CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2000 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

7.2

$2,659.00

2. replace transmission (30 reports)
  3. replaced transmission with rebuilt (13 reports)
  4. swap out the automatic transmission with manual (2 reports)
  5. have good independent transmission shop fix problem (1 reports)
  6. replaced torque converter,selenoid & rebuilt transmission (1 reports)
2000 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Honda Accord:

2000 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jan 012005

Accord LX 2.3L

I've had my 2000 Honda Accord for 13 years now. It's been a great car but I've lived in fear of the transmission ever since the news of the recall. After learning that there was really no fix and that all Honda's were doing was replacing the transmissions with new ones, I decided to take my changes.

Mine had already lasted to nearly 100k miles and does slip a lot going into 1st gear. I've learned to baby it and give it time to find 1st gear from a stop. Occasionally in the winter it will unexpectedly downshift and cause a quick jolt. I'm at about 160k miles now and hoping it can just hold on for a couple of more years. I feel for everyone on this forum!

- , St. Charles, IL, USA

Jul 082010

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Transmission slips between 1st and 2nd gear and sometimes into 3rd. Causes rpm's to skyrocket over 4000, and when it catches, transmission will lurch forward. My car was turned in for the recall due to the transmission and parts were changed, but I still have a problem. It is impossible to keep rpm's under 3000 while daily driving, I find myself waiting to be stranded on the side of the road somewhere when it finally gives out. Oh, did I mention i can red line it where most other cars would be approaching the 3500 mark (ps: red line on my Honda Accord starts at 6300 rmp's) extremely unhealthy for engine!

- , Tampa, Florida, USA

Aug 012013

Accord EX V4

On advice of Ed Voyles Honda Marietta, GA, i got transmission fluid flushed on my Honda Accord 2000 on 11/6/2012. After couple of months problem with transmission started appearing. When i visited honda service center on 9/4/2013, they suggested to replace transmission.

My car was driving perfect and honda service center guys spoiled it. What to do now?

- , Marietta, Georgia, USA

Sep 092011

Accord DX 3.0L V6

At first I was very excited of getting a Honda, after around 5 months that I had it I was extremely disappointed at Honda's, my point of view on Honda's has changed thanks to this problem.

- , Elgin, IL, USA

Apr 152010

Accord LX 3.2L

I bought this car in April 2010 and at 100005 miles have this problem. It always gives a kind of long jerk when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. I checked with different mechanics they say it I need to change the whole transmission. I'm still driving it and have 140,000 miles now. Still the same problem is same so transmission is not getting worse, something wrong with making................

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 232013

Accord EX 2.3L L4 Sfi Ohv

2000 Honda Accord Ex transmission slips, jerks in gear. Especially bad in street driving, but also very noticeable during highway driving.

Update from Feb 23, 2013: Highly unfair that Honda only honors the repair within 7 year, 100k mile period for a KNOWN PRODUCTION defect! The sheer number of problems would alert any reasonable person that the problem is persistent, AND was a problem from the very beginning of design.

- , Oakland, CA, USA

Jan 272013

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Hoping Honda Customer service will have a heart and stand behind their transmission recalls and give us some good will.

- , Ladera Ranch, CA, USA

Jun 062007

Accord EX 2.3L Utec

I purchased my new Accord EXL, year 2000 model, back in 1999 because I believed that that Honda brand and "Made in Japan" tag are synonymous with quality and reliability. There was a general impression that Honda cars have better resale value than any American cars. To preserve the value of my car, I always got all repairs in the last 14 years done at Honda dealership and maintained my car very well. I was surprised at about 76,000 miles (in 2007) my car's transmission failed - so much for quality and reliability. Its transmission was in fact replaced by Honda under warranty. Even after replacing the transmission with a new one, its transmission has failed yet again at 136,000 miles. This I've been quoted $4,600 to fix this problem. It's resale value is a moot point and any body's guess! I'm not buying a Honda anymore and from my experience dissuade people from blindly purchasing overrated Japanese cars.

- , Roswell, GA, USA

May 132009

Accord LXI 2.3L 4 cyl

We bought this car back in 2004 and it was a smooth ride and we had only had one problem with the A/C before the transmission issues started a few years back. At first when accelerating from a stop the car would take a while to change into gear and even sometimes miss gears, but this was just a random thing that hardly ever happened so we took no action towards the issue. Now the car is almost impossible to drive, accelerating is horrible as the car will take a while to change into gear and the revs will get higher until they're almost in the red and then the car will finally change into gear or freak out and change down gears or even miss gears. When trying to keep a constant speed the car will also randomly change up or down gears which makes it very difficult to keep a constant speed.

We had taken the car back to Honda NZ for them to look into the problem but they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. We then took it into a different mechanic and he said he thought it could be a problem with the transmission as he has seen many others with the same problem, he told us that he would look into it to confirm the problem and that we could collect the car later that day. We collected the car and the guy there told us we need the transmission replaced which would cost about $4,000, the car was only worth about $5,000 or $6,000 to sell so we told him not to worry about it. We visited Honda after looking on the internet and seeing many things about transmission problems and after receiving the mechanics report and asked them to do something about it as it is obviously a common manufacturers fault but they refused to go anywhere near the car and tried to sell us a new Accord instead.

We loved our Honda's. We have had an Odyssey, Integra, Prelude, Civic and an older model Accord which were problem free but this one Accord has been plagued with transmission issues. Honda were always our first choice when looking at cars. After this Accord and Honda's refusual to do anything about it, Honda is now our last choice. We are very proud owners of a very reliable problem free Toyota Highlander, Jaguar X-type, VW Polo, Subaru Legacy and a Mazda 6.

