CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2001 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 4 of 12)

Oct 032014

Accord

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags) and stated that the part was unavailable to service the vehicle. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the delay. The VIN was unavailable. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Westfield, MA, USA

Sep 162014

Accord 4-cyl

I have a 2001 Honda Accord. I just read that many are being recalled due to airbag issues. Im not sure what to do to resolve this issue.

- Lee, NH, USA

Jun 022014

Accord 4-cyl

I have owned this car since new and maintained it at a Honda dealer from purchase until now for most maintenance. At approximately 168000 miles the SRS light came on. On 6/2/14 the Honda dealer in dover nh determined the occupant position detection system was malfunctioning and said I need to replace the opds control unit and opds sensor (code the dealer got was 15-3) at a cost of $661.98. In the spring of 2006 I received (and still have) a warranty extension notice that extends the warranty to 10 years or 150,000 miles which ever comes first on both the opds control unit and opds sensor if they malfunction. It is clear that Honda knew this was a major safety issue but did not elect to make a recall. I believe Honda extended the warranty to save money as Honda knew that many people do not keep their cars more than 10 years (or for 150,000 miles) and secondary buyers may not be aware of the extended warranty if theses items malfunctioned during the warranty period. I contacted Honda customer service to see if they would give me some consideration and they said the warranty expired in 2010 and I had to pay for the repairs. I believe that it is unconscionable for Honda not to have had a recall in 2006 for this issue as having the possibility of an airbag not working properly could cause serious injury or death. I now have an unsafe vehicle that is virtually worthless if I do not spend $668.98 to replace these units.

- Cape Neddick, ME, USA

May 032014

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the air bag warning light flickered. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who indicated that they did not have the part available to repair the vehicle. The authorized dealer indicated that they would need approval from the manufacturer to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V351000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000...updated 08/11/14 the consumer stated the problem has been resolved. Updated 08/26/14

- Castle Valley, CA, USA

Jun 052014

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While driving at an unknown speed, all of the indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. Also, the vehicle would decelerate independently. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer and was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 170,000. Updated 08/11/14 the consumer stated the alternator, spark plugs, rotor cap starter and battery were replaced. Even though, the there was a recall on the air bag, the light continued to illuminate. Updated 08/14/14

- Addis, LA, USA

Jul 042013

Accord

I went into a Honda dealer for the air bag recall, twice. My airbag light however keeps lighting up. I believe that there is another issue going on that has not been addressed. In addition, the paint coating on the car is coming off, fading, and all with significant damage to the overall quality of the car. I see paint coming off from similar vehicles in my area. I believe that both the air bags and paint should be addressed. Updated 11/24/2014

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 022011

Accord

I have been complaining to Honda for over 3 years about the SRS module system. I have taken my car to about 2 to 3 different Honda dealers. They offered to replace a sensor and some other parts related to this system for $600 but they do not guaranteed those fixing will solve the SRS problem plus they also are not sure if in a case of an accident the air bag will deploy or work right. Why paid for this repair went they can't guaranteed it will work. Honda is very missleading. They should be order to issue a recall on this SRS system. What could be more of a safety issue than this problem. Are they waiting for people to get hurt due to not deployment of the air bags due to SRS system issues. Other car companies are order to do recalls on brakes failure, seat belts, Honda is not being an honest customer oriented company.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Jan 082012

Accord

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the contact hit the curb and the passenger's side air bag deployed. There were no injuries. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer stated that the seat and air bag needed to be replaced. The dealer stated the manufacturer was not responsible for the repairs. The failure mileage was 168,000. The VIN was not available.

- Branford, CT, USA

Sep 202013

Accord

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact was driving approximately 60 mph and crashed into another vehicle. The air bag deployed and the chemical in the air bag severely burned the contact's right hand. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed and the vehicle was towed to an auto body shop. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 181,000.

- Jefferson, MD, USA

Sep 132013

Accord

On September 16, 2013, my husband was involved in a car accident in which he suffered a vision loss. Though it is temporary and reversible, it has completely changed our lives. Per doctors' report, this vision loss was direct impact of violent rocking of his head. After ensuring my husband was in a stabilized condition after this life threatening event, I started putting pieces together to solve this puzzle. When I looked at the photos of the car after the accident (posted here: sdrv.ms/1gsaadg), I was shocked to see that the passenger side airbag was deployed, while driver side airbag did not deploy! when the accident occurred he was wearing the sit belt (tied to the seat by seat belt, he was tied on the stomach and to the chest). That seat belt may have been crucial in saving his life. However, the driver side airbag never deployed. This caused violent rocking of his head resulting into sever simultaneous hemorrhage of both eyes and ultimately leading up to total loss of his vision. I am confident that had the driver side airbag deployed as expected, he would have been in a much better condition. I trusted Honda vehicles and preferred those for my young kids. We selected Honda for its commitment to safety, reliability and quality. However, this airbag deployment malfunction is leaving troubling thoughts with me, my husband, my family and friends. We do not want to see any other person reliving such a traumatic experience. Therefore, I would like Honda motor company to look into this aspect and check our car to find out any defects of malfunction in airbag deployment.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 082012

