- August 3: Honda Accord Air Bags Inflate When People Close the Doors
- July 9: Acura Recalls Cars With Fiery Halogen Headlights
- June 23: Honda Recalls 2 Million Cars With Defective Air Bags
- June 11: Over 1 Million Cars Might Have Explosive Takata Air Bag Inflators
- June 10: Honda Fit Recalled Over Busted Front Driveshafts
1998 Honda Accord
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
Worst 1998 Accord engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- dies while driving27
- check engine light is on8
- egr valve malfunction2
- engine oil leaking in coolant1
- engine pulsates at idle and doesn't stop1
- evap system leaking code p4571
- excessive oil consumption1
- piston failure1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control40
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling33
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline33
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine23
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal17
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Linkages6
- NHTSA: Engine4
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control4
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 1998 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.