Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

1. replace with a rebuilt transmission (59 reports)
  3. replace with new transmission (32 reports)
  4. replace/rebuild transmission (8 reports)
  5. dealer fixed under 109k mile warranty extension / goodwill repair (3 reports)
  6. replace with aftermarket transmission (2 reports)
2001 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Sep 282012

Accord LX

The transmission was a bad scare. The shifting started slipping and when I took it to the dealer not only did they tell me it was not covered but that they would charge me 4,000 for the fix. Completely unfair since it is well known that the transmission is a defect of the build of the car and not the customer.

- , Union City, NJ, USA

Nov 202012

Accord EX

I cannot believe this car has 162000 miles and no transmission! I have taken excellent care of this car. There are so many complaints about this car's transmission that I believe it inexcusable that Honda refuses to help me. They said due to the mileage and year of the car there is nothing they can do. I have never had a car with a bad transmission but at 162000 miles it is ridiculous. There are so many complaints of the same problem and I even found a couple websites that said do not buy the Honda Accord EX 2001 model used. "Stay away from it like the plague" This is my 3rd Honda and unless someone from Honda contacts me to let me know that they will do something for me, and I don't mean where I pay thousands of $, it will be my last Honda and I will get to every website, twitter and facebook and make sure as many people as possible know that Honda is no better than any other car out there. I am so disappointed, and now carless

- , Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jun 302012

Accord LX 2.3L 4 cyl

Purchased a 2001 Honda Accord from dealership. I received Honda┬┤s extended warranty for the transmission. In October of 2007 while on the highway transmission started rattling and the car was jerking, transmission D4 light started to blink, the best I could I drove the car to the side of the road and had towed to my mechanic. The mechanic told me that the car needed a new transmission and recommended I contact Honda. The car had 68800 miles. The Honda dealership which I already knew were nothing but a bunch of rip-off artists, charged me $1,464.55 to change the transmission and gave me a useless extended warranty.

This car was used by my wife 95% of the time. In late June, 2012 the transmission started with the same problems at 109900 miles, the new diagnostic is that the car needs a new transmission about 41000 miles later.

My first feeling is that even after having that car for 10 days in 2007 the Honda dealership never changed the transmission, they only repaired the old transmission and sent me on my way.

- , Rosedale, NY, USA

Dec 162009

Accord ES 3.2L V6

Honda repaired while traveling a leaky seal on the tranny at about 65K. We should have known as the problems escalated within the V6 auto tranny Accords, ours was always just over the allowed mileage. This is our third and very probably last Honda sue to the poor quality of the 2001 Accord. Only a free replacement will be an acceptable resolution - especially with all the newer reports of a known defective design with the more powerful V6.

- , Auburn, AL, USA

Sep 202012

Accord EX Coupe V4

click to see larger images

transmission failure

Yesterday (September 20, 2012), my 2001 Honda Accord EX Coupe experienced complete transmission failure. I was driving along when the D4 indicator on the instrument panel began to flash. Within a minute my transmission started growling and racing through gears without engaging. I was able to limp it about 2 miles to a parking lot and get it safely off the road. It would drive in reverse, but not in any forward gear. This morning I had it towed to my local dealership where I purchased it 11 years ago. After a few hours of waiting, my service advisor called to give me the bad news. The transmission would need to be replaced at an out-of-pocket cost of more than $3,800.

Here's the funny part. In 2006, with around 77,000 miles on my car, I had the same issue with my transmission. When I took it to the dealership, they replaced the transmission at no cost to me because a higher than normal number of automatic transmissions in the 2001 Accord had problems due to defects in material and workmanship. In the six years since the last transmission was installed, my car was in storage for two years. I have just over 115,000 miles on it now. That's less than 40,000 miles since the last time I had to get a new transmission. That seems fishy to me.

I called Honda Customer Service today and explained my plight to a nice man named Eric. I asked if I was eligible for one of those "Goodwill Repairs" I've heard so much about. He put me on hold for a while so he could speak to his "manager". When he came back he told me that I was ineligible for any financial reparations because the first replacement transmission was considered my Goodwill Repair. This leaves me in a position where I owe nearly $4000 to repair a part that Honda has admitted was defective.

