CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2001 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 8 of 12)

Jun 102007

Accord 6-cyl

SRS light keeps coming on.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 092007

Accord 4-cyl

SRS light illuminated for no apparent reason. Have had the light reset and it came on soon thereafter. Have read numerous complaints with similar descriptions and no resulting action or remedy from manufacturer. This should be unacceptable as this is safety equipment and could potentially threaten the lives of driver and occupants.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 262007

Accord 4-cyl

On 26th October 2007, Friday, it was raining heavily in New Jersey. When I arrived at work, the car was fine. When I started back home, the vehicle's SRS light was permanently on. It still is after 4 days. Researching, I found out that this is a common occurrence in this model year of this vehicle and is very expensive to fix. Kindly take action to make sure this isn't an expensive repair for thousands of consumers given the popularity of this vehicle model. Thank you. Please see this page - www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2001/seat_belts_air_bags/srs_light_keeps_coming_on.shtml for tales of similar failure.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Sep 072007

Accord

Honda Accord 2001 LX, 40000 miles. 1. since two months ago, SRS light is constantly on. 2. I understand that while SRS light is 'on', driver airbag will not deploy. 3. I was told by the Honda dealership that this car is not covered under an extended warranty and that I will be responsible for inspection and repair of this problem. I found out that this particular problem is a common one among Honda owners. It should not cost owners to inspect and repair a defect that Honda is responsible for (and already aware).

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Jun 012007

Accord 6-cyl

I have a 2001 Honda Accord ex V6 and a 2003 Honda Pilot. Both vehicles have the SRS light on all the time. I have been told that hand radio interference and cell phones can trigger the SRS light to go on making the SRS inoperable. My wife carries a hand radio and drives both vehicles. We both have cell phones. I have researched this and this seems to be a big problem with Honda. I believe that Honda should repair this at no cost to me.

- Canton, OH, USA

Aug 142007

Accord 4-cyl

SRS light is on. I have been told Honda Accord 2001 will activate the SRS light by the use of cell phone or laptop preventing the air bags from deploying in case of a accident. I the light is on the system will not respond in case of a accident. I consider this a safety issue between dead Y live. A recall should be done by Honda to correct all cars affected. I really don't have $700 dollars to get this fix.

- Erie, PA, USA

Jan 142007

Accord 4-cyl

Honda Accord 2001. SRS indicator light on for months now with no apparent trigger (no accidents, previous airbag deployment). Brought to Honda dealer - charged $90 diagnostics which resulted that airbag control unit was broken. Replaced at outside mechanic with original Honda parts for $400, however SRS light remained on despite correcting stated diagnostic problem. Argued to return part because problem was not resolved, which was finally done, but dealership states that needs another $90 diagnostic to find the problem again - back to square one. Concerned with safety issue of airbags not deployed in case of an accident, which appears to have occurred to other consumers. Very concerned with regards Honda company in their lack of concern with their product and safety of their consumers!

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Dec 062006

Accord

My son had an accident while driving my 2001 Honda Accord. The driver airbag did not deploy, but the passenger airbag did deploy, even though there was not a passenger in the vehicle. Also, the seat belts locked up. The accident was on 12-2-06 and I have tried two different dealerships to find out why the driver airbag did not deploy. They will not give me an explaination and they will not fix the seatbelts until I replace the airbags, which I cannot afford.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Apr 062001

Accord 4-cyl

The SRS light has been coming on since I bought the car new in 2001. It was fixed several times covered under warranty and once by some recall. Now I don't have a warranty and it has been on for about 8 months and Honda wants to charge me to fix it.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 262007

Accord 4-cyl

The SRS light turned on last week at 75000 miles, and I know that it is related to the airbag restraint system. My husband had the same problem couple of years ago, and the dealer told him that the use of cellophane may have caused the system to malfunction. The dealer fixed it for free because the car was still under the 36000 mile warranty. After doing some investigation I found out that this problem was very common for the 2001 models. I also found out that this problem was very costly and was no longer under warranty. I got into a car accident in March 2007, the front end of my car slid into a snow bank, and I am thankful that the damage was not major. The air bags never deployed. The SRS light turned on a couple of weeks after the accident, and I was not sure if I ever had any protection at the time of the accident, since the airbags never deployed. Now every time I get into my car I am very nervous because my life behind the wheel of this Honda was at stake. I do not have any money to buy another car or fix get the current issue. Honda should issue a recall on this!! peoples lives were in danger when they were on the road, and this should not be taken lightly by anyone. I am a mother, a wife, a sister, and a daughter. My life has value. Please look into this. Thank you.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Aug 012004

Accord 4-cyl

One day, my SRS check light came on randomly. I researched it on the internet to see what the problem may be, and I was informed that they're one of the very common problems associated with the 6th generation Accord, that are caused by no real problems. Honda corporation is not willing to offer a remedy about the problem, even though it involves safety issues (airbags will not deploy when the SRS light is illuminated). I have to take it to the dealer now and pay $80+, just to have it checked out. If my SRS needs to be replaced, as with most cases experienced by other Accord owners, it will be another $700+ for replacement.. thank you for your time and attention.

