CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.

Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

9.3

2. dealership replaced ignition switch (2 reports)
  3. it was the bad ignition switch which needs replacement (2 reports)
  4. replace the main relay (1 reports)
1999 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Honda Accord:

1999 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 302011

Accord EX V6

This shutting down of my car without warning has been going on for over a year. It stops dead with no power steering or anything so I can only drift a small distance. I have had it to the Honda dealership two times(one time for six weeks) they said it never shut off...had it to my local mechanic twice(they kept it for a week) and didn't get it to stop....The ignition switch was recalled and I had it replaced twice. It didn't happen after the second recall for eight months but that might have been due to the weather?? It was winter. I contacted the Honda maine branch...got nothing. Filled out a report with the state of Pa (got nothing) It's my only car,it's a dangerous situation and I think Honda knows they have a problem because I've read about this same thing over and over again but no help. I have invested in Honda's for 35 yrs and have loved them but I feel like marching on Corporate( and I'm not the marching type) Mechanics have mentioned relays, fuel injectors, ignition switches but I can't afford to try all these things on a whim. they hook my car up to computers,,,,,nothing, What good are those computers if they detect the problem? I'm at my wits end...help!!!! The only thing I have noticed is that I think it shuts down after a gear change (maybe second,,,it's an automatic) But there is never ANY warning which is the scary thing!!!!Thanks

- , Bethel Park, PA, USA

Mar 202013

Accord EX V6

I called Honda to see if my VIN was covered under the recall to get a new switch. They said there is no recalls under this VIN. BULLSHIT!!!! Anyway I changed the switch myself and the problem persists.

I read another solution on another site:

I had this same issue. The PCM and fuel pressure regulator is the correct fix. It is not cheap, but it does address the problem.

If i recall, the issue has to do with ethanol having a lower boiling point than traditional gas. This causes it to vaporize on the fuel rail when the car's warm, but no long pumping gas because it's off. When you go to re-start the car, instead of liquid gas, you are spurting on fumes on the rail. Once the car cools sufficiently, the vapor re-condenses to liquid so you can start again.

The new PCM and fuel pressure regulator (i think that's what it is) creates a higher pressure inside the fuel system and the higher pressure increases the boiling point of the fuel, eliminating the problem.

I have issues with taking a gamble on this fix, There should be a TSB on the issue. Please let me know where I can find it

- , Vancouver, BC, canada

Jan 122012

Accord EX 2.3L 4 CYL

After paying the $90 plus diagnostic fee, the dealership told me that they could not find the problem. The customer service rep suggested that I talk to sales about purchasing a new car.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 302011

Accord LX 2.4L

I have 1999 Honda Accord, i bought it used in March'11 one day i was heading to office during the day and car engine stopped and within a moment it kicked back in. didn't do anything. As days passed this problem became more and more frequent. on highways, stop lights. parking every where. cold or hot doesn't matter. I checked online and found that this may be due to bad ignition switch and its under recall. I called customer service and they said recall is complete and now i have to pay 275$ to get it done once again. Now the only way to keep the car running is to leave the key slowly once the engine starts. But sometimes this also fails and i am left only to try it again and again. This is very dangerous situation and honda customer service should do something about it. i think the problem is not only the ignition switch but also the main relay which should also be replaced under this recall. I gave another shot and twitted Honda Customer service about the problem and they asked me to go to Honda Dealer to confirm about the cause of problem. I am hopeful to have it done without any cost to me but not sure. i am scheduled to visit Honda Dealership for diagnosis in few days. will update if they come up with proper solution for this problem.

Update from Sep 27, 2012: Finally it was a bad ingition switch, that means the earlier recall/replacement done for this was not good. But I am happy as the dealership at Capital Honda at OKEMOS,MI .. did it with no cost to me.

- , Okemos, Michigan, USA

Sep 062011

Accord LX 3.0L 6-cyl

Car dies while driving a varying speeds and conditions. At first car would restart right away, but now seems to take 20-30 minutes and sometimes won't restart without a jump.

