Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.

Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

1999 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Honda Accord:

1999 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Jun 152005

Accord ES V4

I had an accident where I ran head first into a large pole that holds up traffic lights. It hit dead center at 35-40 miles per hour. The air bag did NOT deploy and the seat belt did not stop my head from hitting the windshield. I reported the problem to Honda North America and they sent out an "Unbiased" third party to determine what happened. Two weeks later I received a letter with a trifold brochure showing a car hitting a pole. They claimed that the reason why the bag did not deploy was because the 1999 Honda had 2 sensors one in the bumper and the other in the dash. When I hit the pole one sensor in the bumper registered an accident but the one in the dash registered a stop and they confused each other. I had never heard such a ridiculous explanation. Since, I have been told that it should not have gone off because it was a hit square in the middle of the car.

However over the last 9 years I have met several people who had the same car and similar issues. I have enquired with Honda but as you see there are a lot of hurdles to get them to do a recall. Mine was a serious accident and it took me 3 years to recover with my head injury and to this day have several issues that require surgery. Anyone else have an issue with 1999 Honda Accord?

- , Bethesda, MD, USA