Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2001 Honda Accord electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 292008

Electrical power to the car just shuts off momentarily and then all the dashboard lights will come back on. Sometimes the car will not do anything when you put the key in the ignition to start it and then suddenly it works fine. Has shut down once while driving on the freeway.

- Farmington, UT, USA

May 062006

Accord 4-cyl

Purchased used vehicle in March 2006. In May 2006 I experienced an engine cutout while driving on the highway. This symptom still exists intermittently. When this happens the immobilization light also comes on. I also experience a starting problem with the car intermittently. The dash lights normally come on when the car starts. When the car does not start, the check engine light and the immobilization indicator light are both off. I've also seen instances where the other lights are off and only the check engine light is on. If I let the car sit for 10 minutes or more, it will start. I've had the car to the Honda dealer service department. They checked my keys which were ok. They also replaced the main relay and the main computer and I am still having the problem. They are of no further help.

- Stewartville, MN, USA

Aug 012004

Accord 4-cyl

One day, my SRS check light came on randomly. I researched it on the internet to see what the problem may be, and I was informed that they're one of the very common problems associated with the 6th generation Accord, that are caused by no real problems. Honda corporation is not willing to offer a remedy about the problem, even though it involves safety issues (airbags will not deploy when the SRS light is illuminated). I have to take it to the dealer now and pay $80+, just to have it checked out. If my SRS needs to be replaced, as with most cases experienced by other Accord owners, it will be another $700+ for replacement.. thank you for your time and attention.

- Londonderry, NH, USA

Aug 142006

Accord 6-cyl

2001 Honda Accord V6 worst of 4 Honda's I have owned. Replaced all electrical under drivers seat, replaced brake sensor 3 times - allows gearshift to release. Rear main seal leak, transmission replaced, door lock motors replaced, led readout on odometer won't show one number, replaced the master cylinder. Car has not been in accident and had to have casters on front frame adjusted so it wouldn't chew up the tires. Most of this happened under warranty except for the rear main seal. This should have been a jag.

- Houston , TX, USA

May 092006

On May 9 when I took my car in for service (for oil change, etc.), I mentioned to the service technician that recently the yellow "maintenance light" comes on while driving. When I returned the next day to pick-up my car, I was told that the technicians could not locate the problem, and therefore they just "reset" the maintenance light on the dashboard. While driving on May 11, the speedometer in my car sporadically dropped and then went back up again (together with the yellow maintenance light flashing over and over again). After much aggravation with this unsafe driving condition, I again brought my car back to the dealer (on May 12) -- after speaking with the assistant manager about the problem. I had to get a loaner car for the day...the technician finally located the problem that car needed a totally new gauge assembly (temp gauge, speedometer, fuel gauge, etc), and I was told that this part was out of the factory warranty and would cost approximately $ also would take about 1 week to order. Even the service tech's indicated that usually this part only wears out after the car is about 10 to 15 yrs old. As I drove my car on May 19, all gauges in the dash assembly were improperly working -- they (speedometer, etc.) registered at "0" as I drove and the gas tank gauge dropped to "E" (even though I had recently filled the tank)....definitely a driving hazard! after using my car for 3 days in this unsafe driving mode, I was finally told by the dealer on May 22 that the gauge assembly had arrived. I had to pay $370.86 to have this part installed on May 22. I cannot believe that a gauge assembly that is so crucial for safety while driving would not be covered by the Honda corporation. Please let me know what can be done about this situation. If you need any further info, let me know. Thank you.

- Maple Glen, PA, USA

May 102006

Accord 6-cyl

: the contact stated the airbag light illuminated intermittently while the vehicle was running. No other indicators were present at the time of illumination. The dealer was unable to duplicate the problem, but the dealer replaced the entire driver seat belt in a unsuccessful attempt to remedy the problem. Updated 5/23/2006 -

- Pitman, NJ, USA

Apr 282005

Accord 4-cyl

On 4 seperate occasions, I have been driving the car under 35 mph, when the instruments on the dashboard lit up and the car lost all power including the power steering. Today I was almost rear ended when it happened. All the events have been within the last year. I have also noticed that the radio has been skipping stations the last several days. The instrument panel that controls the clock does not work at longer. The most concerning issue is losing power as I'm driving, wondering if the person behind me is going to stop after applying the brakes and putting on my emergency signals. I am not the first person that have had this problem with the 2001 model. Someone needs to look into the situation to determine what is causing the problem and issue a notice before someone dies when the car loses power.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Sep 252004

Honda Accord 2001, noise from A/C and "maintenance" light would also flicker. The light bulb behind the digital clock was replaced, the gauges on the dashboard would illuminate, when this occurred all the gauges would drop to zero for a few seconds.

- Orange, CA, USA

Oct 122004

Accord 6-cyl

The SRS light began to come on intermittently, and then stayed on. Took the car to the dealer, and was told the entire computer module needs to be replaced. No reason given - just "thing happen". no trauma or collision leading up to the light coming on, and definitely no airbag deployment.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Oct 022004

The air bag light was on. Dealer stated that consumers' cell phone on the seat made the light go on. Dealer showed consumer a paper, stating that the electronic devices caused problems with air bags. The consumer paid $300 for the repairs.

- Western Springs, IL, USA

Aug 252003

SRS light continues to come on. It was reset by the dealership and then immediately upon picking the car up the SRS light went on again. Dealership tells me that the SRS light in this car is usually set off by cell phone use in the passenger seat. I am a one person owner and do not have passengers. When SRS light went on again it went on while I was using a cell phone in the driver's seat.

- Honolulu , HI, USA

Dec 042002

When consumer placed the gear into drive, the vehicle lurched forward slowly, and then the alarm system went off and all dashboard lights started blinking erratically. Dealer advised the the cold weather caused the computer to enter fail safe mode. Ts

- Dekalb, IL, USA