- , Silverdale, WA, USA

Mar 012011

Accord LX

Bought the car with 135,000 mi in March 10. Ran great. One year later, it started dying while I was traveling 40 mph, sometimes after a few miles of driving, sometimes it dies before I leave the parking lot.

It's REALLY DANGEROUS. Brought it to mechanic 2-3 times but it always works fine for them. They've done different things - costing me about $1,000 - but have no idea what's causing it.

I find that when I take my foot off the gas, the car feels heavy and pulls back, isn't smooth until I hit the gas again. It used to just happen once a week, the past few days it's happened 3-4 times.

Found out about the recall but Honda told me my VIN was already brought in and the recall problem corrected.

I see from other sites (Civic Honda) that this is a recurring problem for many Honda drivers.

Class action suit anyone?

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 122010

Accord EX 3.2L

I too, have had problems with my 1999 Honda Accord stopping while driving. It first occurred in July of 2010. I put up with it most of the summer, as it seemed to only happen when it was very hot and/or humid, and would also happen only when I had stopped or slowed down, and then "gave it gas" again. Until one day in September, it happened on the highway when I changed lanes going about 65 mph. Thank goodness, there was no one behind me, and I was able to cruise to the breakdown lane (with no power steering) to restart it. I drove directly to my mechanic. He could find nothing specific wrong with it, but he replaced the fuel injector, and sparkplugs, etc.

The car ran beautifully after that, until about a month ago, when it began happening again! Again, it is during hot/humid weather. It has happened four times since then. I brought it to my mechanic again, but he can't even get the problem to dupicate for him. I just realized that I had received a recall notice about the ignition switch interlock, but had not had it fixed due to pressing family matters at the time, and then forgot about it. I just called Honda now to find out if I could still have this repaired. They said yes, but that it would have NOTHING to to with the problem of my car shutting off. Where to turn now????

- , Braintree, MA, USA

Feb 052010

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Ok, so i drive a 99 3.0L V6 Honda Accord and it just randomly dies on me. After this happened, i couldn't restart the car for about 15 minutes. I replaced the Main Relay and it stopped for a while. Now its doing it again, except now, it will start right back up when i turn the key, worst case scenario, it takes me about 3 tries, but regardless, it still dies. Ive tried putting higher octane fuel in it, didn't help. I checked the distributor contacts and everything seems to be fine. The battery and alternator are still fairly new. It especially likes to do this to me when the weather changes from cold to warm/hot. It also does it if my A/C is on at max, or when the defroster is on at max. This is really frustrating, especially when on the freeway or in stop and go traffic. Ive checked the battery with a voltage meter and its perfectly in spec. I also hooked up a $6000 scanner from my school, assuming that with it being as expensive as it is, if there was a problem, it should be able to find it... NOTHING! It couldn't find a single damn thing wrong with the car, according to the scanner. Everything is within spec too, (timing advance, short term fuel trim, long term fuel trim, etc. ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

- , Livermore, CA, USA

Sep 162010

Accord SE 2.0L

3 times in 2 days this happend. to day was the worst . rite in rush hour traffic i was blocking the road with hazzards on im getting dicks from behind beeping , wot the hell r u blind. this problem makes me wont to get a new car cant trust it at all tramming it to work from now on.

- , Nottingham, UK, UK

Aug 292010

Accord LX

I recently traded in my 96' Mitsubishi Eclipse for a 1999, 2 door Honda Accord because it was my understanding and opinion that Honda was a reliable car that held its value. I realize that a vehicle that is over 10 years old was bound to have problems, but nothing like this. Not but a day after the trade and purchase of this car, it died as I exited off the interstate. Eventually I was able to get it started but it took a few tries, and seems to take me a little longer each this problem occurs. After searching the internet, I realize that this seems to be a common problem. When i initially start the vehicle the "maintenance vehicle" light blinks and then turns off. There might be some other issues that need to be fixed but I have yet to take it to get looked at. Was hoping to get a few ideas what this random stalling

- , Billings, MT, USA

Aug 102010

Accord EX 2.4L

Hello, my name is Tiffany and I stay in chicago. Since I stay in Illinois the summer weather is very hot, and the rest of the year is somewhat ok, but we really do experience every season of the year. My honda only stalls and won't start in the summer, when it is the hottest. During the fall,winter, and spring it's a great car. I took my car to multiple dealerships, and they could not find out what was wrong with it. Because sometimes it won't start...but if you let it sit for a while and come back later it will start up. And when my car stalled at the stop sign, it absolutly took the cake.

