CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.

Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

8.0

$2,428.00

2. replace it (11 reports)
  3. estimate to rebuild transmission (6 reports)
  4. transmission had to be rebuilt (6 reports)
  5. keep up on your transmission fluid (2 reports)
  6. issue is on clutch burn due to bad maintenance. replacement (1 reports)
1999 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Honda Accord:

1999 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 152014

Accord LX 4 cyl

American Honda has done tremendous damage to its brand by avoiding taking responsibility for this obvious design fault. Toyota has had its problems, too. Consumers Reports didn't show the transmission to be a problem a few years ago,either.

I will definitely consider other cars when I get my next car. My daughter and her husband own 3 Hondas and I have already told them to watch out because I don't have the confidence I once had in Honda. Whichever PR firm told American Honda to walk away from their 1998-2002 automatic transmission problems knows nothing about customer satisfaction. There are hungrier Asian car companies which want business and will improve their cars to get it.

American management has found a way to ruin Honda. They did the same in the '70's with all the American makes. The guys in the suits are not earning their money and they are not honorable people.

- , Lancaster, PA, USA

Jun 212013

Accord LX 4 cyl

My problem began with the transmission slipping when it would get hot. Then it started slamming into gear and downshifting extremely hard. Finally it wouldn't even shift out of low gear until it warmed up. I work in the car business so I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to vehicles and how they are supposed to perform. I contacted a local Honda dealer after doing extensive online research about this problem and learning that the 98-2004 Honda Accords all have the same transmission as well as learning that Honda recalled the 2000-2004 Accords for transmission problems. ( I wasn't happy that they did not include the 98-99 models and know they are fully aware that they have the same problems. It's the SAME transmission!! ) Honda refused to offer any type of assistance but offered to check it out for me for the lovely sum of $125 to start with the estimate going as high as $525 if they had to tear down the transmission. I asked if Honda would offer any type of owner assistance with this problem and the guy I spoke with basically patted me on the head and said there there little lady, your car is way out of warranty. Of course while he's talking down to me I'm thinking "I get that you idiot but I'm the warranty administrator for a GM dealership and I know ALL about manufacturers offering customer assistance or "policy"/"owner goodwill" repairs to owners for known product issues. I finally thanked him for his time, should have thanked him for wasting mine, and decided to contact Honda Customer assistance directly.

Bottom line, Honda knows they have problems with this transmission and aren't willing to do anything about it! I told the customer assistance agent I wasn't asking for them to pay for the entire repair, I would be happy with some assistance. I was told they were not willing to participate. So, I bit the bullet and purchased a rebuilt transmission with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty and had it installed at the Cadillac dealer where I work. It cost me a total of $1516.30 with my employee discount. From all of the research I've done and the different forums I've visited, I know I got out cheap! I'm not ready to purchase a new car, I've loved NOT having a car payment all these years but, if this car will get me through one more year I'll be happy. And then I'll purchase another vehicle that will NOT be a Honda!

I understand that warranties are placed on vehicles for a reason. However, when the issue is a KNOWN product problem, and one that was recalled for that matter, it is just pathetic that a manufacturer refuses to step up to the plate and try to offer some assistance to their customer. They seem to forget that our money spends anywhere and if they do not take care of their customers, someone else WILL!

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 192010

Accord LX 2.3L

This is a common problem with these Accords and Honda JUST DOES NOT CARE!!!

I want to find an aftermarket Tranny to replace the existing. Why rebuild something they don't know how to fix? Love he car....THIS PISSES ME OFF that they take no responsibility in any of these cases!!

- , Mayville, WI, USA

Feb 272013

Accord LX 4 cyl

ITS ASHAMED THAT A CAR LOT WOULD ACTUALLY LET A PERSON BUY A VEHICLE KNOWING THAT IT HAS TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS.. IM LIKE MANY OF YOU HERE,I ALWAYS THOUGHT HONDAS WERE GREAT CARS UP UNTIL I BOUGHT MY 99 HONDA ACCORD... I HAVE IT LESS THAN A MONTH AND THE TRANSMISSION BEGINS TO SLIP...NOW I AM STUCK MAKING PAYMENTS FOR A CAR THAT NEEDS A 2000 DOLLAR REPAIR WHICH I DO NOT HAVE, NOR WILL I HAVE ANYTIME SOON.... I AM ON SS DISABILITY AND LIVE ON A FIXED INCOME AND HAVE A CHILD TO CARE FOR AS WELL AS MANY BILLS........I OWNED A 1982 HONDA ACCORD AND IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST CARS I HAVE EVER HAD...OH WELL,WHAT CAN U DO? GUESS I WILLDRIVE IT TIL IT WONT GO ANYMORE LOL.......................

- , Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Sep 032012

Accord LX 2.3L 4 cyl Vtec

Well, this car ran beautifully until NOW. It's finally got the same BAD problem--transmission failure. Honda could have had a loyal customer. Not only do they lose me as a customer--but I'll share my experience with everyone I know. I could have had many things fixed for the price of a new transmission, $2,400 rebuilt; $4,600 Honda new. So there, HONDA, take you're loyalty rating and stick it! I'm buying a Toyota next time.

- , Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Feb 242012

Accord ES 2.3L 4cil

I CALLED A AUTO DEALER IN MIAMI, THE NAME OF THE DEAL IS NEW FUTURE AUTO SALES LOCATED 995 E 25 ST HIALEAH , FL 33013 (305) 835 8855. I ASKED HIM TO SELL ME A PROPER OPERATIONAL CAR AND HE TOLD ME THAT THIS HONDA WAS IN EXCLLENT CONDITION. AFTER JUST 3 DAYS OF ME DRIVING THE VEHICLE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND THE CAR STARTED TO NOT TAKE ANY GEAR JUST THE RPM JUST STARTED TO REAR UP, BUT THE CAR WOULD NOT MOVE. I CALLED THE DEALER (NEW FUTURE AUTO SALES) AND HE TOLD ME IT NOT HIS PROBLEM THE CAR SOLD AS IS AND HE IS NOT DOING ANYTHING. I THINK THIS IS VERY POOR AND DIS HONEST OF THEM, I BELIEVE THEY KNEW THEY HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE CAR. IT COULD'NT OF JUST STARTED 3 DAYS AFTER I PURCHASED THE CAR. IN THOSE THREE DAYS I DROVE THE CAR 3 TIMES ON SHORT DRIVE. THIS IS DUE TO ME HAVING ANOTHER VEHICLE. I AM SO HURT AND DISAPPOINTED...

- , Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Oct 262011

Accord

OK, my dad bought the car in 2001 and he gave it to me last summer, i don't drive recklessly, nor have i done anything to mess the transmission up. i couldn't afford a new transmission back in October, but now i'm FORCED to fix it in order to get to school and work. this car can go for many more years and i don't understand why my transmission is bad, or is failing on me. i'm SCARED to death to drive it and i have no other means of transportation. i'm basically alone with this car. no one to help pay for it. i thought it was me who messed it up, but I've done NOTHING to mess it up. i Google my car and found this site and now i know it wasn't me.

- , An, Tennessee, USA

Oct 132009

Accord EX 3.2L V6

This Honda Accord transmission has been giving problems for about four years now . The transmission has been worked on several times . It cost $1400.00 the last time and only lasted just over a year . What's up with these transmissions ? I looked on the internet and see nothing but problems with these transmissions even when rebuilt . I will be spreading the word to stay away from Honda cars period . This should be covered by Honda . Thay have sold a bad transmission . No more Honda's . Thank you

- , Conway, SC, USA

Sep 302011

Accord EX 3,0 V6

My 17 year old daughter just bought a 99 Accord. After 24 hours the transmissions began to slip going into 2nd gear and when you apply anything more than light throttle in 2nd gear it causes the car to shake violently. 1st, 3rd and 4th gears seem to be ok, but in 2nd the engine RPMs go up with no increase in acceleration. Backing off the throttle generally lets the next gear catch, but if you accelerate with any force at all it begins to shake the entire car so hard you think you are in a washer on spin. I had advised my daughter not to spend so much money on a used car but like so many others I mistakenly believed the lies about Honda reliability and figured at least she would get quality for the extra money. When she told me about the problem I found thousands of instances of this same type of failure documented on the internet along with specific information about the defective outsourced transmissions and to a fine point, the inadequate lubrication of the 2nd gear clutch pack in this faulty transmission. She can't afford to spend an amount equal to the purchase price to get the transmission fixed and the seller won't answer calls. This is the kind of thing that has a long lasting effect. Honda had a chance to get a lifelong buyer at a young age. Instead they are creating an entire family who will not buy their product and will shout from the rooftops to everyone in person and on the internet about the fallacy of Honda quality. Admitting they sold a horrible product and replacing them with something that works would be a start. This really amazes me. Toyota ate a HUGE loss due to people pushing the throttle instead of the brakes in a few instances, but Honda foists this total piece of crap transmission on the world knowing that it is inferior with nary a word. So when someone goes to pull out in traffic and the lousy transmission slips causing people to be killed in a crash, perhaps that multi-million dollar lawsuit will bring the attention they need to act.

- , lavista, NE, USA

Aug 212011

Accord EX 3.0L

well..I'm not really going to complain,.because the previous owner used Dextron 3 as the replacement fluid..and we ALL know that it uses HONDA ATF---so,. what i did was disconnect the trans lines,.blew out with compressed air..re-connected..drained trans,..filled with appropriate fluid--drove 25 miles,.drained fluid,..replaced with Honda ATF,..and continued changing it until i had a nice RED HONDA TRANS FLUID COLOR....and well,.she shifts fine and dandy...it has almost 200,000 miles on it..and unsure of previous owners driving habits etc...umm for what its worth--you cant beat a HONDA...(even though i traded my 99 integra for a 1986.5 Toyota Supra)-always wanted one of those--& yes my Teggy would smoke my supra--my Teggy was not stock-but--Peace out people,. use common sense and don't let inexperienced people under the hood of your Honda-or you will pay for it sooner or later...Bob Fedder (ASE Cert. auto tech)

- , Homer City, PA, USA

Mar 012011

Accord 2.0L

Sick of Honda now,.. was a fan of honda till this crap..

Agents know , everybody know the issue but no solution..

I have to pay all my savings to fix it :(.. still no clue where it'll stop...

Update from Sep 27, 2011: Gear Slipping.

issue is on clutch burn due to bad maintenance. replacement will solve and regular servicing when short running in low gears.

Update from Sep 27, 2011: Gear Slipping

- , G, Western, Sri Lanka

Jan 172011

Accord LX 3

I loved owning Honda's for the most part, until now. My 99 Accord, well maintained, now has the dreaded tranny problem. With only 141,000 miles it's hard to want to part with it. But with these times, it's harder to drop over 3 grand just to repair a car. I'm thinking of buying a used car at that price.

- , Appleton, WI, USA

Jan 192011

Accord LX 2.3L V4

I bought the car new in November 1998. My wife liked others, but I decided to buy the Honda because of the reputation. I have kept the car in exceptional care because I always believe you reap what you sow. November 2010, I decided to rotate the tires and had one of the lug nuts cross threaded. With that, I took the vehicle to the dealer to have them replace. While at the dealership, I had them replace the transmission fluid. Now, two months later the car starts shifting hard and whining out before shifting. I take the vehicle back to the dealership to diagnose. They diagnose as being a torque converter error and price fixing it for $4400. Needless to say, I am not happy. Transmission are a known problem for Honda models 1998 - 2004, and they will do nothing about the issue. I do not mind paying some money to get the vehicle fix, after all, I do have 131,000 on the car, but $4400. That is absurd. I will never purchase or recommend another Honda as long as I am alive. I come from a large family and have many friends. I will do my best to bad mouth every possible Honda purchase I can. I have NEVER written a complaint or even commented on a website until today, and I will search Dr. Google to complain about this vehicle where ever I can. Thank you for your patients, and I hope this inspires someone to purchase a different brand.

Update from Feb 1, 2011: Just an update, I contacted American Honda motor company today and spoke with a woman by the name of Tara. I described the situation and she placed me on hold to check on the situation. After coming back on the phone, she said the car was out of warranty and I would have to take car of the problem myself. I explained to her that this was a known problem with that year Honda, and I did not mind paying for some of the repair, but I was not going to pay $4400 for a known problem. She again stated that it was the customers problem and could not help me. I guess the thing that bothers me the most is there was no effort on their part to make matters right with the customer. Again I stress, STAY AWAY FROM HONDA. Honda does not care about their customers.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 062011

