Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2001 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 7 of 11)

Jan 132009

My son was in an accident where he lost control of his 01 Honda Accord and hit a tree. The car is totaled. Though there is all of this damage the air bags did not deploy. He hit the tree going about 25 mph after sliding on ice.

- Simpson, WV, USA

Jun 012008

SRS light on, based on the information available to me I believe the airbags will fail to deploy when the SRS light is illuminated. Honda does not cover the repair as they feel airbags are a secondary safety feature, however the fact that it had airbags and a good safety rating played a large part in my decision to purchase the 2001 Accord. If manufacturers are going to exploit positive safety reviews I feel they should cover them for the life of the vehicle so long as the fault is detected by a manufacturer installed on board computer, I.e. SRS light on. My wife and two kids are the primary occupants of this vehicle, it is important to me that the safety features are functional.

- Sandy, UT, USA

Nov 112008

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While driving 40 mph, the front passenger door air bag deployed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they advised the contact to call the insurance company. The insurance company investigated the failure, but could not determine the reason for the deployment. A report was filed with the manufacturer and they stated that the 2001 Accord was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 07V001000 (air bags:frontal:sensor/control module); therefore, they would not assist with the repair. The failure mileage was 81,000 and current mileage was 82,000.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Nov 112008

Accord 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While driving 40 mph, the passenger side air bag deployed and damaged the entire passenger seat. There was no impact to cause the deployment. The contact was uninjured, but very shaken up. The dealer advised her to call the insurance company and warned her of the $500 deductible she would have to pay because it was considered a crash. The contact stated that the failure was a manufacturer defect because the air bag deployed on its own without any other vehicle involvement. The dealer also advised her to call the manufacturer and inform them of the issue. The failure mileage was 83,424. Updated 12/15/08. The driver side sseat belt buckle was defective and had to be replaced. Updated 12/15/08.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Apr 222007

I have a 2001 Honda Accord ex-LV6, bought used in 2002. 3 months after purchase SRS light comes on. Brought to silko Honda, they reset light. Light came back on. Said they had to have car for 3 days to really find problem. Left car for 3 days, repair order ststes installed S/O control unit, reset light, came back on. Then ordered and installed SRS unit, reset and light is still on. They then traced wires to the control unit and found some broken wires. Fixed wires. Light out for 11 months and SRS light pops up again!brought back to dealer and they fixed sam for about 4 years. 8 months ago SRS light is on again!! im running out of patience with incompetent mechanics and money!

- Carver, MA, USA

Sep 012008

I have a 2001 Honda Accord, 2 years ago the SRS light came on and stayed on. I took the car to the dealer and they charged me $118 to reset it. This year, September 2008 the light came on again and has stayed on. It is a known problem with Honda dealer, yet they will not cover the cost of getting this fixed. Now my passenger airbag will not deploy. I have seen many complaints about this same problem. It should be covered by the manufacturer, obviously it is a defect.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Jul 142007

After starting my 2001 Honda Accord the SRS light came on and will not stay off. This light indicates that the air bags will not deploy in a major collision. I went to my dealer and spoke with the maintenance supervisor and he indicated that this was a very common problem with this model of automobile. He also said that Honda does not have a recall or extended warranty for this problem. Reading the internet chat rooms shows that there are hundreds of people with this same problem. In fact many owners indicated that after they were involved in a collision their airbags never did deploy even after the SRS light was reset by their dealer. The cost of the repair, for me, will be from $1000 to $1500. I am a senior citizen and cannot afford to have this repaired at this time. I understand that the seat belts have a lifetime warranty but not the airbags. I feel the airbags should be treated the same as the seat belts and have the same warranty. At the very least Honda should recognize this problem they have with this model and give the owners an extended warranty to cover these repairs. This is a major problem and should be addressed as there are many owners that are driving these defective Honda Accord and if involved in a collision their Honda's airbags will not inflate. Please look into this and have Honda take responsibility for this problem and give some relief to all the owners of this model automobile.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jan 042008

Several months ago the SRS light came on in my 2001 Honda Accord for no reason. I was not in an accident and there were no other reasons for the light to come on. Now I don't have airbags so I hope that I am not in an accident in the future. I was told it would cost about $800 to fix this problem.