- Londonderry, NH, USA

Feb 232007

Accord 6-cyl

The Honda Accord entered a turn lane and began decreasing speed due to a red traffic light when at the same time a truck driven by a teenage boy excessively accelerated while exiting a gas station and spun out of control. The truck crashed into the Honda Accord causing major damage to the front and driver side/front of car. The radiator and engine were pushed back toward the driver. The car could not be driven following the accident. None of the air bags deployed. The estimated speed of the Honda at the time of the collision was 20 - 25 mph. The car is at the dealership awaiting insurance review to determine if can be repaired.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 012006

Accord 6-cyl

My Honda 2001 Accord ex starts to show SRS light on. Searching the internet, many people have the same problem for no apparent reason. This is a big safety issue. The car is under 60000 miles. Honda should have a recall on this car.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 112006

Accord

I have a 2001 Honda Accord. My SRS light has been on and my horn does not work. According to NHTSA defect investigation #PE05043, "in March 2006, Honda issued a service bulletin (06-009) to extend the warranty on SRS illumination and opds issues to 10 years or 150,000 miles " my current mileage is 86,000 miles and we have owned the vehicle for less than 10 years. I did not receive a notification letter and when I called Honda sf today to inquire, they told me that the service was not covered under warranty. If my vehicle meets the criteria specified in your report, why is the dealership not honoring their warranty extension" today, the maintenance dept at sf Honda suggested that the horn was connected to the airbag electronic sensors and that if I wanted to fix the problem, that no part of service would be covered under warranty. I understand that in investigation #PE05043, you have not tested to see if this defect is a valid safety issue. Are there any current tests that compare the safety standards between having a functioning airbag and seat belt verses just a functioning seat belt" I don't think it's right that I should pay $1500 to fix this. I should not worry about getting into a crash especially if the car should still be covered under the warranty extension. Anyway, to sum it up. 1. I want Honda to honor the warranty extension per your investigation and I want Honda to repair my vehicle for free. 2. I want you to investigate to find out why Honda is not honoring the warranty extension for myself and possibly for other people. 3. I want you to investigate the safety implications of this faulty SRS system and take appropriate action to prevent serious injury to current Honda owners. Thank you for your time and commitment to safety.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 192006

Accord 4-cyl

SRS light comes 'on" already had them reset once by the dealer, who will charge me again $80 to perform an ongoing problem to 2001 homda Accord's. when this light is "on" it will disable the air bag system.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jun 122001

Accord

I had my car serviced for a 30,000 service, brake pads replaced, and car detailed (washed, waxed, etc). When I went to pick my car up, the SRS light was on. I pointed it out, they said 'oh - something must have gotten wet' - they took the car back into the service area, reset the SRS light, and pulled the car up front. The next time I washed the car my self (open hose only, no 'pressure') the SRS light came on again. I've seen many SRS light issues on the Accord listed via google searches...

- N Hollywood, CA, USA

Aug 062004

Accord 6-cyl

2001 Accord has had SRS light replaced and brakes. SRS light continued to illuminate after being replaced. The dealer replaced several parts on the vehicle. The air bag light has not illuminated since Feb 2006 since the front shoulder belt buckle was replaced.. the consumer was only reimbursed $248.40 of the $835.42 repairs made to vehicle. The consumer wanted to know how did the manufacturer come up with that figure for reimbursement. Updated 06/15/06.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 152006

Accord 6-cyl

My 2001 Accord ex constantly displays an illuminated SRS light on the dashboard. The system has been checked several times and I have been told there is no problem with it. Rather, I'm told that it is sensitive to cell phones, driver positioning, etc. And other wise need not be repaired. In the meantime, the air bags are deactivated in a vehicle that I purchased to provide safety for my daughter who recently applied for her driver's license. I found roughly 60 complaints about this same issue on this website. People like myself are very concerned and spending a considerable amount of time and money on a safety issue that should be considered a warranty matter. I don't understand why Honda is not being held accountable for this obvious defect.

- Westminster, MD, USA

May 102006

Accord 6-cyl

: the contact stated the airbag light illuminated intermittently while the vehicle was running. No other indicators were present at the time of illumination. The dealer was unable to duplicate the problem, but the dealer replaced the entire driver seat belt in a unsuccessful attempt to remedy the problem. Updated 5/23/2006 -

- Pitman, NJ, USA

Jun 152005

Accord 6-cyl

My SRS air bag light came on about a year ago. I though it was a glitch because it happened at around 100000 miles. Someone told me recently that my air bags would not deploy with this light on so I have made an appointment to get it looked and have been told the airbag system may have to be replaced!!!!!!!!! I got online to research and have found that this is happening on many many 2001 Accord. This is serious, why isn't it being recalled!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is peoples lives you are dealing with. Most people can't afford to spend that kind of money for something that is obviously a manufacturer error. But how can you not fix it when most people by Honda because they are safe!

- Hernando, MS, USA