CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.

Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

9.0

2. new ignition switch (4 reports)
  3. a new ignition key and/or switch (1 reports)
1999 Honda Accord electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Honda Accord:

1999 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Jan 162013

Accord EX 2.3L

Was a pain on ass while driving. would die for no reason but if you grabbed the key switch and twisted the key like starting motor real fast when done it and held key on starting position it would run and you could drive but you could only drive with one hand because other hand had stay on key . I did replace myself. it was scary to drive, very unsafe.

- , Elkhorn City, KY, USA

Apr 162013

Accord LX 4

Should be covered as a recall. I would of liked to been able to disconnect this feature, and go back to a standard key. Really who wants to steal a 1999 Accord ? $350 for a security feature that requires a $70 key, brilliant. Just make it run.

replaced 1 35130-s84-a01 switch

- , Peoria, IL, USA

Aug 052009

Accord LX 2.8L

i think this is a recall i didn't know about, now i think it led to all four cylinders misfiring because i can always start it in transit, it stalled a couple times then it wouldn't start after i toke the positive terminal off then on started it started misfiring.

- , Perry, ME, USA

Jun 222008

Accord EX 2.3L

I have a 1999 Honda Accord ex 2.3L, with 154k miles. there was a recall on the ignition switch and the car would just shut off while I was driving it. I took it to the dealer and they put a new ignition switch in it. The car ran well for about 6 months and then began shutting off while I was driving...frequently. Fast-forward, recently my check engine light came on and I would drive my car, reach my destination, shut the car off, and then within an hour or so want to start the car and drive somewhere else the car began having difficulty starting and wouldn't restart until the 4th or 5th try. Even more recently, the car began shutting off if the gas level in the tank gets below an 1/8th of a tank. Because the "check engine light" was on, I had an engine test and it came back code number P1457 meaning: 1) the gas cap may need to be replaced 2) a faulty vent solenoid or 3) a faulty purge solenoid.

A Honda Mechanic told me its 1) an ignition switch issue

2) combined with the 1457 bulletin.There's a recall on the switch.Copy and paste this link. 3) There's a bulletin on this issue. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1297 Also it could be a fairly main relay which controls the fuel pump or a faulty ignition control module in the distributor that controls spark . If the green key light blinks when it does not start it's an immobilizer issue either key or transponder. These need to be checked next. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x02-031e.pdf

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 012010

Accord V6

In early March, was driving home when engine stalled. Tried restarting--took 4-6 attempts to restart. Each time the engine would start, then stall. Finally I waited about 2 minutes then retried & engine ran fine. Took to the dealer but they couldn't get it to fail. Has happened probably 15 more times--once at 65 mph. When that happened, all dash lights came on, then the engine restarted & was able to continue. Dealer ran Battery, Starter, and Charging System checks & all were OK. Still haven't found problem. By the way, all recalls have been installed.

- , Bloomington, IL, USA

Apr 102008

Accord LX 4 cyl

Car started cutting off in the middle of driving. Once died while driving >65mph on the freeway, very scary!!! Sometimes it would be difficult to start, especially in hot weather. It turned out to be the ignition switch. Fixed free of charge as recall item. No problems since then.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

May 012009

Accord LX

For the past 2-3 months, this problem has increased. The car stalls out while going down the interstate at 70 mph, not a great feeling when you have a HUGE semi-truck about to rear end you. It has stalled out, at a red light, going around a corner, middle of pulling out into traffic. I thought MAYBE it was the battery because after awhile, the battery wasnt holding a charge. After getting a new battery it seemed ok for a week then problems started again. Its getting to the point, I'm afraid to drive it but Honda dealership has no idea whats wrong with it. After looking around on here, i see im not alone on this issue. I also noticed after pulling key out its hot to touch. I get the jolt when it shuts off, no warning of any kind and the steering wheel locks up, everything shuts down, ac, radio etc.

- , Hope, AR, USA

Jun 262009

Accord EX 4 cyl

when i am driving does not matter what speed, first all the lights come on like it is going to shut down, then usually in about 5 min it completely dies and will not start for 15-20 min. i have found no one that is able to fix it, because they say unless it does it infront of them they do not know. i want to know why these machanic can let me drive around with this horrible problem and not be able to find out what is wrong

- , Indio, CA, USA

Apr 012009

Accord EX V Tec

My honda stalls randomly, while driving on the freeway at 65MPH, or at a stop sometimes it will not start. I have changed the ignition switch and have had a diagnostic done, the diagnostic says that car needs a new catalytic converter. My step dad, who is a mechanic, says that the stalling is totally unrelated to the catalytic converter. I took the car to a Honda mechanic He suggested a new key, got the new key - car did not stall for over 2 months. I thought my problems were solved (I was relieved). yesterday the car stalled on me 3 times: once at a stop, while I was driving down the road at 45MPH, and after I stopped to put gas in. I tried to restart and it wouldn't start ( the RPM's drop to zero and the car stalls all the lights on the panel turns on says the doors are open, trunk open, check engine light turns on the green key light blinks, battery, oil light and brake light turn on) but the radio stays on and the air conditioner stays on. Each time this happens it takes about 5 minuets before the car will start back up. The car has a new battery and the alternator is about 2 years old. Each time the car stalls I have to push it out of the way of traffic to the side of the road or if on the freeway, put the car in neutral and coast to the side of the Freeway. My 9 year old son is terrified to go anywhere in this car and my husband and I are frustrated. I fear for my safety and especially the safety of my son. Does any one have any idea what could be the reason for the stalling??? Called Honda headquarters they don't know what the problem is and say that my car does not have any recalls on it. They told me to try the ignition switch at my own cost which I did and car still stalls. Can anyone give me any other suggestions.

- , Sun City, CA, USA

Apr 012005

Accord 2.3L

I have had many of the same issues that are listed on the CarComplaints.com website regarding stalling of my 1999 Honda Accord. For 4 to 5 years, my Accord has stalled for no apparent reason or would not start up right away after sitting a few minutes when the engine was warm. I had taken my Honda to several places for checkups, I have replaced the battery and a sensor several times before a diagnostic check indicated that I likely had an ignition switch problem. That repair company referred me to my Honda Dealership where I purchased the vehicle new and the dealer could not duplicate the problem.

Yesterday my wife had the car on the city of Memphis's busiest street when it stalled with her in the center lane without any warning by the indicator lights. She called me frantic, telling me that almost every car passing her nearly hit her. I called the police to help get traffic control to help her. She as a few others have indicated could not get the car to shift gears to neutral while stalled. Finally after sitting 10 minutes she was able to start the car. If this would have happened and my wife was rear ended with my 19 month old daughter in the car, I would have likely gone nuts on Honda. Instead this morning I took the car into the dealer who kept the car running for a while when they were able to get the car to stall (or so they say). The dealer switched out the ignition switch at a cost of $300 on top of the $75 diagnostic at the dealer one month ago and a $49 diagnostic at a small service station not to mention the sensors that were switched out that did not solve the problem.

I have already filed a complaint with Honda indicating that this problem is a life safety issue which they should replace free of charge. If this happens again I will likely see a lawyer; I just pray that my family is not injured or worse. This morning the dealer indicated that the problem could also be the main relay but since they were supposedly able to duplicate the problem they replaced only the ignition switch.

Please let me know if anyone else is involved in litigation to get this problem resolved and also receive reimbursement for any work related to the problem. Thanks.

Scott - Memphis, TN

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Aug 082008

Accord EX

Car first began stalling randomly, once every three weeks or so. Took car to local mechanic and was told that car needed a tune-up. New spark plugs distributor cap and about $250 later got the car back and the same problems. Next the check engine light came on. Took the car to Napa and found out the post catalytic converter O2 sensor was bad. Replaced that myself for $101 and cleared the check engine light. Thought i cured the problem and 2 weeks later I'm driving in rush hour traffic down busy freeway and the car stalls again. Luckily, there is an onramp area I can pull over to. Took about 5 minutes of trying to start the car before it finally starts. Frustrated, I go home and Google 1999 Honda accord engine stalls and find out that Honda had a recall in 2002 with the ignition switch. Turns out it can get too much current and short out. Well, after entering my vin number into Honda's website I find out the recalled problem was fixed already. I drove to a Honda dealership and purchased a new ignition switch and replaced it myself in an hour for $52 plus tax. This was about 4 weeks ago and no problems yet.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 272005

Accord LX 4 cyl

After stalling several times on the road,

we checked the internet and found there was an NHTSA

recall for this.

Problem: The electrically coded key becomes worn,

losing contact with the ignition switch.

Solution: A new key and/or switch free from Honda.

- , Ventura, CA, USA