CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2001 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Jul 292016

Accord

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact stated that another vehicle crashed in the passenger side of the vehicle. The air bags deployed with metal fragments discharging from the inflator. The contact sustained an eye injury that required medical attention and resulted in the contact losing the eye. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed. The vehicle was inspected by the manufacturer and takata; however, the diagnosis was unknown. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V320000 (air bags). The failure mileage was 180,969.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Aug 012016

Accord

Takata recall. The takata recall was fixed in Dec 2015. The SRS light came on constantly in July/Aug 2016. Called Honda and they stated there were no recalls or warranty service on this item - not related to the takata recall. This is not an isolated incident - there appear to be multiple instances of the same issue (SRS light illuminates following takata recall repair) in the ntsb complaint database and other complaints found through internet searches. Honda should extend this warranty when related to airbag issues since it is a safety issue - the airbags will not work when SRS system fails. They seem to have a lot of problems related to airbags.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Oct 032016

Accord

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the SRS warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 15V320000 (air bags), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the SRS warning indicator remained illuminated immediately after the recall repair. The dealer stated that it would be an additional cost to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Oct 032016

Accord

Takata recall" - side airbag light on dashboard has been going on/off while driving. I don't see a specific recall for this airbag; has one been listed" vehicle has not be in an accident; low mileage (36,000) as it was driven by an elderly relative in Florida before I purchased one year ago. Used mostly for local trips; minimal highway driving.

- River Vale, NJ, USA

Sep 042016

Accord

Takata recall, NHTSA recall number: 15V-320 after replacing the drivers airbag lop 7521H8 by joyce koons Honda Buick GMC; invoice # 1022132, with 110569 mileage, the SRS indication is on with 122000 mileage now.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Sep 202016

Accord

The contact owned a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact's vehicle crashed head on into another vehicle. The air bags deployed, which caused the passenger to sustain a large cut to the left side of the forehead and right side of the head. The passenger side seat belt failed to restrain the passenger. Medical attention was required. In addition, the dashboard split in half. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a tow lot. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Mar 102016

Accord

Takata airbags-- spring dealer advised to call Honda directly at 888-234-2138 to have vehicle towed. I phoned 8/26 given case #04977053--they said someone would call back Monday. I called Tuesday 8/30 3X--spoke with elevlyn, gary, coroline, " someone will call you back" I called again today Thursday 9/1 spoke with chris "someone will call you back". every time I call they put me on hold for 15-20 minutes, only to come back and say the person who can authorize the car pick up will call me back. I live in NY, the car is in houston. I will only be in houston next week 9/5 to 9/10. The know this and they don't care. The notice I go says "urgent safety recall notice" airbags have ruptured and killed and injured drivers---why do they want me to drive such vehicle to dealer" do I have to wait to get injured or someone to get killed taking the car to be fixed for Honda to take action" please help me!!! as it is we'll have a rental during our trip- I was no even asking Honda for help paying the rental, since I have to drive the car to the dealer [the car that can kill me] for them to give me a rental.

- Nyc, NY, USA

Aug 012015

Accord

"takata recall" shortly after the recall the SRS light came on dash and has stayed on. Possibly related to air bag, seat sensor or seat buckles. Honda refused warranty service, "not a covered item" suggested replacement of the SRS unit at $800 for the parts. We maintain it's all part of the same safety system and should be covered. After reading on the web it varies from dealer to dealer weather they will cover it or not. We just want whats fair. Please advise. Original owner. Valerie valencia

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Jul 242016

Accord

I had my car taken in for the airbag recall and the SRS light remains on. I also have the check engine light on constantly. I do not believe they fixed my recall completely and believe my vehicle has several other recalled issues at hand. Including the transmission not working properly. The headlight S do not give proper lighting and visibility is horrible at night. The seatbelt on my driver side locks all the time when I try to look over my shoulder. The tcs light sporadically comes on when the road conditions change and I do not feel safe but I don't have the finances to get dealership autoshop work performed. So if I do get into an accident due to these defects being faulty to begin with don't say I didn't try and get help.

- Crystal, MN, USA

Jan 022015

Accord

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V320000 (air bags) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Aptos, CA, USA

Jun 302016

Accord

Takata recall: I have not been notified about the need for a replacement.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jun 062016

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2001 Honda Accord. While driving approximately 40 mph, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The contact's front driver side air bag deployed and a small flame sparked for a few seconds. The flames were not permanent. The contact suffered first and second degree burns to both arms and hands that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage facility. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 122,000. Updated 07/12/16

