Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2001 Honda Accord electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 012014

Instrument panel lights completely out. Very obviously the same issue referenced in NHTSA recall #04V256000 for the LX version of the Accord. You can feel the heat coming off the panel (before it was permanently broken.) paid hundreds of dollars to fix it at a Honda dealership, only to find that new bulbs and instrument panel didnżT work. Reading over the NHTSA is like deja vu, this is exactly the problem IżM facing but for some reason the ex version of the Honda Accord is not included in the recall. Well ask the dealer if I can pay to have the same work as the 'should be freeż recall is for the nearly identical version of the car. Extremely frustrating, makes the car very dangerous to drive at night.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Aug 102015

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V025000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Jun 202014

My ignition-park interlock is faulty but isn't under the current recall. It may be common sense to put the E-brake on when parking but not everyone is perfect, my vehicle has nearly rolled away multiple times now. Luckily I caught it in time to stop it from crashing. Also if I do leave the vehicle in D4 with the E-brake on, ignition key out of course, and I leave the vehicle parked, someone could break in and push it away. Regardless what I showed the dealership, they told me to contact Honda of America to file a complaint. I just did that and got told the same thing.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Jun 022015

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While driving at 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and had difficult steering. The contact restarted the vehicle and resumed normal operation. The failure recurred six times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ignition switch was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 168,020.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 012015

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While the gear lever was in the drive position, the contact was able to turn the key to the off position. As a result, the vehicle rolled away. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 05V025000 (electrical system) but the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Ann Harbor, MI, USA

Mar 102015

Accord 4-cyl

Ignition switch locked up, and my SRS light is on!

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jun 142007

Accord 6-cyl

Back in 2007 I noticed I was able to remove the key from the ignition when not in park. I talked to the Honda dealer to which I took my car at the time and was advised it was likely an ignition switch issue, would be expensive to repair and was not covered under any warranty. Since the issue was infrequent and could be solved by ensuring the car was in park before removing the key, I was told it did not have to be fixed. The issue has happened more frequently over the years. I can now easily slide the key out while the car is in gear and running. I brought my car to the dealer, was advised Honda had a recall for this issue for my make, model and year but my specific VIN was not included. The NHTSA database identifies this issue as NHTSA campaign id number: 05V025000. I called and spoke to Honda corporate customer service and was advise the issue was my responsibility since my VIN number is not associated with the recall. I am upset and extremely disappointed Honda will not take any responsibility for this issue despite the fact that I have been experiencing the exact issue described in the recall for years and my make, model and year vehicle is included in the recall. I do not understand and find it very suspect that my specific VIN number is not included. Internet research shows a large number of Honda owners are experiencing the same issue and their vins are also suspiciously also not included in the recall. This is a safety issue and I believe Honda should be forced to add any vehicle experiencing this issue to the recall and replace the defective parts at no cost to the vehicle owners.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Nov 212010

TL-the contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while the ignition key was in the run position, it released. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the interlock lever and the ignition needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000. Djr

- Ellicott, MD, USA

Nov 012011

Accord 6-cyl

The interior dashboard panel lights fail to light up.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 052014

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While driving at an unknown speed, all of the indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. Also, the vehicle would decelerate independently. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer and was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 170,000. Updated 08/11/14 the consumer stated the alternator, spark plugs, rotor cap starter and battery were replaced. Even though, the there was a recall on the air bag, the light continued to illuminate. Updated 08/14/14

- Addis, LA, USA

Feb 282013

Horn functions intermittently. While driving straight ahead (normal highway driving), horn does not work. Isolated the malfunction and found that the steering shaft is only intermittently grounded, and the horn requires that ground in order to function. The horn (and the steering shaft ground) operates perfectly when the key is removed from the ignition switch. It appears that something in the ignition switch is causing the loss of ground. The failure has not been repaired as of yet.

