Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

1. new air bag please (2 reports)
2001 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Jan 222016

Accord EX 2.3L

This one is kind of really scary. Apparently the airbag of my car can kill me with metal pieces when it deploys. I was going to get it fixed and Honda said they would cover it since it's a recall. They even offered me a temp car on the phone but then my car decided to be a jerk and somewhat die. I only had this car for almost 8 to 9 months and it was nothing but problems. Out of all the cars my family has this had the lowest miles to. Everyone I showed and took it to said it would last a while and that it looked great. I'm incredibly disappointed. I hate this car.

- , Concord, NH, USA

Apr 062010

Accord EX 2.3L V4

Got recall notice that airbag might kill you if deployed. Took it down to get repaired and they couldn't get parts in for a couple months. I still am waiting to get repaired. I feel great driving my death trap.

- , Lake Forest, CA, USA