only roof and hood (2 reports)
1998 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Honda Accord:

1998 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Jan 012008

Accord EX V6

I love my Honda and would consider buy another one, BUT...the paint job is horrible and I am embarrassed to drive my car. I call Honda and of course they stated that they did not have a recall and could not find any complaints on the paint, which I have found numerous compliant on your site. Go figure. If any one has had their car repainted, please left me know the cost and how long it took to repaint?

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 252002

Accord LX 3.2L

I have a green 1998 Honda Accord LX. The clear coat started peeling 4 years after purchase. I brought it to Honda's attention and they told me...sorry, the warranty expired after 3 yr/ 30,000 miles and then they accused me of having the car repainted! REALLY?! So I found a lawyer that had success winning cases from American car companies(paint) and he said it would be no problem. After 4 independent paint companies said they would stand behind me, Honda agreed to repaint my car and they were willing to pay half of the cost. The catch was I had to have it repainted at their facility,at their convenience and my portion was going to be $3,750!! Unbelievable!!! Well, Honda said it loud and clear...they don't care. It is a shame because it has been a wonderful car except for the finish, which has affected the entire car. I guess I am a driving billboard now!

- , Sonoma, CA, USA

Mar 142007

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Clear coat pealing looks terrible, it's embarrassing. Started on the roof, then the hood, now the trunk...it's like a virus is spreading. Have typically taken very good care of the car, bought it new. If this is a Honda issue, they should be taking care of this!

- , Berkeley, CA, USA

Nov 012006

Accord LX 4 cyl

Black Honda Accord LX.. paint peeling from roof, hood, and truck. Looks terrible! Needs to be totally repainted.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 012005

Accord LX V4

Raisin pearl 1998 Honda with the most embarrassing looking paint job!!! Has been a great car except for the paint. Honda SHOULD REPAINT these cars. Any time I Google damaged clear coat or oxidized paint, there are always a slew of 1998 Honda owners with the same problem. Really stinks!!!

- , Hamshire, TX, USA

Jan 122006

Accord EX V4

Seems like 1998 Honda Accord has bad paint. I see lot of complaints about that. I hope Honda does something about that.

- , Irvine, CA, USA

Dec 132001

Accord EXL 3.0L V6

For such a wonderful car, Honda has an obligation to fix this clear coat issue and it is long overdue! I endured the transmission problem on this particular model and paid dearly and refuse to pay for the clear coat - a known issue by HONDA! America has been good to HONDA; HONDA must step up and be equally good to all who support it!

- , Odenton, MD, USA

Dec 012006

Accord LX V6

I bought my new 1998 accord green and color is peeling off from hood, trunk and top looks ugly. And this is not the only problem. There is EGR valve issue ( check engine light) twice in 130k miles with emission test fail and Shaking engine with loose/broken engine mounts.

- , Woburn, MA, USA

Dec 032008

Accord LX V4

Started a couple of years ago now it is just awful and looks terrible. Too costly to repaint. Will be buying a Toyota next time.

- , Sidney, OH, USA

Nov 282008

Accord EX V4

When i brought the car, i was so proud of it and took nice care of it. Problem started some 5 months back and the clear coat started peeling and now it looks like those Japanese assholes puked all over it rather than painting it. After the problem happened to me, i started checking if other Honda's are having this issue.. and i counted 18 Honda accords in my J.B. Hunt Transport car parking lot .. just with the same issue. Thats a @&^@&@-ing lot. period. I say Honda should do a recall and fix all our cars. I would never never never buy a Honda again nor recommend anyone to buy it. I does runs good.. but its a shame to drive one. I got a couple of quotes to have it repainted.. and MAACO's estimate is around $1700 at sprindale, AR.

- , Lowell, AR, USA

May 232008

Accord LX V4

98 Honda Accord green and the clear coat is peeling off as , My second Honda , Very disappointing that Honda is not accepting the fact that all of these people are reporting a valid manufacturer defect and not taking responsibility to fix their issue for customer satisfaction

- , Saylorsburg, PA, USA

Jan 012007

Accord LX 4 cyl

Same as most everyone green 98 accord clear coat pealing from trunk and top of car my car is an awesome looking car minus the crappy paint job from Honda

- , Gardendale, AL, USA

Jan 112007

Accord EX V6

We too have had the same notorious clear coat peeling dilemma. We purchased the '98 Honda Accord for our 16 year old daughter. We wanted a reliable vehicle that she could take to college, so Honda is what we chose. When we purchased the vehicle in Jan. '07, it had a bit of fading on the trunk, a small spot, well, it has spread like a disease. It is now everywhere and obviously needs to be painted. The vehicles color is raisin, a dark purple, and looks terrible. Our daughter is embarrassed by the car, even though she loves it, it is an eye sore. So, never EVER having to have ANY other car painted, I had no idea what this would run. I am quite honestly shocked to find out it could cost anywhere from $1100 and up. College is most expensive and I don't feel as if we should pay for a manufacturers defect on a car that's otherwise in phenomenal shape. Why in the world hasn't Honda done anything about this? I too look at other Hondas and see the same exact thing, I mean come on, we're not stupid. Acid rain? Bird poop? That's actually funny. Honda needs to step up to the plate and fix this problem. I considered buying a new Honda for myself, but until I see this problem has been resolved I will take my business elsewhere.