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Sep 042007

Accord 6-cyl

There have been several recalls for different Honda vehicles with this problem: The mechanism that locks the key in the ignition while the vehicles are in gear can wear out. When that happens, drivers are able to remove keys without shifting into park. I can take the key out without the car being in park. There have been no injuries to date. I have been trying to make sure that I put the emergency brake on everytime I park my car. This has been happening with my car for several years, but it has never been included in a recall. I am not sure when it started or what the mileage of the car was when it started. I called Honda today when I saw the latest recall to see if they would fix my car or if I have to wait until someone gets hurt or dies and they say to contact you because they could not just include my car in the recall.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 272012

My mother had picked up my niece from her school and was waiting for my nephew and his friend to get out of high school. When ready to go, the car was difficult to start. Took about 10 min to get the car to start. After the car started, went into reverse and backed out of the parking space. Put the car in drive and it "chugged" a couple of times. Then the car accelerated unexpectedly. She was unable to slow the car down by applying the brakes. The car traveled 460 feet accelerating the whole time.the approximate speed of the car was between 60-80 mph. At the end of the parking lot, she turned left and the car hit a curb launching them into a pole that holds up the chain link fencing around the school. They went thru the fencing and into the block wall behind it coming to rest there. All 4 occupants were seen by a doctor and released that day. My mother has numerous cuts and bruises. My nephew shoulder and back are hurting him. My niece has scrapes on the right arm from the block wall. My nephews friend has a black eye.

- Canyon Lake, CA, USA

May 042011

Car cuts off while in traffic...pull off road and wait for a few minutes and car will start.has happened multible times and is very problem is there is a recall for ignition switches for 1998 Honda Accord for this exact problem and looking at online blogs this is not an isolated problem for the 2001 Accord....why not"???"

- Loganville, GA, USA

Jan 122012

Accord 6-cyl

SRS light will not go off.

- La Verkin, UT, USA

Aug 212011

I was driving down the road at about 35 mph and the car just stalled for no apparent reason it had gas so I coasted on to the side of the road put it in park and it started fine went about 3/10ths of a mile got speed up to 30 mph also this time I turned off the radio and A/C and it stalled again coasted over to the side and stopped put in park and tried to crank this time it just turned over and would not crank at all I sat there with my emergency flashers flashing for about 5 minutes and it started fine that time I turned around and drove home and parked it there was no check engine light on and the car was at normal operating temp it was in the day time the temp outside was about 90 degrees Fahrenheit I had drove the car for about 15 minutes when it started this, there are a lot of complaints about this type of malfunction from Honda Accord in this year and model I have a 2001 Honda Accord 4 cylinder.

- Lexington, TN, USA

Jan 172010

Have 2001 Honda Accord 4 dr sedan. (ex). For the last 3 months after purchasing gas, once my car reaches the 1/2 available gas level, the check engine and tcs lights come on. Has been checked, diagnostics run-no answer to problem. If I stop, reopen my gas cap, replace the cap and crank it around @ 3 times, after 4 restarts of engine, the lights go off on my dashboard. Do not see any defects with gas cap as far as gaskets being defective.

- Manchester, NJ, USA

Jul 282005

The SRS light on my 2001 Honda Accord stays on. I have just learned that if the SRS light is on, it is an indicator that the airbags will not deploy should one be in an accident. I am not pleased, to say the least. I also read that Honda supposedly sent a letter to owners informing them of this defect. I have no recollection of receiving such a letter. The average cost for the repair is $700. I believe that Honda is responsible for the defect and should repair this defect at their cost. The SRS light has been on since the day I purchased my car.

- North Port, FL, USA

Mar 172009

SRS light stays on 2001 Honda ex 75K. All electrical has shorted out on me while driving. Car has never been in an accident.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Dec 182008

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly shut off. Prior to the failure, a green light illuminated on the instrument panel. In addition, the brake and check engine indicators illuminated. The vehicle failed to move when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact stated that the failure occurred at least five times. The failure was related to the ignition switch and the vehicle was repaired. He feels it is a safety issue because a severe crash could occur due to the failure. The current and failure mileages were 75,121.

- Lombart, IL, USA