- June 10: U.S. Virgin Islands Sues Honda and Takata news | 17 days ago
- May 13: Hawaii Sues Honda and Takata Over Explosive Airbags news | 45 days ago
- May 8: Honda To Recall 21 Million Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 50 days ago
- May 5: Two More Malaysian Deaths Possibly Caused by Takata Airbags news | 53 days ago
- April 13: Patricia Mincey: Possibly the 11th U.S. Takata Airbag Death news | 75 days ago
Check Engine Light On
2001 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 2)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 106,739 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 31 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- new transmission (15 reports)
- not sure (11 reports)
- complete rebuild (3 reports)
- reset with code reader from Best Buy (2 reports)