I have attached a letter issued by Honda's Automobile Division in the Winter of 2002, titled "Automatic Transmission Warranty Extension". It extends the vehicle's 3-year, 36,000-mile limited warranty out to 7-years or 100,000-miles. The letter details the very symptoms I experienced with my car in the moments before it stopped driving, both in 2006 and 2012.

I'm aware that I've exceeded 7 years and 100,000 miles with the vehicle itself. However, neither of the transmissions made it close to that far. The first went 5 years/77,000 miles and the second went 6 years/40,000 miles.

- , Madison, WI, USA

Sep 132012

Accord EX 3.2L V6

Transission failed again today on my 2001 Accord V6(under 160,000 miles). Would not even drive . I missed a half day of work , was stuck on a busy street for 45minutes waiting for a tow truck finally got it to the dealer to hear more bad news.Over the years Honda has taken care of the cost the last FOUR times i have brought it in for transmission problems Last time being in 2008 but now I'm being told its going to cost over$4300.00 to fix it. Does this fall under the 2001 lemon law? I take my car in for scheduled maintenance . Drive it properly nothing i could have done to avoid this. I love my car my , my Honda advisor is great and know he is only doing his job but i don't feel i don't have to pay $4300 for a car that is worth just a couple thousand more than the repair cost of a transmission. I cant afford to fix it and cant afford a new car. I just want my car fixed at a fair price. Is there anything i can do ? I got the number for Honda corporation. And heard of something called Good Will repair.What steps do i have to do to get Honda to help?

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jul 232012

Accord LX

The 2001 Honda Accord LX that I own has died! The transmission that I had rebuilt is now on its second year. I expected it to happen eventually but the timing is terribly inconvenient. I am not sure if there is any help that I can receive from Honda customer service.I always see these cars on the road and I need to fin out if it is worth anything in its current state.

- , Union City, GA, USA

Jun 062010

Accord LX

I purchased a 2001 Honda Accord LX 2007. Three years later, the transmission began slipping. It was clear that it would need to be replaced or rebuilt. As I bought the cars as is without any warranty. I had it rebuilt and the total cost was $1,889.00. Of course, only warranty I got was for a year or 12,000 miles.

- , Union City, GA, USA

Mar 082012

Accord EX 3.2L

We had the torque conve4rter replaced after hondas 2006 class action. for free. and now the trans is going again...albeit 150k miles later, the car has 248k on it as i speak. i wont shift into 3rd or overdrive. I'll be going with toyota from now on. Im just glad we only initially spent 10k on the car used, private sale, and got honda to do the first fix. Like most corporations, they are out to please themselves first. Dont you just love living in the Corporate States of America !

- , Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Mar 192012

Accord EX V6

Unsure if this is a verifiable complaint as the last time i remember having a transmission issue on a car was a 1977 monte carlo after about 15K miles. Also, i owned a 1991 Mercedes 300se with a little over 220K miles and it needed transmission repair/rebuild.

What i can say is that this is a 2001 and driven by a woman that is not happy unless she is going mach 5 with her hair on fire. Given that and the fact that the accord is a little car with a monster Vtec 6 engine, i feel lucky that it lasted 188K miles.

Is it annoying that the transmission needs repair? yes.

I look at it this way, i had a chevy with tranny issues after 15K miles and i have had a 1989 accord with over 350K miles (when we donated it in 2001) and no tranny or engine issues (looking back with my 20/20 vision, i should have kept that car).

- , Spring Grove, IL, USA

Oct 192010

Accord EX V6

BOY DId I get taken retired And broke with a junk car ! HONDA TRANIE MY son was given my ford focus he just laughs He has no problems.

- , Howell, MI, USA

Mar 222012

Accord LX V6

Not acceptable for the transmition to fail. We always spend a lot of money

for the maintenance of the car. It seems there were a lot of recalls for this

problem for this particular year and actually Honda was sued and the case was

settled without argument from honda with million of dollars. It is in the internet

and we expect to be reimbursed for the cost of fixing this transmittion problem.