- Mills River, NC, USA

May 162016

Accord

Takata recall repairs and replacement to my 2001 Honda Accord were effected on 2/22/16. On 5/3/16 I was braking for a red light when I heard a loud pop sound followed by a stinging pain in my left arm. When I turned to look at my arm I noticed the airbag from the left side of my car seat had deployed and was now hanging deflated next to me. The air bag left a red welt, it didn't bruise me and the redness only lasted a couple of days. I called my father and he advised me not to drive the car. We had it towed to our mechanic who advised us to take it back to the dealer. A service manager at long beach Honda looked at the deployed air bag and said the car had been in an accident. We asked him to take a closer look at the vehicle. When he discovered no damage to the body of the car he got down on all fours, looked under the driver's side of car, stood up, and said there were smudges on the undercarriage. When I informed him I didn't run over anything, he said the best he could do was repair the air bag and reset the sensors for about $1,000. We left and contacted Honda and told them what happened. A representative at Honda said he would contact the dealership and authorize an inspection of the vehicle. We dropped the vehicle off on 5/16/16 at 8:30am and they contacted us around 5:00pm that same day and said that they had completed the inspection. The technican said he discovered the front passenger side tire appeared to have been pushed into the tire well at some point and because some screws on the steering arm were newer, repairs had been made. We told him it still didn't explain why one airbag deployed on the opposite side of the car. He said it was because the passenger seat was empty. When we asked why the steering wheel air bag didn't deploy he said the sensors decide which airbags to trigger. We realized all they were looking for was a reason get out of it.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Apr 232016

Accord

Takata recall. Honda has mistakenly labeled our vehicle's airbag recall as completed despite our concern that they have incorrect information. We have lived in austin, tx since June 20th, 2015. Yet, the recall service was supposedly taken place on August 20th, 2015 in lewisville, tx. This is impossible. Lewisville is over 200 miles away from austin and it was recorded as being brought in by a woman whom I have never met or even heard of. After repeated phone calls to american Honda Motors and a "claims case" that produced no results whatsoever the result from Honda's investigation is "we have it marked as completed, sorry. You can pay for an inspection if you want." I find this completely unacceptable and the fact that Honda will not inspect my vehicle's safety is an outrage.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 152016

Accord

Takata recall called Honda headquarter (888) 234-2138 to complain local Honda dealership will not provide loaner car or shuttle service while the air bag being fix. Complained to headquarter 4/15/2016 4:00pm. Headquarter says it's not their problem. Within 10 miles radius these dealerships will not provide any transportation service while air bag is being service, which can take 3-4 hours. 1)bill page Honda 6715 arlington blvd, falls church, va 22042 2)Honda of tysons corner 1580 spring hill rd vienna, va 22182-2205 ( 703) 749-6600 3) browns arlington Honda/ 3920 lee hwy arlington, va 22207-3724 (703) 522-8808 4)rosenthal landmark Honda 5125 duke St alexandria, va 22304-2927 (703) 823-8000 5) rosenthal fairfax Honda 11020 fairfax blvd fairfax, va 22030-5046 (703) 934-8500 6) sheehy Honda 7434 richmond hwy alexandria, va 22306-2301 (703) 660-0100 7) Honda of chantilly 4175 stonecroft boulev chantilly, va 20151 (703) 633-2400

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Apr 042016

Accord

Takata recall Honda called me back in January to notify me of the inflator recall on my car and told me I need to bring it in to be repaired. Since I was working a lot at the time and was carpooling with my brother I took the option to set up an appointment at a later date. I recently got to the point where I need to start driving the car a lot again I called Honda back to set up the appointment. They notified me that the recall was already complete and gave me the number to the location this repair was apparently done. I called them and they told me a different dealer was the one that did the recall. I went back and forth between different dealers and Honda's resolution team multiple times over the next few days before they finally gave me the number to the Honda association. I called them and the lady on the phone told me it was already done. I explained everything that happened and she continued to tell me that the recall was already done in houston (which is about a 4-hour drive from where I live) on January 29th. She told me that there was nothing she could do to help me and continued that it was already done. I am the only one that drives this Honda and definitely did not take it to be repaired, and Honda won't do anything about it. Meanwhile after going back and forth with them the past few weeks I am at the point where I am driving my car with dangerous inflators and can't get the repair work done that was supposed to be offered by Honda, with a new job in frisco (about an hour drive) starting in a few weeks. I told the lady on the phone that I was going to contact the NHTSA next and she said that she would make note of that.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jan 052016

Accord

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. While driving 40 mph, the side air bag deployed without warning or impact. There were no injuries sustained. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 177,035.

- Inglewood, CO, USA

Dec 152015

Accord 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V320000 (air bags). A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries of a fractured sternum, fractured ribs, and abrasions to the legs, which required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 03/10/16 updated 03/16/16

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Dec 032015

Accord

Takata recall. Yesterday went to coggin Honda of orlando Florida answering a recall letter I received from them and from Honda headquater, but service was denied because car did not have original part. I am not the original owener I bought car from local seller who is not longer in business and I was not awared of problem I just mentioned. Car is still on the road, and I am requesting from Honda Honda headquarter to honor the recall in order for me to drive safely.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Nov 202015

Accord

The contact owned a 2001 Honda Accord. While driving 60 mph, the air bag independently deployed. As a result, the vehicle struck the guard rail and caused the passenger side air bag to deploy. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was towed to a salvage yard and deemed destroyed. The collision resulted in one injury; however, no medical attention was required. A police report was filed. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Houston, TX, USA