CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

5.3

2001 Honda Accord miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Jan 012003

Accord 6-cyl

The paint on my 2001 Honda Accord is peeling and the clear coat is lifting, front to back, I have noticed this on many Honda's of years around the same age, dark colors, the paint and body shops said that there must be a problem with the paint and procedures in painting the car, this is the only Honda out of the 9 other Honda's, I've owned with a paint problem, this car only has 60000 miles on it, other Honda's that I have had as much as 250,000, and the paint looked great (1990 Accord) the dealer ship (groppetti Honda claims they never heard of this problem, but I continue to see Honda with this same paint problems, this looks like the same type of problem General Motors had back years ago and they corrected the paint with a recall, after many complaints, I know there are many complaints out there.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Aug 212006

Accord 4-cyl

I have a 2001 white Honda Accord. I purchased the car used in July 2004 and it was purchased from a Honda dealership. It was a "Honda certified used car, " and I purchased the additional warranty for it. Over the past year, I have noticed the paint is starting to stain. I have kept the car waxed, at least 1 time a year since I got it, but even this doesn't help. The paint is starting to bubble up and flake off...like blisters bursting open. There are several spots like this on the car. Also, every time I run through something on the road, the white paint stains. It will not come out during a hand washing or waxing. I took it to Honda, and they would not help. I took it to a local shop that is very reputable in the area and was told there is no clear coat left on the car, and it appears to have been a problem when the original paint was applied.

- Cumming, GA, USA