I'm the girly girl type, but I made it my business to find out what was wrong with my car. So I started doing research. I looked at different websites that discussed the I was having my honda. After 24 hours of extensive research I figured out that my car needs a MAIN RELAY SWITCH. If you have a honda or acura your main relay switch is supposed to be replaced every 8 years. So, I my dad to go to the honda dealership to buy the main relay switch which cost $73.00, and my dad put it on the next morning. The main relay switch is located behind the dash board for 98-01 honda accord. After installing it my car has been running just fine. It does NOT stall and it cranks up every time. Since I'm a college student, I plan on driving this car until the wheels fall off LOL.. I really do hope this information is helpful to you...

- , Aurora, IL, USA

Jul 132010

Accord LX 2.3L

going about 70 mph on H-1 freeway and engine stops running. radio, lights fine but rpm and speed went to zero. put car in neutral, then about a second later everything is back to normal, put car in gear, step on gas, and no problem.afraid to drive car. heard of ignition problem, and will definitely look into it.

- , Kapolei, Hawaii, USA

Jun 082010

Accord EX 3.0L V6

this problem occurred randomly. car would shut off when i was @ a stop sign , when i pressed on the gas pedal. on the freeway the dash board went black, the door locks were going up and down as if i turned off my car. it had turned off for a few seconds on the freeway and somehow came back to life. very dangerous.

i called honda of america & they told me the ignition switch recall was done on my car. i asked if she could tell me if they replaced anything or if she could tell me what they did & she said she didn't have that info. she told me they don't replace the same recall part twice & that i had to take it in & would have to pay for the honda dealership to look at. i just opted to take it to a place where they specialize in steering columns/ignition switches in l.a. on mission dr. i paid $120 & haven't experienced my car shut off on me. i have replaced the starter, main relay, tranny, among other parts.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 092010

Accord 4 cyl

Honda Accord - 1999 - Manual Trans. Stops running while I am driving!! This is not only dangerous but I have NO idea why it is happening!! Can anyone please give me a suggestion?

- , Vernon, BC, Canada

Sep 142009

Accord LX 4 cyl

I bought my Accord certified pre-owned in 2002 and have had the related recall replacement performed. In July 2009 I finally decided to have my transmission rebuilt, since I was moving out of state and didn't want it to finally give out in the middle of nowhere (I had been driving on a faulty transmission for at least a few years).

Soon after the transmission rebuild, my car started stalling at random times, usually when I was taking off from a complete stop while running the A/C. This was more of an annoyance than anything else, but had the potential to be deadly.

I tried shutting off my A/C for a while when taking off at intersections, and that seemed to help. The stalling stopped. But most recently, in the past week, my engine and electrical system shut off twice with the A/C off. The second time was when I was pulling onto a busy street. Fortunately the approaching car noticed me and had an extra lane in which to pull around me, but who knows if I'll be as lucky next time?

I always heard that Honda made the best, most reliable cars out there, but maybe they took 1999 off. I'm thinking about trying a tuneup, but the reports here don't indicate a lot of success with that. Still, I've never had a tuneup done on it, so it's probably overdue anyway. Here's hoping an actual solution emerges for this problem.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 162009

Accord EX V$

This time the engine disengaged while I was in the middle of a long bridge over Ft. Loudon Lake while on my way to work. I was cruising, so I shifted into neutral and restarted the engine.