- , McDonough, GA, USA

Apr 022007

Accord LX 2.3L 4 cyl Vtec

When we bought a used 1998 Honda Accord, we noticed a slight discoloration on the trunk lid. This discoloration turned into a spot, then a larger spot, and then multiple spots throughout the trunk and roof. It gets waxed every 6 months, but seems to get worse after waxing. Definitely bad clearcoat from the factory, would like to have it repainted, but don't have the cash.

- , Cookeville, TN, USA

Aug 062007

Accord LX 4 cyl

I have the same problem with my '98 Accord LX. It is, well, used to be green. One complainant had his car paid for by Honda. How did this owner get that done? Share your wisdom, because I certainly don't want to spend anywhere from $900-5000 to get this fixed.

- , Washington, DC, USA

Aug 042007

Accord LX 3.2L V6

I PURCHASED A 98 HONDA ACCORD IN JULY OF 98, BRAND NEW FROM THE DEALERSHIP, THE CAR HAS BEEN TAKEN CARE OF VERY WELL , ALWAYS GARAGED AND KEPT CLEAN AND WAXED, THE CAR IS DARK GREEN AND THE CLEAR COAT IS COMING OFF THE CAR, THE TRUNK , ROOF AND SIDE DOOR ARE SOME OF THE AREAS. I AM REALLY UPSET ABOUT THIS AS I HAVE LOOKED AT OTHER MAKES OF CARS IN THIS AGE GROUP AND THEIR PAINT IS NOT PEELING. I BOUGHT THIS CAR BECAUSE I WAS TOLD IT WAS A QUALITY VEHICLE AND I AM A SINGLE PARENT WITH A SON BOUND FOR COLLEGE NEXT SUMMER AND THERE IS NOW WAY I CAN AFFORD TO PAINT THIS CAR. HONDA NEEDS TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS AS I DON'T FEEL THIS IS A PROBLEM WE SHOULD BE HAVING. FROM LOOKING AT RESEARCH I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM THERE ARE MANY OTHERS AS WELL.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

May 012005

Accord LX 2.3L 4 Cl

I am so embarrassed by my car. The inside is perfect but the outside--ewww!

I have a few repairs that I need to do right now but I am just going get a new car because I can't put all this money into my car and have it still look like crap on the outside. I just can't justify paying $3k or more to paint my car when it has close to 200,000 miles on it. It is a great car and has been good to me but the outside is just so awful I can't drive it anymore. I thought that maybe I didn't wax my car enough until I realized this is such a common problem. I thought I was going to buy another Honda--I don't think so. Class action anyone??

- , Cardiff, CA, USA

Jul 092003

Accord LX Vtec V6

Honda Accord, bought from 1st owner, all records, great interior, great paint except around sunroof. Within a few months the paint RAPIDLY pealed away leaving the paint underneath. I just took it to be one car in the wonderful Honda line but soon saw other green 98s with pealing paint.

This IS a real problem and devalues the car incredibly. The hood, trunk and quarter panels are loosing their paint. It looks very bad to be such a reliable and hot car.

- , Bozeman, MT, USA

Jun 052003

Accord LX V4

I am just writing to "confirm" that Honda has a major problem with their metallic paint. I have noticed that every car that I see like mine (2 dr. V4 coupe LX)has the paint peeling away on the roof and the trunk. I find it ironic that this would be from 'sap' or 'bird droppings' as Honda has stated, in the same place on different cars! Wouldn't it be just as likely for the paint to disappear from the hood? But most of the models like mine have missing paint in the exact same spots!!I am getting ready to get an estimate to re-paint my car, as I keep my cars and I am scared to death after reading these posts!! I am happy with the car otherwise, but before this Honda, I had a Mazda RX7 that was 12 years old and the metallic red paint looked BRAND NEW and shiny!!!!! Strange that the sap didn't get it, huh???? Same parking conditions!

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 012000

Accord EX V4

I too am having the same clear coat peeling off my 1998 Honda Accord (Black). It was hardly worth mentioning as first, BUT now it is terrible and it's embarrassing. I purchased this car knowing that it would last a long time and didn't imagine that the paint would not hold up. Honda should stand up and be a reputable company and re-paint these vehicles. I cannot afford to have mine painted.

- , Lox, FL, USA