- Athens, GA, USA

May 182007

Accord 6-cyl

Own a Honda 2001 Accord exl V6, bought used at Honda dealer with 27,000 miles. After 1 month SRS warning light comes on brought back to dealer they replaced sensor, lasted for 11 months, light on again, dealer said some wires were shorted would definitely not come on again, at 109,000 miles lights on again !

- Carver, MA, USA

Sep 022008

2001 Accord LX has 59,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago the SRS light came on for no reason. Did some research and discovered this is a very common problem with these cars. The airbags will not deploy while this light is on. Serious safety issue.

- Carson, WA, USA

Sep 152008

I have had my 2001 Honda Accord for quite a few years. Every now and then, it seems if I put something on the passenger seat or just starting and driving off the SRS light comes on. I have taken it to the dealership for resets quite a few times but the problem still occurs. Was there ever a recall for the SRS since it will not deploy air bags while the light is on" can I get this fixed through a recall or do I need to pay for the negligence by Honda manufacturer" thank you

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Oct 062007

I own 2 Honda (Accord ex 1996, Accord LX 2001) on both of them and for no obvious reason the SRS (airbag) light started coming on and off sporadically until lately stated on for ever. The airbag on both cars has never been deployed. The dealer charge $90 per vehicle just for diagnosing the problem.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 272008

SRS light (supplemental safety restraints...air bags) stays on all the time on my 2001 Honda Accord. Air bags should be warranted for life of car, I would think, but Honda dealers keep blowing me off. I see on internet that many other 2001 Honda have had same problem.

- Salem, OR, USA

Feb 072008

SRS light came on for no reason.

- Denton, TX, USA

Jun 132008

SRS light came up recently. Diagnostics test showed that there is some issue with the airbags and they won't be deployed correctly. So I have to replace them and its not covered by Honda warranty. I have to replace this for safety reasons and this is going to cost me a lot of money.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jun 212008

2001 Honda Accord SRS light remains on. Service dept. Said car is "safe" to drive. "good news is that the airbags won't deploy when you are driving around. The bad news is that the airbags won't deploy in an accident." My research shows that Honda is not concerned about consumers with this issue. There is no type of warranty coverage and it is a very expensive fix with marginal results (likely to recur). I should think that seat belts and airbags would have a lifetime warranty.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Apr 152008

I have had my 2001 Honda Accord for about 7 years and only recently had problems with it. First, my alarm system has been malfunctioning. The alarm will go off every so often for no reason, especially at night disturbing the neighborhood. I have to go run to the window to try to turn off the alarm. I took it to the dealer to have a $100 diagnostic test only to tell me that my alarm system was the problem (something I already knew), and it would cost another $300 to fix. Second, the SRS light came on and will not come off. I took my car to the dealer and it would cost $100 for a diagnostic test, which will probably tell me what I already know, and probably cost another couple hundred to fix. I have researched this problem and have found many complaints regarding this issue. This problem needs to be addressed, especially for the safety of the consumers. There should be a recall for this car.

- Chicagp, IL, USA

Apr 282008

Accord 4-cyl

My SRS light has been on since approximately June 2006. I haven't had any problems getting an inspection during this time until now. I took my car in to have it inspected and failed due to SRS light. I took it to the dealership that I bought it from in September of 2003 and they said it would cost $773 to repair the SRS control module. They charged me $110 for the diagnosis, which would go to the cost of repairs if I decided to have it done. Honda has issued tsb's on this issue, but it does not cover my VIN number nor the part that needs to be replaced. Something is terribly wrong with Honda's SRS performance as I have seen thousands of complaints on various websites regarding different problems with the SRS light. This is a severely dangerous problem that needs to be resolved.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 102007

Accord 6-cyl

SRS light keeps coming on.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 092007

Accord 4-cyl

SRS light illuminated for no apparent reason. Have had the light reset and it came on soon thereafter. Have read numerous complaints with similar descriptions and no resulting action or remedy from manufacturer. This should be unacceptable as this is safety equipment and could potentially threaten the lives of driver and occupants.

- Nashville, TN, USA