- April 19: Woman Punctured in the Throat by Exploding Takata Airbag news | 5 days ago
- April 8: Honda Pilots Recalled to Replace Gas Tanks recalls | 16 days ago
- April 7: Honda Recalls 2003 Accord to Replace Takata Airbags recalls | 17 days ago
Heavy Thud When Shifting Gears
1998 Honda Accord (Page 2 of 3)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 116,618 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 42 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace transmission (19 reports)
- not sure (17 reports)
- rebuild transmission (6 reports)