CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

8.7

2. new transmission (1 reports)
1998 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Honda Accord:

1998 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Dec 132004

Accord EX V6

the transmission blew at 80,000 miles all the transmission leaked out along with 2 broken motor mounts this is not suppose to happen in a Honda accord! then a day after I get the car back it won't start I turn the key and nothing tried to jump it and nothing

had to have it towed turned out to be a loose ignition wire they swear it wasn't their fault

cost me $150.00. I had to take it back 4 more times because I couldn't get the key out of the ignition

- , Niskayuna, NY, USA

Sep 072007

Accord EX V6

I bought this car used. I noticed that problem a week after I bought it. I had to fuss with the car lot to have it fixed. Now, I have fluid leaking all over my driveway. I am very upset because Hondas are supposed to be excellent cars. I'm about to give up. What could be the problem with this fluid?

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Nov 202006

Accord EX 3.0L V6

A transmission leak?This car has been taken care of and has never been abused. I got under the vehicle after spotting oil in my garage and to my surprise almost the entire transmission case is covered with oil. I am heading to the dealer to see what the problem is.

- , Yuma, AZ, USA