- April 19: Woman Punctured in the Throat by Exploding Takata Airbag news | 11 days ago
- April 8: Honda Pilots Recalled to Replace Gas Tanks recalls | 22 days ago
- April 7: Honda Recalls 2003 Accord to Replace Takata Airbags recalls | 23 days ago
2001 Honda Accord
seat belts / air bags Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.
Worst 2001 Accord seat belts / air bags Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- SRS light is on59
- air bag can kill you according to recall2
- airbag deployed for no reason1
- airbag partially exposed1
- NHTSA: Air Bags222
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Frontal: Sensor/Control Module52
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Frontal51
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Side/Window26
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Frontal: Driver Side Inflator Module19
- NHTSA: Seat Belts17
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front: Buckle Assembly4
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Rear3
- NHTSA: Air Bags: On-Off Switch Assembly2
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front2
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front: Retractor2
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front: Anchorage1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.