CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

6.2

2. call NHTSA/small claims court (5 reports)
  3. honda should recall and replace unit (4 reports)
  4. dealer replaced driver side seat buckle (2 reports)
  5. honda has issued a repair bulletin to all dealers on the srs (2 reports)
  6. call honda customer service first, then dealer (1 reports)
2001 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 142014

Accord EX V6

Went to dealer about the passenger side light always going on and they said there was no recall for that year on airbags.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 142014

Accord LX 2.3L 4-cyl Sohc (Mfi)

The SRS light in my 2001 Honda Accord came on a couple of years ago, and I read in the manual it had something to do with seatbelts.

When I had the car in a little later for the first recalled airbag repair, I had the dealer run a check , and they said no errors came up. So I just continued driving it with the light on.

Now on Nov. 14, 2014, when I took it in for the second recall for an airbag fix, I had them check it again. This time, they said the whole computer unit for the SRS system failed and needs to be replaced for $800! They had to order the part, and are notifying me when it's in. Meanwhile, I did some online research about this issue, as I told the dealer that I thought the failure of the computer chip is probably related to the whole faulty airbag system. They of course said no, and that it wouldn't be covered under the recall.

I'm mad as hell, and want Honda to pay for the repair, as it's their malfunction--my airbags have never been deployed, as I haven't needed them. But I didn't know until this week that I've been driving all this time with a deactivated seatbelt and airbag system! So if I have an accident, neither will deploy! I'm going to complain to Honda about this and try to get them to take responsibility, although it's probably wasted effort.

Has anyone else had this problem with the whole computer unit needing to be replaced? If so, did you have any luck getting Honda to pay, and did it fix the problem?

- , Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jun 012011

Accord EX F23 4 cyl

Some time last year the SRS light came on. This bright red light staring me in the face all the time. Well I heard about a recall on my car so I took it in to the Honda dealer to get fixed. Well while I was there I was talking to the guy about it and asked him to hook it up to a machine while it was back there to see if it could trace out the issue. Well about an hour later he called me up front to tell me that the recall that I went in for was fixed and that he talked to someone else in the shop about the SRS light. They told him that if the air bag was faulty and causing the SRS light to come on it would be an automatic replacement because of some safety issue. Well the guy went on to tell me that the machine told him that it was NOT the air bag but some sort of wiring issue before it ever got to the airbag. And it was going to cost me about 800.00 bucks or so to fix the wiring harness.* WELL THAT’S JUST STUPID* if the SRS light is on at all the air bags WILL NOT DEPLOY. So is that not a safety issue as well. I mean come on. It’s just really aggravating and I see a lot of others have this same problem as well. So if anyone has any way to fix this or any info on it please let me know..

- , East Bend, NC, USA

Dec 052012

Accord LX V6

Dealer wants $150 to diagnose the problem. Should be covered under safety warranty.

- , Springfield, VA, USA

Nov 092011

Accord LX V6

My SRS ABS and TCS lights all came on, and this is NOT THE FIRST TIME!!! I have been told 3 times now that it has to do with the seat belt on the passenger side and 3 times the seat belt has been replaced free of charge and 1 time I had to pay for a new air bag sensor on the passenger seat!! Now here we go again. This also happens when the weather turns cold-I was researching recalls this morning on air bag module replacement which is supposedly covered at no cost. I have not personally received a recall notice, so I am going to call HONDA first thing in the morning to find out why? Anyone else having these same problems? Would love to hear from you!

- , Stafford, VA, USA

Mar 232011

Accord LX 2.3L

just bought the car,from a dealer and the srs airbag light is on. also I think I have other electrical issues

- , Grove City, OH, USA

Mar 102011

Accord EX V6

SRS light had already been on. When I received the recall notice in the mail, I figured, ok this is why that light is on. Take it in to the dealer fix recall and like others, they informed me that it was an unrelated issue to the recall.

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Jul 122006

Accord EX 2.3L V4

it took two trips. the first time they reset the light. Imagine that when it came on again because they never changed the part. Thay reset the code. Thanks for nothing.

- , Lake Forest, CA, USA

Aug 012008

Accord

The SRS light has been on for a couple years. I was aware of a limited recall, but my vehicle was not initially included. Honda finally expanded the recall in 2010, and it took about 1 hour to fix. I started the car only to find that the SRS light was still on, so I asked the service tech to look into it. Both he and the Service Dept Manager tried to tell me that the SRS light was not related to the airbags. (C'mon guys, I'm a woman, but that doesn't make me car-stupid!) They said it had to do with the driver's side seat belt buckle and graciously offered to order it and replace it at no cost (except another day of vacation gone). Got home, checked the internet to find that there have been 2 seat belt buckle recalls.

I'm happy that Honda fixed the airbag deployment issues free of cost, but did the service department have to insult my intelligence twice?

- , Martinsburg, WV, USA

Apr 262010

Accord EX V6

I thought I was the only one with the SRS problem, the light on the dash staying on, but found out that a lot of my friends that have Hondas also had this problem. Don't really care for airbags, but the SRS light on the dash is really annoying. Tried the paperclip trick and it only stayed off temporarily. Then I heard that even if you get it fixed at the dealership, it could lead to other problems, I don't trust dealerships anyways, and without the extended warranty, it might cost you quite a bit. I'm just gonna do what my friends do and say the hell with it and drive it anyways. I'll tell you what though, my next car will NOT be a Honda.

- , Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Mar 162009

Accord EX 3.0L

The SRS light came on at 1??,000 miles... I just learned that THE DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODUCE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE.

Consequence:

METAL FRAGMENTS COULD PASS THROUGH THE AIR BAG CUSHION MATERIAL POSSIBLY CAUSING INJURY TO VEHICLE OCCUPANTS.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE AIRBAG INFLATOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 31, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AUTOMOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-800-999-1009.

I hope I don't need spend any money, to get this fixed!!

- , Lexington, SC, USA

Feb 242010

Accord EX 4-Cyinder

My SRS light came on last year and I took the car to the dealer. I was told the computer registered a low voltage signal to the unit and if the problem were to continue, either the battery would need replaced, or the SRS control unit. The problem continued and I discovered how to reset the light. There was a recall for the air bag inflator and that was replaced on the car in November 2009. The SRS light came on once after that and then was fine until 24 Feb 2010. The dealer said the control unit needs to be replaced and I asked them to request some assistance from Honda to help pay the cost. Honda told the dealer thay they would not help to defray the cost. The price is about $600.00. How is it that a severe safety issue like this would not be covered partially by the vehicle maker. Are'nt safety systems supposed to be reliable and work when you need them? I'm curious as to how many people in Hondas have been involved in accidents and had no air bag deployment because of a defective SRS control module.

- , Uniontown, OH, USA

Sep 162009

Accord EX 3.2L

Ok...I went in to have the recalled inflator fixed because it could possibly kill me with shards of metal if the airbag deployed, that night the SRS light came on adn now I have to worry it will not inflate at all. Called and told Honda dealer and they said it probable did not have anything to do with their work...of course! There was a $75 fee to have it checked. I talked the man into checking it for free as I have never had this problem until I took it in. They checked it and said the problem was the module was bad which in no way could have been caused by their repair!! They said it was just a coincidence and would cost me over $500. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I know it must be something they did

- , Spartanburg, SC, USA

Mar 012006

Accord LX Coupe Vtech V6

Honda has issued a repair bulletin to all dealers on the SRS problem. My 2001 Accord (82K miles) had it and the dealer replaced one of the seat belts (no cost to me). If the SRS (safety restraint system) light is on, Honda will cover it but I don't know about the airbag system which will trigger a different warning light (separate system). You should find another dealer, this one sounds inept, (or maybe just plain corrupt). Be glad you do not own a Chrysler product, 100K mile warranty means you take it back every month for 100K miles...:) Gene

- , Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Aug 012009

Accord EX

SRS light was on, went to Autozone for free diagnostic code check. They were very friendly, no wait (Naperville, IL location). No problem/errors found but told me that the codes are for engine problems only. Advised me to go to dealer. The dealership gave $65 estimate for diagnosis that can be applied towards repair. They called back in couple of hours and told me that it was because of driver side seat belt buckle and that it is fully covered under Honda's life time warranty. So will order and replace it in 3-4 days (1 hour job) for totally free. Yes, no cost to me (probably I got lucky).

Earlier I found instructions (thx to Google) for resetting SRS indicator too but did not try them.

- , Naperville, IL, USA

Aug 122009

Accord EX 3.0L Vtec V6

I bought my 2001 Honda Accord in June. It is absolutely a great running car . The lady I bought the vehicle from mother had past away and the did not need another car. I drove it to Tennessee and no problems at all. All of a sudden when I get back the airbag light flicks on and off, and then the rage of terror starts " SRS" light goes on then off and then it stays on. I took it to the honda dealership and they charged me 47.40 plus freakin tax which came to 53 dollars and some change to diagnosis the problem. I was ticked off. Once you don't let them fix the problem that day, they charge you anyway. Well the guy says that your entire SRS unit has failed and it is going to cost you $ 514.82 to repair it. I said are you serious? I said I do not think so. I think it could possibly be something else rather than just the srs unit has failed. If that's the case, then why does my airbag light pop on and off? they do not know a freakin thing at the dealerships except , on how to rip the customer off. I know repairs come as cars get older, but this frequent in many models of hondas. I think there needs to be a recall on the srs units in models 2000- present.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Decatur, AL, USA

Mar 132009

Accord EX 2.3L 4 cyl

MySRS light has been on for quite sometime, There is a Recall for the AIR BAG triggering mechanism. I took it to the dealer and they Fix it Free of charge but wouldn't touch the SRS Light complaint. I thought there would be a relation to the Light. They said it was a separate Issue. That I'd have to pay for Diagnosis and repair.!. Sure enough I thought They'd click the light "OFF" and charge me Lots of Money(I don't trust Dealers)

- , Midland, GA, USA

Nov 142006

Accord EX

SRS light staying on. If this affects the airbag deployage, this is a HUGE safety issue apart from the fact that we buy our Honda's because they're rated so high on safety.

- , Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Oct 082007

Accord LX V6

I had the car worked on for this problem years ago, but since the dealer could not solve the problem, I just ignored it. I learned recently that there was warranty extension for this situation. The Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS) was faulty. The extension was for 10 yrs. and 150,000 miles. My Accord currently has 161,000 miles, and I am in the process of appealing to Honda.

- , Downingtown, PA, USA

Apr 012003

Accord LX V6

The dealer worked on the car all day and cured the symptoms but not the source of the malfunction.

- , Downingtown, PA, USA