Accord

On-coming vehicle crossed center line hitting right front of Honda Accord. Both driver and passenger side airbags deployed. However, the driver side airbag inflator ruptured and propelled the metal disk into the driver's head, fracturing her skull. The vehicle may have been subject to NHTSA recall campaigns 08V593, 09V259 and 11V260 but never repaired. The Honda was bought used in early 2012. Honda was notified and settled pre-suit with injured driver. Information supplied by legal counsel for injured driver.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 152008

Accord

The transmission in my Honda Accord 2001 has been faulty for at least 2 years now. There was a recall on the transmission but the recall expired according to Honda. There is no option but to fix the transmission if it blows and that's basically what I'm waiting for. Honda has not guaranteed that if the transmission is fixed, it will not happen again. I took my car into a Honda dealership twice for airbag recalls and my airbag light is still lit on my dashboard. Overall, I feel as if these issues are safety hazards and I feel stuck in a horrible situation with no help from the manufacture.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 272011

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission slips and clunks when shifting from first to second gear. SRS light illuminated on dash. Side airbag light illuminates intermittently. The consumer stated the traction control light came on the dash, stating it had turned off. The consumer stated he didn't think much of it at first, but then he noticed when the brake pedal was pressed hard to the floor a even relatively low speeds, the brakes didn't respond as they hosuld.; basically the brakes were not effecgtive when having to stop suddenly. The consumer was informed the brake lights were staying on all the time, as he was driving, but would go out, when the brake pedal was pressed. Also, when the traction control light illuminated on the dash and the cruise control would not engage. The repair shop found a caode of C0277 brake pedal position sensor defective. They replaced the brake pedal sensor. Within a couple of days, after the repair, the problem occurred again, which then resulted in an accident. The consumer stated he was driving at a low speed, and the person in front of him stopped suddenly and he stated he should have been able to stop, but the brakes malfunctioned and he rear ended another vehicle. The consumer returned to the repair shop, to see why the brake lights were staying on. The repiar shop found a bad brake light switch. They replaced the switch and recalibrated the brake pedal position sensor. They also found an internal fault within the control module and replaced it. After he left the repair shop, about a mile down the road, the problem happened again. The repair shop found a a bad connection from the ebcm to the brake light switch.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Sep 012012

Accord 6-cyl

2001 Honda Accord V6. Consumer writes in regards to a faulty opds sensor that trigger SRS. The consumer stated two months after the vehicle was purchased, the air bag light illuminated. He immediately took the vehicle to the dealer, where he was informed Honda published a service bulletin on Feb 5, 2088 regarding a warranty extension for a faulty opds sensor. They refused to fix the problem because the vehicle was older than 10 years old, but met the criteria which was less than 150,000. A

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 012011

Accord 4-cyl

The SRS light came on in my Accord, make a long story short I took it to the dealer and they run a test on it. Told me that if it was the air-bag that was causing the light to come on then it would be fixed at no cost due to a safety malfunction, they run the test and it came back that it was the wires leading to the air bag but not the actual bag itself having the problem. But they told me that if the SRS light was on at all the air bags would not deploy at all. So is that not a safety issue as well?

- East Bend , NC, USA

Mar 082012

Accord 6-cyl

Traveling on 4-lane highway when another vehicle exited a parking lot at a high rate of speed, striking the right front of the 2001 Honda Accord. Both driver and passenger side airbags deployed. However, the airbag inflater ruptured, striking the driver in the head, fracturing her skull. Airbag inflater may be subject to recalls 08V593, 09V259, and/or 11V260. Current vehicle owner is third owner of this vehicle. (this submission is by legal counsel for injured driver.)..updated 09-19-12 updated 09/21/2012

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 152012

Accord 4-cyl

Safety restraint system (SRS) light came on. Took it to dealer. Code 15-3 opds asy. They reset code as per diag. Sheet. They told me to drive it and if it recodes then I will need to have the opds asy replaced. The SRS light did come back on. I have search the internet and have seen many, many Honda owners complain of this same problem. It is a very expensive part to replace (approx $700 for the part alone). Obviously this is a manufacturing problem with the way the car was made. Honda owners should not have to pay to have this fixed if it is a chronic problem with a lot of Honda cars.

- Satellite Beach, FL, USA

Jul 202012

Accord

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While parked, the contact noticed that the SRS light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The technician stated that the front driver's seat belt buckle would have to be replaced. After the repair, the SRS warning light continued to illuminate. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer a second time. The technician inspected the vehicle and reset the warning light. The SRS warning light illuminated again. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 152,800.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Sep 152011

Accord

I don't know who to contact. I had a air bag re-call. I took into Honda dealership to repair. Im physically disabled and in a lot of physical pain. It took them a long time just to take me over to shop and wait and then take me to house and then I had to get picked up and wait on car again etc. The air bag light was off but after a short period of time the air bag light came back on again. I cant physically go through that again. I will contact the ada but do you have any ideas as they didn't fix the problem. This is not my fault and I shouldn't suffer for their mistake. Its the same light and in the same spot. Thank you

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 312012

Accord 4-cyl

While operating my vehicle on the highway the driver side air bag deployed striking me in my left arm causing pain and bruising, not to mention a bit of panic. The vehicle was not involved in a collision.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA