CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.

Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

7.3

2. replaced ignition switch (electrical portion only) (3 reports)
  3. i had a problem with my car stalling (2 reports)
  4. replacing the main relay (2 reports)
  5. dealership installed (35130-s84-a01) steering switch (1 reports)
  6. replace ignition switch (1 reports)
1999 Honda Accord electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Honda Accord:

1999 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Mar 072014

Accord EX 4 cyl

My Honda started stalling when I was driving. Then, it was hard to start, it took sometimes 5 or 6 times of trying. Took it to the mechanic down the road, and he said it was the variable valve timing solenoid, so he replaced it. That night it started dying again. Called him, and he said to bring it back in. Two weeks later, he had replaced, the oil pump, oil pan gasket, main bearings, oil change and filter, Timing belt kit. Coming to parts- $757.28, labor- $801.99 Total with tax $1,705.84. and guess what? It's still dying! worse than ever. I'm afraid to drive it. Last night I went across the street to get gas, and it died when I turned into the gas station. So, it's not when it's cold, or when it's warmed up. I've had it. after all the money I spent, don't tell me it's an electrical problem, and is covered by recall? SH*T!!! Thank's for your time. Skamser1

- , Puyallup, WA, USA

Oct 012011

Accord EX 2.3L

this sucks! this was a recall for my year and make of car and honda and nhtsa say my vin# was not included! yet others were, so i am out the $$- thanks honda.

problem got progressively worse as time went on. nearly wiped out by tractor trailer cause car just shuts down at any time, any speed, and is sometimes not easy to restart.

- , Bay Shore, NY, USA

May 252011

Accord

In 2002 the ignition switch was replaced due to a recall, which should last pretty much the lifetime of the car. My car only has 89,000 miles on it, which for a Honda isn't much. I called the customer service line and was told this would not be covered under a recall due to it being done already once. I asked them "Even though the second one was faulty you still won't cover it." And was politely told by the man on the phone, "Sorry, but no". So as I drove down the road yesterday to get it to the garage, I almost got into two accidents due to the constant stalling and restarting itself. I find it hard to believe that on the website ahm-ownerlink they have the nerve to put "Honda is concerned with safety". I beg to differ! When/if I get killed while driving down the road when this faulty part goes yet again, my husband and daughter will be set for life with the lawsuit they will slap on Honda. I am disgusted thinking I have owned and driven Hondas for the last 15 years with pride. NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Corinth, ME, USA

Jul 162010

Accord 1.8L

I bought this accord in July2010. It give me tough time since then. The only reason i Bought this car that it was installed with LPG. I thought will fix the problem like i solved with my other Honda Civic I bought and sold before. The car would start stalling randomly. First i Thought problem with lpg and done the lpg serviced. problem still there. change mass air flow sensor. i check over google and come to know that this 1999 honda has been recalled. when contacted honda Europe the book an appointment with my local Honda. I went there and they give me another appointment on 01/09/2010. when i asked them what work has been done on this. they told me oxygen sensor has been changed. its now 2 days now I am facing still the same problem. i would say don't buy even 1999 Honda accord. its really make me think not to use any car.

- , Bradford, England, UK

Jul 232010

Accord DX 4 cyl

Have a 99 Accord. Electrical problem occurs randomly. Losses power to dash and ignition. Turning key restores but may need to be done three or four times. Previous owner had ignition switch replaced, still has problem. Tonight it quit four times going down the interstate. Had to hold key half way forward to keep power. After repeatedly turning key, the electrical power finally stayed on. Honda is like Toyota. These problems will not be fixed untill LIVES have been lost (or revenues).

Update from Aug 21, 2010: Replaced ignition switch (electrical portion only). Contacts in old switch were burned. It is not necessary to remove entire switch assembly if you break the lower portion of the plastic cover that is over the electrical part after removing the two screws that hold the switch and cover. Just fold the cover back and pull the wires down from behind it (after unplugging of course) and remove the switch. Be sure to line up the groove on the new switch with the assembly housing. It may also be necessary to rotate the center of the switch to match the orientation of the key cylinder. Replace screws, plug in and you're good to go. I also replaced the main relay since there had been a recall on it as well.

- , Dyersburg, TN, USA

May 012009

Accord 4 cyl

For several years car randomly refused to start every month?, 3 Months?, 6 months? As you can see it varied as did the time it took to restart. Might have been a minute, several minutes or an hour but would always start. No one had an answer. In desperation we replaced the main relay. It has been nearly a year with no further problem. Cost of the relay was $77 and it is an under-the-dash plug-in, although a pain-in-the-ass plug-in.

- , Medford, Oregon, USA

Aug 012007

Accord Coupe EX-L

starting about 2 years ago, my car failed to start at random times. like the other posts, the car turns over but won't start. sometimes it's in the heat, other times (most recently) it's seemingly at random. the first time i took it to the shop, the mechanic said something is in the pipes blocking it, he cleaned it out and i didn't have that same problem again for almost a year. it happened a couple other times after that but the problem didn't seem to persist until recently. Over the last week, the problem happened 3 times and this time, the same mechanic hasn't been able to figure out the cause because he couldn't replicate it.

I tried pumping on the gas while starting the engine and it seemed to work a few times. Sometimes the engine starts, sputtered and then dies again, other times, the engine threatens to stall when i'm at a stoplight or transitioning between the gas and break pedal. I found in those occurrences, if i were to rev the engine, the problem seems to correct itself. However, these remedies don't seem to work anymore.

I asked my mechanic to check the main relay and he seems doubtful but hopefully, like other owners who posted, replacing this will solve my issue. I didn't know about the ignition recall a few years ago so hopefully, Honda will still honor the fix.

- , Santa Clara, CA, USA

Jun 302009

Accord EX 4 cyl

I bought my Honda accord about 4 months ago and had the random stalling problem as well about a month ago the main relay in my car was replaced and i haven't had a problem since. The main relay controls the gas flow to the engine and it was randomly shutting off the flow causing it to stall. If you have had the stalling problem and haven't found a solution i suggest that you talk to someone about replacing the main relay in your car.

- , Northglenn, Colorado, USA

Jun 252009

Accord EX 2.7L

I bought a 1999 Honda Accord ex for my daughter from a used car dealer. The car stalled on the way home that night. I took it to the Honda dealership to have it checked out, they said it was fine. It has continued to stall randomly since. I have changed the spark plug cables, and the ignition contact switch, and the ignition switch. It still stalls.

I have been to the dealer twice, and they say that there is no problem they can find. If anyone has been able to fix this problem I would love to know what you did.

- , Northglenn, CO, USA

May 132009

Accord EX 2.3L 4 cyl

I have had this car since '03.Kept up on its maintenance,never had a problem.Until the tranny went out about three years ago.From that date on, Its been just having problems.From sensors to the catalytic converter.Now this with the stalling,all the electrical shuts off. I have read all the complaints,amazed how many people have the same problem with these cars.Going to try out the igntion switch,if that fixes the problem.NEXT DAY ITS 4SALE!!!!! No more Honda's for me!

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 152008

Accord LX 3.2L

I had the same problem that several others have had with stalling. This ended up being an ignition problem that was covered under a recall notice that I had failed to follow-up on.

- , Gray, Georgia, USA

Feb 052009

Accord LX 4-cyl Vtech

I'm having the same problem. I'll put the keys in the ignition, turn the key (but not start the car). The lights come on, flicker, go out, then come back on.

Also for some reason, occasionally when I'm driving, the car will jerk, slow down, and the RPM suddenly drops. I've never had the car stall out when I'm driving it, except for a time when I parked and it dropped out. Has ANYONE found a solution to this?

Update from Jun 6, 2009: As posted before, I was having the same problem as everyone else. Took it by a mechanic and I had the intake manifold checked and cleaned. While checking, I mentioned the lights flickering to the mechanic, and he tested the ignition. He knew immediately the switch had gone bad (misaligned, was the world he used). Went by the local Honda dealership, bought an OEM Honda Genuine ignition switch (electrical part only) for about $70.00. Took it back to the mechanic, they had it fixed in 30 minutes and for about $65.00. Haven't had any problems since.

I did NOT have the original ignition, it had been replaced in the 2002 recall. Be sure to call your car's dealer and find out if its had the ignition replaced. If not, you might be eligible for a new one.

- , Rome, GA, USA

Jan 012009

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Car stalls randomly. It will start then struggle to stay running. I will be driving down the highway and it all gauges will shutoff and car semi-stalls then continues running like everything is normal. Also there is a clicking noise that goes on while in park and gets much worse when I put it in drive. I don't know if these problems are related or not. My car has probably stalled at least 30 times. I'm pretty surprised that my car still runs normal with a problem such as this. Alternator, battery, and starter are all pretty new. Any ideas? I feel if I keep driving, I'm going to wreck my car unexpectedly.

Update from Jul 15, 2009: Its definitely the ignition switch like the other fella said. The added bonus here is that you may be able to get it fixed for free. There was a recall for 97-00 models for the ignition switch. So call your dealership and find out if it has already been replaced or not. If it has and its faulting again, then you have to pay for it because they will only replace recall parts one time.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Dec 132008

Accord LX 4 cyl

On Dec 1st 2008 morning, wife attempted to start the car. On first attempt acted like it wanted to start but didn't. On second attempt a minute later she said engine went er er..er and did not start. On the third attempt five minutes later turned key engine started normally, as if there never was a problem.