I have heard many things about the D4 light blinking but we can't see this as our D4 light has never worked since the day we bought the car.

Update from Jan 29, 2013: We actually bought the car in 2006 not 2004

Update from Feb 6, 2013: We have contacted Honda New Zealand over this issue again and they are still refusing to do anything. Their excuse is because our Honda is a New Zealand new car it was manufactured in Japan or Thailand and since this website ends it .com it is an American website so it must only have complaints about American Honda's, and the American Honda’s are manufactured in the United States of America or Mexico so they are apparently different. I have researched on the internet and it seems to be the design of the transmission that is at fault and it doesn't matter where it was manufactured. We told Honda about this but Honda New Zealand has told us that we must pay $6,000-$9,000 to have the transmission replaced as it is only a problem with the American Honda's. This is outrageous! We are now planning to take Honda to the Motor Vehicles Disputes Tribunal (a small claims court) and claim for a transmission repair or take them to a national TV show, Target or Fair Go (focus on consumer issues and putting them right), and see if this issue can be resolved.

- , Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand

Jul 202012

Accord LX 3.2L

When I press on the gas, it has a hesitation when the transmission is changing over.

- , TEMPERANCEVILLE, VA, USA

Dec 102010

Accord SE 2.3

The transmission started slipping and just outside of the 100,000 warranty. Big surprise!

- , Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Aug 012011

Accord EX 4 cyl

Slipped in reverse. Mostly on hills. Over the course of a year it got so bad I couldn't reverse on hills really at all and it would even slip on flat ground most of the time.

- , Scotts Valley, CA, USA

Jul 142011

Accord EX 4 cyl

So my 2000 Honda Accord EX 4cly has 130,000 miles but my transmission shouldn't be jerking from a red light, should it? Apparently so since so many other people have complained about the same problem.

Shame on you Honda. Was never made aware of the recall.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 312012

Accord EX 4 cyl

My 2000 Honda Accord starting slipping then the check engine light came on. I took it to shop, paid 1653.00 and check engine light is still on and it shifts really hard when cold.

- , sparks, NV, USA

Oct 192011

Accord 3.0L V6

This is and was a well known problem settled through class action. Unfortunately, I was not aware of or party to the settlement and missed qualifying. Honda was not willing to help me in any way. Very disappointed.

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 302011

Accord LX

I have not had the car fixed as of yet. I'm still debating on if its worth putting this amount of money into it. I'll also need to get other estimates as I have only taken it to the dealer. I will say this I will NEVER purchase another Honda!!!!!!!!!! This will be the SECOND TIME HAVING THE TRANSMISSION REPLACED. The first time was partly covered under the extended warranty. I am the sole owner of this vehicle and it has always been serviced by the dealer. What truly made me mad was when I pointed out that this was absolutely crazy having to have the transmission replaced twice the service adviser tried to blame me and say I didn't get the transmission fluid replaced often enough. The funny thing is GP Honda always serviced the car and it wasn't recommended. Even on the paper work I received with the estimate for their overall vehicle check they checked good under transmission fluid. The other stupid comment he made is you're getting about 100K per transmission as if that was normal. Again I'll NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER HONDA AND IF I DO GET IT FIXED IT WON'T BE AT GP HONDA!!!! I would have thought Honda would have taken better care of its customers. Once you purchase the car all you can really do is take care of the car. When you've taken care of the car and still have major problems with it the manufacturer should resolve it. They should stand behind their product!! I bought the car because of their so called dependable reputation....they're obviously extremely overrated!!!!

- , Grayson, GA, USA

Dec 052010

Accord SE 4

D4 light blinked. Transmission slammed into reverse. Check engine light went on. Honda dealer charged $100 to read problem. Said I needed 3K transmission.

Changed fluid. Check engine came on again, but went out. Have added Auto-Rx 1500 miles ago. No significant difference but not any worse...............yet.

Car runs well, but tranny slips going into 3rd. Also hesitates to engage when accelerator is pushed after slowing way down. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Third Honda. First was great. Second rusted but was great. This one is great but has a lousy transmission. Honda is not customer oriented anymore; especially, at a time when I cannot afford it, at 65.

When I wanted the "check engine" light turned off, Honda wanted $100. Went down the street and had it done for nothing, at a tranny shop.

- , Bay City, MI, USA

Jan 022012

Accord LX 3.0vtech

having all the same problems transmission slipping at 78k shutting off when starting makes like a gurgling sound have to hit the gas to get it going, I see everyone has this problem. I'm on board, factory recall Transmission

- , philadelphia, pa, USA

Dec 222011

Accord DX 2.3L I4 Vtec

We have been VERY happy with our 2000 Accord. Twelve years and 120k miles is not too bad. No major repairs in the life of this car, never left anyone by the side of the road. A new/used transmission is just too big an investment for this car, so gbye.

- , Norcross, GA, USA

Nov 022011

Accord EX 4 cyl

Bought the car used, in 2002. Had transmission replaced shortly thereafter. Within another 44,000 miles, transmission is failing again. This is a LOW-mileage, gently-used vehicle that will be worthless on a trade-in and all the mechanics I've contacted are having problems even finding a good transmission for it. Honda has refused to help pay for another transmission. If anyone knows of further action I may take, please let me know. Thank you!

- , Gulfport, MS, USA