- June 19: Death of Jewel Brangman Caused by Takata Airbag
- June 12: Honda Civic Owner Kylan Langlinais Killed By Airbag
- June 8: Why Do Owners of Older Cars Ignore Recalls Half the Time?
- June 8: Lawsuit: Takata Airbag Killed Law Suk Leh and Unborn Daughter
- June 1: 2015 Honda CR-V Vibration Lawsuit Filed
1998 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
Worst 1998 Accord engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- engine stalls/shuts off while driving29
- check engine light is on13
- egr valve malfunction2
- engine oil leaking in coolant1
- engine pulsates at idle and doesn't stop1
- evap system leaking code p4571
- excessive oil consumption1
- piston failure1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control39
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline33
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling23
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine19
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal17
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Linkages6
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control4
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 1998 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.