On Dec 11th 2008 afternoon, I drove car less than 5 miles, stopped at a light, then turned left, car engine stalled, coasted to safe area. Put the car in park and it started back up as normal. No more problems.

On Dec 12th 2008. I cleaned the battery post of a 2 1/2 year old battery.

On Dec 13th 2008 afternoon, I drove car approximately 15 miles, where it sat for over an hour. After seven miles on the return trip, traveling at 50 mph the car engine stalled in traffic. I managed to safely coast and make the next right turn. I turned the key and the engine engaged as if it hadn't stalled to begin with.

Currently we are skitish about using the Honda until we are able to correct the problem to our satisfaction. We are currently driving another vehicle. Putting the Honda on the road would be an accident waiting to happen. For drivers who tail gate, I sure hope you don't run up on a car that just stalls in front of you. There is no warning it just happens. No telling how many vehicles there are on the road with similar stalling problems.

I have been searching the internet for possible fixes. Now I am looking for input from drivers whose vehicle have a similar problem. Preferably from those who have had the problem corrected with no reoccurring.

Update from Jul 28, 2009: I got my car back from Coggin Honda on Atlantic in Jacksonville Fl on 18 Dec 2008. I have not had any problems since. I had the following work done at a total cost of 496.32, I should be receiving 136.00 back as a good faith gesture since the car is no longer under warranty. There is an oil change 24.00 included in the total price.

The dealership installed (35130-S84-A01) steering switch (harness cable assembly) parts 76.71 and labor 195.88. I also had (32410-S84-A00) starter cable assembly installed parts 46.06 and labor 95.25. The connector to the positive post (of the starter cable) was corroded and needed to be replaced.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 032007

Accord EX 2.3L, 4 cyl

I'm having the exact same problem as all of you. 2.3L, 4 Cyl, 200k miles. I've been having the problem for over 1.5 years and still cannot find anyone to fix it. But as I've been assessing this problem, I think I have it whittled down to a few key culprits:

1. Alternator (obviously it's having problems routing electricity ) 2. Fuel Filter (when i restart it, if i rev the engine, it seems to run fine) 3. Computer chip (if this isn't working, there's only one sign - nothing else fixes the problem)

** Anyone who says you need a TuneUp, ask them if they tested the all the spark plugs, and wiring first. It seems the tuneup is not a fix for this problem, but it's the mechanics first assumption.

As with the other parts, I recommend buying used from salvage yards to keep the price down. THEN, take the part and go to your favorite garage to have them install it. I will be working on this in the coming months. Please let me know if anyone has tried these things and the results. I will do the same and post any progress i have.

- , Columbia, MO, USA

Sep 102008

Accord LX 2.3L

I also have the same problem as reported. The car will stall while running. It just happens randomly. The AC/CDplayer or other accessories keep working, just seems like someone has pulled a plug and the engine stops. Park the car and crank it again and it is just fine and starts running. Don't really know the solution to this one. I will have it checked next month. Any suggestions?

- , Jamestown, NC, USA

Sep 022008

Accord EX 2.3L

First time the car gave me a sign that something was wrong was 3 weeks ago. After parked in a mall parking lot for about an hour, started car and headed to exit. A/C was on full blast but radio was not on. At a traffic light about 3 minutes later, car completely dies. I put car in park and restarted car with no problems. Proceeded to drive home with no problems. 3 weeks later, was driving on the interstate after bout 5 miles of driving and car lost all power for about a half second, dash lights flashed as if I were starting the car, and car came back on without any intervention from me and proceeded to drive normally. About a minute later, the same thing happened. I made it home without any problems. I have driven it once after this happened for about 3 miles and all was well.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

May 272008

Accord 4

This happened once in January. Then when it happened twice (w/in a minute of each other) in March, I had the car serviced. My mechanic thought the problem might be that it needed a tuneup. It was OK until last week when it happened 4 - 5 times. It seems to totally power off (RPM's go to zero) then comes back on again w/in seconds--no rhyme or reason. I'm afraid that it's a very dangerous problem that I would have fixed if I knew what it was.

- , Katonah, NY, USA

Jun 032007

Accord EX 3.0L V6 VTEC

spent ridiculous amount of money on this problem almost got rear ended several times after it conveniently shuts off. no established pattern tried replacing ignition coil/distributer and ignition switch. Hooked up a spark tester and had good spark each time engine turned over. dealer and 4 private mechanics cant figure it out....... any help?

- , Bothell, WA, USA