CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2000 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

5.9

2. repair at own cost (9 reports)
  3. seat belt switch replaced under lifetime warranty. (5 reports)
  4. technical bulletin 02034 (update 06-009) (3 reports)
  5. allow dealer to read code detail (2 reports)
  6. (1 reports)
2000 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Honda Accord:

2000 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Dec 102007

Accord Sedan 3.0L

Well... got back the results of the tests and a computer code came back called a P 1739 Manufacturer Controlled Transmission. Had it been a P1503, it would have been a sensor only...I knew something was up. Additionally I also have to replace the Distributor and the Front brakes... I opted for a gallon of gas and a box of matches. Thank god the car is paid off. Already planning on my next car. A Horse!

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Dec 102007

Accord Sedan 3.0L

I want to put it on record that in all the years I've owned my car I have NEVER had a problem. NEVER. It's a perfect car and that's a fact. That is until Sears got their grimy little hands on it. I went to get two new tires because its that time of year. I grew a beard waiting for my car to be done; Sears told me 1.5 hrs later my car was ready. I immediately could tell that something was off and after I got on the highway the SRS Light came on. I immediately pulled over because my car is meticulously maintained and I could tell that something was wrong but as I slowed down the light went off. It appears to be speed related. I immediately thought Tranny! (God no! Please not the tranny!) Went home and tried to figure it out and it is intermittent at first. Now it appears to be definitely speed related. Iím wondering if something they did triggered itÖAs I drove I would test putting the car in neutral and the light would go away, then after a few seconds of the car being back in drive the light would come back on, Dead stop the car sounds funny, like it is... sick.

I have an appointment with Sears this morning to ream the Tech. as I found that "occasionally" SEARS Techs will remove the steering wheel if the alignment is not quite perfect and reset it on the spindle, itís actually quite easy. Problem though is there is a wire in the column that connects to the SRS sensor and tells the sensor if there is a problem with the steering wheel. Also my carís lights at a dead stop are dimming with the engine idle, Could this all be electrical????

Iím pretty confident it is speed related, but I have to wait to come back and tell you the outcome, this only happened last night.

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 202007

Accord V6

Not really a big deal. I had diagnostic test run and had 2 mechanics look over it. It never showed as a problem. All I can say is beware: side airbag may not work. Mine goes on and off too. Sometimes it is on for 1 minute before shutting off. Other times it stays on for 5 -10 minutes before shutting off. Lately, it hasn't been coming on very much at all. Weird.

- , Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 242007

Accord EX 3.0L

A month after I changed the rear brake pad on the car, I noticed the SRS light comes on intermittently. Sometimes it'll stay on for a good five minutes and then go off. I called the dealership regarding this problem and my concerns about the OSPD sensor could be the root source. They said that they would changed me $100 for diagnostic fees if the cause is not the sensor. This is ridiculous since this is a safety issue and the only way for them to find out if it's really the sensor, they have to do a diagnostic anyway. Dealerships are worse than crooks.

- , Elkridge, MD, USA

Apr 122007

Accord LX

SRS light on, no accident or anything that too i was maintaining very well my car with all services. I went to a Honda dealer to check, he charged $90 and reset the code again it came back on. They are telling now it will cost around $900.00. This it too ridiculous man. that is too much money man.

- , Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Mar 212007

Accord LX 4CL

Have the SRS light on for a few thousand miles now. Appears it will be a hassle to have the dealer fix it. First, it wasn't covered by the "defect" if it doesn't have side air bags. It doesn't.

Then they will only cover the seat belt repair if the code says it is that. The Honda service dept. warned me that if it isn't the belt I would have to pay the $120 diagnostic fee.

What do you want to bet the code will say something else so they can make money?? There is obviously a problem with this in several years of Honda Accords.

- , White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Mar 192007

Accord EX 2.3L

Light came on about 9 months back but I didn't have time to take care of it until recently. Initially took my car to a trusted local mechanic. He referred me to the dealer because he said the issues should be covered under a lifetime warranty. I took the car to Power Honda in Costa Mesa, CA. They diagnosed the problem as a faulty seat belt (female portion). They replaced it with a new one and it cost me nothing since seatbelts/airbags and labor associated with are covered under a lifetime warranty. They had my car for 24hrs. Overall, the experience was very good. The SRS light has now been off for two weeks... I hope it stays that way.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 092006

Accord LX

Dealer did state that the diagnostic test would cost approximately $100 and that I would be responsible for this charge if it was not the seat belt switch or other warranty item causing the fault.