Accord LX V6

Before purchasing my '99 Honda Accord LX, less than a month ago from a private owner; I owned a '99 Nssn Altima. Now that I no longer have the Altima(totaled), I sure do miss it dearly. I test drove the Accord purchased from a private owner and I noticed the gear shifting roughly. The owner's son assured me that Honda typically shift harder and gears up but its normal! Normal he was right about that..! When the car was cold, the shift would not accelerate over 0-20, even though the RPM's went up to 4. I would have to gear down to 0 and let the gear kicked back in to go but as soon as i accelerated to 20 mi. well you get the idea. Now once the car was warm, the gears shifted smoothly. I was told to get a tune-up, check the c-cap(?), and flush the transmission. Trying to be nice but sneaky last Wednesday, my boyfriend took my car to get serviced. The tech went to put my car in reverse and it would not go in reverse. To sum it all up, my car is sitting in my drive way! Honda please help us consumers who trusted your reputation, your name and your brand for our day to day welfare!

- , Bowling Green, KY, USA

Dec 162010

Accord EX V6

My honda hesitates when taking off. I get scared that someone may hit me from behind. RPM goes very high and I didn't even hit the gas to go.

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Aug 112010

Accord EX V-Tech 3.0

Bought the car and once in a while the Tranny would shift hard or not automatically shift right then one day it wouldn't drive right. It would rev up when stepping on the accelerator to go from a complete stop. It would start out really slow, rev up then had a dropping sound and a jerk to to the car. It would do this twice after taking off then would be okay until the car would have to come to a stop again then it would drop again just before coming to a complete start. The whole thing would repeat once I tried to start off again from a stop and every so often would rev out real bad and not even shift into gear. I parked the car after that day and haven't driven it except to get put on the diagnostic machine at Auto Zone and then back home and parked. Nothing showed up on diagnostics and the person tried three times but when I left there and was heading home, my engine light came on...Makes no sense to me or anyone else I have spoken with. This is my first honda bought it with 186,000 miles already on it and had heard they go well over 250,000 and since I don't drive to much just to school and stores around town I figured it would last me quite a long time....I was wrong and the "RUMORS" of such a great car were wrong and now I have no money to fix, no money to buy new used car and no body would want to buy a car with a bad tranny so I am SOL! Thanks Honda for nothing!

- , Salem, OR, USA

Jul 022010

Accord LX 3.2L

I hate Honda!, you can gauge my frustration levels by now...I go onto road preying god help me no one hit me from behind..my transmission behaves sooo erratic that i don't know when is stops and makes hugeeeeeeeeeeee noise and hardly moves an inch :( .

It all started with Tran fluid leakage from the CV-Tran joint. Then i replaced the seals on both ends of Tranny-CV joints....result waste of money and time. Fluid kept leaking...I took it to local Honda Dealer, they simply suggested for Tranny replacement for $4000 and a complaint to Honda. Honda never cared, as they think 99 model got a GOOD tranny:( I cannot afford to pay 4000$ at this point in time, as I recently undergone ACL surgery and still getting number of bills running in thousands :(

I don't understand why this curse(Honda) happen to me?

- , Decatur, GA, USA

Mar 122007

Accord LX

It has been over 3 years since this happened, but I just became aware of this website. Obviously, it was a big disappointment for me to buy (what I thought was) a "good, reliable" car at 49,000 miles, only to have to pay $2,000 more for a new transmission at 100,000 miles. All Honda could say about their great reputation was "it is out of warranty." It has made me skeptical of future Honda products. I also have a friend with the same vintage model who had to have his transmission replaced.

- , Palm Springs, CA, USA

Jan 112006

Accord EX V6

Car first started slipping going from first to second and has progressively gotten worse. My mechanic said it's a known issue with this model. I also have a friend that had the same car and had to have her transmission replaced then the new one failed too. So, we've just been waiting for this one to fail and I believe it's going to be any day now. The car revs so high sometimes before it changes I only get about 17 mpg. This is my 3rd accord and I've never had this kind of problem.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Feb 052010

Accord EX 2.2L 4 cyl

It's really been a constant problem. Going to and from work is like will i make to work. By the time it's time to leave i wonder if I'm going to make it home. I'm now running into the problem of it not starting. I know you all understand i don't know how I'll get the money to fix this problem. After hearing all the other stories i don't have the finance to go through what some of you have gone through. The constant stalling and jerking of my car has drained me. Emotionally. I'm at my wits end.The transmission slips bad in 1st and 2nd gear when I'm at a light and take off it rev's up high and i pray i made it through the light Honda please help us we love your cars but this is crazy after spending all the money to buy the car.

- , Hesapeake, VA, USA