- , Silver Spring, MD, USA

Dec 302010

Accord EX 2.0L V4

Was told that all Hondas out of Ohio had very poor quality including minivans, cars. etc.

The AAMCO transmission shop said they have made a fortune off of failed Honda transmissions.

- , St. Charles, MO, USA

Feb 072012

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I bought this car used, as a certified, pre-owned vehicle from an Acura dealership in Scottsdale. I was told it had undergone regular maintenance and recently had the timing belt replaced. When i drove the car off the lot i noticed the transmission was a bit sticky from the 1st to 2nd gear, but it wasnt too bad as long as i took it easy. i figured the car was old, and after i got it serviced (new oil, tranny fluid, etc) the problem wasn't as noticable. about 6 months later, (yesturday) i was going to class and inmid acceleration there was a huge crash and the check engine light came on, along with the D4 gear, which started blinking. I was able to drive it to the a nearby Honda service place and they said i would need a new transmission, costing upwards of $4,500 dollars. How in the hell was this a certified vehicle? It seems obvious that someone along the lines of inspection ignored the problem, i dont know much about cars and could not have predicted what was wrong, and now im faced with paying more than half of what the car is worth. how is this possible and who do i look to for financial relief? this was not my fault and im very angry that any dealership would let this happen.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 242002

Accord DX 4 cyl

I started hearing a noise in the front end that increased when doing 30 MPH. The noise increased the faster I drove, but when the throttle was release the noise was not as loud. The transmission was replaced at 24,970 miles

- , Portland, OR, USA

Nov 162011

Accord EX

I noticed a few years ago when it was still under extended warranty, a slight clunk when putting into a gear after being parked and started up. Had Honda dealer check out tranny for free and they said no problem with tranny. It only did this occasionally but when it went out it was all of a sudden one day I started and when I put in any gear it would only go after applying much acceleration. Engine light came on. On mechanic tester threw some tranny codes. I see on the bill Torch converter, solenoid and some called M W/S that were the expensive itemized parts on the bill. I feel lucky my tranny held up that long. I have 2 year or 24k mile warranty from Kennedy Transmission.

- , Warren, MI, USA

Dec 022011

Accord EX 2.3L

I sold my 96 accord with 170000 miles on it for a 2001 FL car no rust with 47000. I thought i was getting another great car that i could drive for years.... all i got was a shiny POS that now is going to cost my 1,400-3,900 for a used or Reman trans. I should have just kept the 96 or have done more research.

- , Williston, VT, USA

Nov 212011

Accord LX 2.3L 4 cyl

I purchased this 2001 Honda Accord in 2008 from Montano Acura dealership in Albuquerque, N.M. In November 2011, my transmission started slipping and now cannot be driven at all-transmission needs replacing at a cost of $4,000.00!

- , Albuquerque, N.M, USA

Nov 152011

Accord EX V6

I'm very disappointed with Honda customer service skill on handling my situation...I rarely used my car as you can tell for a 2001 v6 Accord with ONLY 64000 to it.. TRANSMISSION had to be replaced..I had called Honda corp to see if they can help me out with this situation..They denied me right away because my car is over the 10 warranty with no consideration at all that my car is in mint condition....UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I knew from the start when my case was assign to this person they already judge my case already saying my car was 10 years old..MEANING "DENIED" ..What am I supposed to do with an excellent car with a bad transmission???? Is it worth fixing it or junking it...I'm sorry to say that I will not buy another Honda from the way they treated me...My family and friends was applauded by the customer service skill the way it was handled......

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Feb 102011

Accord EX 4 cyl

Where it asked for me to describe the problem i pretty much needed to check them ass but it would only let me select one so i selected the tranny failure. I am currently in the market for a new vehicle and honda was and i do mean WAS my preferred choice untill this problem arose. I am just an average joe with a family to support and cannot afford the costly repair my tranny needs and i want honda to make their wrong right by fixing it. Untill honda contacts me with a a solution to my problem i will not buy another honda and will make sure that everyone i know will not either. So I leave this in their hands.

- , Pelahatchie, MS, USA