While at work, the NHTSA investigator called to see if I had been contacted by American Honda as they had promised. He sounded upset that they had not called, although he admitted that they had called him saying they had made a mistake about the recall on my ignition. They said my model vehicle had never been recalled. I told the investigator that I probably still had the recall letter and that I would look for it. I was unable to find the recall letter, but I was able to find the invoice from the dealer where they installed an ignition repair kit under the recall back in 2004. I sent a copy to the investigator the following day, but did not hear from him because he said he was going on vacation for a week and a half. He said before he left he was going to ask American Honda to call me to explain why they weren't taking any action. They called me on 7/17 and said their legal department had reviewed my case and that the answer was the same (i.e. that identification and repair of my problem was my responsibility, not theirs). I notified the investigator and encouraged him to do something on the grounds that either the safety recall was not effective or that the ignition was not the issue. Either way there is still a potential hazardous condition that Honda refuses to admit and their dealers do not know how to correct. Again, I would encourage everyone with this problem to file a formal NHTSA complaint via this website or on the NHTSA website. It's easy to do, and they won't likely act until they have enough complaints to warrant attention or until you ask your congressman to have them investigate.

Jun 012009

Accord EX 4 cyl Vtec

Just hoping to help someone out, not really ranting or griping.

- , Ernul, NC, USA

Jul 152009

Accord EX V$

The car in front of me on the freeway slowed to 60 mph, so I started to pass. When I pressed the accelerator, the engine disengaged with a jolt and the key light came on. Needless to say, instead of speeding up I started slowing down. Fortunately this occurred before I entered the fast lane in front of oncoming cars. Since I didn't have the opportunity to change lanes, I was able to shift into neutral and restart the car while coasting. As is becoming the norm, the engine did not die this time but merely disengaged. Still no call from American Honda as they promised NHTSA.

Jul 142009

Accord EX V$

This time the engine disengaged at 65 mph on the freeway and the "key light" came on. I did the usual, shifting into neutral and restarting the car while coasting. Still no call from American Honda as promised to NHTSA.

Jul 092009

Accord EX V$

Let me preface this complaint with an update. I received a call yesterday from an investigator at NHTSA regarding my formal complaint. Apparently the letter to my congressman had its intended effect. The investigator had done some research, including reading complaints on this website, and had telephoned American Honda's legal department about my problem. They speculated that my problem was related to the existing recall on defective ignition switches and endeavored to determine if my ignition switch had ever been replaced. They said their research indicated that my ignition had not been replaced under recall as I had remembered, so they promised the NHTSA investigator that they would call me to make arrangements for recall-replacement of my ignition switch. I still believed that my ignition had already been replaced, and I also knew from reading complaints on carcomplaints.com that replacement of the ignition switch generally does not solve this problem, but I was thankful that some progress was being made in having the complaint investigated. However, things have not gone in a positive direction. Please see my previous entries for background, and see my subsequent entries for updates regarding American Honda's continued stonewalling on this issue.

One other update: A nice fellow named Chad who was having "our problem" sent me an email that he had replaced his gas cap with a $5 part from Wal-Mart and that his engine had stopped dying. Apparently there are vacuum-lock issues with the Honda gas cap, one of which causes the CHK ENG light to come on and is described in your owners manual. Upon receiving Chad's email, I immediately replaced my gas cap, but the car started dying again two days later as described below:

I was travelling 65 mph on the freeway when the engine disengaged with a jolt and the system immobilizer light came on (I describe this light in previous entries and shall henceforth refer to it as the "key light", which is more descriptive). The engine was still running but at 0 RPMS. I shifted into neutral and back to drive, which had no effect on the problem. I shifted into neutral again and turned the key. The starter began to grind because the engine was still running, but the engine re-engaged and I continued on my merry way. This was the first time the engine seemed to gear-down with a jolt when the condition occurred. On previous occasions when I lost power, it was as if I just started coasting and there was no jolt. I fear the symptoms associated with this problem are getting worse. My brother's Honda's Odyssey van was having this same problem, and his engine just burned up. He had no choice but to buy a new car (NOT a Honda).