- , Woodstock, GA, USA

Jan 192007

Accord SE V4

I had this problem two months ago and went to the dealer last month he fixed it(said there was no light on when he checked) the light had indeed gone but came back after one or two weeks seems Honda will have to issue the letter to all of the Honda Accord users of 2000 and 2001 Models.

It is a pain there is no safety in the car.

- , Bayamon, PR, USA

Nov 162006

Accord EX 4 cyl

My SRS light came on and never went off. The dealer said minimum cost is $80 and up, all day repair. Now I find out a whole bunch of Hondas have this problem. I'm glad I found out before I bought the wife a Honda. Who needs this problem? I filed complaint with NHTSA. If enough of us file, there will be a recall.

- , Camarillo, CA, USA

Jan 032007

Accord EX 3.0 V6

My SRS light came on and off intermittently for a while, now it is on all the time. Dont want to spend a fortune to fix, I feel Honda should fix these since it affects safety.

- , Westminster, MD, USA

Oct 202006

Accord LX Sedan 2.3L 4 cyl

The SRS just came on (apparently like lots of folks'). We are leaving tomorrow morning for a vacation trip, so wanted to weigh my risks. The Dealer can't work me in for two weeks. Internet info causes lots of flashing red lights to come on in my head: 1) Potential high repair cost - $500 - $1000. 2) May or may not be covered by warranty or Honda campaign. 3) Air bags may or may not deploy when needed until I get it fixed. 4) Even if I get it fixed, the problem may recur. All this sounds more like Ford or GM, not Honda. Guess I will have to see.

- , Moline, IL, USA

Dec 182006

Accord EX 4

The SRS light has been on for about 2 months. Took it to the dealer and was told the cost to replace a sensor and some seat pad will be $640 plus tax. This is Bad.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Dec 192006

Accord EX Sedan 2.6L V4

SRS Light is on. Earlier, it used to come on at different times, and now it stays on all the time. The dealer told me that the airbags won't deploy if the SRS light is on, which is pretty annoying. I was told that it would cost a lot of money to fix the problem. This is an important safety feature, I feel Honda should provide a lifetime warranty, just like they do for seatbelts.

- , Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Nov 082006

Accord LX

SRS light is on for weeks. Found it means airbag is not working. Called service center, routed to service advisor finally and he said it will cause $126 just for inspection and they will call Honda if it applies to the case in Honda technical bulletin. Hard to decide what to do. I may end up with paying $126 + whole airbag replacement. Any good suggestions ?

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 192006

Accord LX

SRS light has been coming on every few months for the last 20,000 miles. I can reset it and it seems to be fine but last week I had to remove the battery. Now the light comes on every 2 or 3 times the engine is started. Honda has no intention of paying for it and I can't see paying up to $1,300 to fix it. Are there any alternative solutions?

- , Montgomery, AL, USA

Jul 292006

Accord

I have had a problem with my airbags. The SRS light always was on. I have been trying to fix it, but the cost was very expensive. I did, I fixed it but after a few months the ligth was on again. No good! This card always have problems!

- , 14607 Erwin St, CA, USA

May 082006

Accord DX

SRS suddenly on with no reason and keeps on all the time. Will not buy a Honda.

- , Braintree, MA, USA

Jun 132006

Accord EX

My SRS light has been on for several months, I do not have the money to fix it. Now, I get paperwork stating there is a problem with the SRS light in other cars, however, I do not qualify because I DRIVE TOO MUCH! How unfair is that, I have the same problem because it is a defect and they say it is my problem! I have to commute to work, but somehow Honda thinks you should limit the miles you drive. What a crock! I think it should be about the defective part not the mileage or time or anything. If they use defective parts everyone is entitled to a free repair! I just hope I do not have an accident and need those airbags. Honda should stand behind their mistakes.

- , Kingsville, OH, USA

Apr 132006

Accord LX

Honda just issued Technical Bulletin 02034 (update 06-009) for a faulty control unit that caused the SRS to come on. The warranty is for 10 years or 150,000 miles. I called the Honda dealer in San Francisco and was told that there is a charge of $138.50 for checking. If it is the control unit, Honda will pay for everything. If not, I will have to pay the $138.50 myself.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA