Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.

Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

1999 Honda Accord electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Honda Accord:

1999 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Dec 122010

Accord LX

On occasion, in wet weather the car would not start. The engine would turn over but the starter and gas were out of sync. It would take a lot of patience and repetition to ignite the engine so to speak. Other times I resorted to squirting the system with WD 40. I took it to two repair shops more than once each at different times over the next couple years. Of course dry inside a shop they could not reproduce the problem. Eventually I had the plugs and wires replaced ($450). But after a year of no problems, three times in the past 10 days the problem reoccurred. #$%^&*()

- , Lexington, KY, USA

Jan 172007

I have paid over $500 since 12/24/06 to find out what is wrong with my 1999 Honda Accord. It doesn't start when it is rainy/wet/damp; I had a tune up, new points/plugs and a new cap/wires and removed the car starter and nothing has worked; It is like the ignition is locking my key as to say you are stealing the car. There is a flashing green light that shows a key.

- , Troy, NY, USA

Jan 232006

Accord LX

I have a 1999 Honda Accord LX coupe. I just got a remote car starter and all was okay UNTIL a rainy morning last week when the car would not turn over. I got a jump and it worked later that afternoon. A check was run on the computer with my battery, starter and alternator and they were fine. It has been fine until this morning, a 25 degree and snowy morning, when it took me 15 minutes to start it. Then it stalled and puttered, but I got it again.

I noticed that with the remote starter the temperature sits at the C until I start it regularly.

Is it the moisture? Is it the cold? Is it the remote starter? Is it in need of new wires? Please tell me why this is happening???

- , Auburn, NY, USA