Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

2002 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Sep 152012

Accord 4-cyl

I have been the single owner for this car since December 2001. Car has 103500 miles on it and has been well maintained. Vehicle started experiencing jerks when upshifting from 1st to 2nd gears. Took it to the dealer who says it will cost $4600 and I would have to pay $3100. There should be a recall as too many people are reporting the same problem.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 132012

Accord 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway and my transmission starting slippin and was sticking at 3000rpm's. I had brought the car to the Honda dealer where I was told "it is still safe to drive, I dont need to replace the transmission at the time and to drive the car until transmission no longer works". I took the car home and had to jump on the highway, as soon as I did this the cars transmission would not shift and left me stranded with my children. I got the car home and then had a mechanic from our area look at the car and he immediatly had told me that there has been problems with the transmissions for this car and Honda should never have told me it was safe to drive. I had to spend $2400 on a new transmission. Honda needs to take care of this bill.

- Prospect Heights, IL, USA

Jun 152012

Accord 4-cyl

Lost power and unable to safely control car. Pulled into intersection and lost power in front of on-coming traffic. Defective transmission, cars is unable to shift, may lose power or accelerate suddenly. Well documented problem in Honda transmission, unsafe to drive as power is unreliable and transmission can fail at any moment. Honda already previously named in class action lawsuit, problems remain. Honda refuses to acknowledge or repair. Ntsb needs to order a recall for the safety of drivers and passengers.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Jun 102009

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. While driving approximately 15 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of all the warning indicators on the instrument panel. The failure occurred three times when driving at a low speed. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 05V025000 (electrical system: Ignition: Switch); however the VIN was not included. The contact planned to take the vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis. In addition, the transmission would slip in a jerking motion whenever the vehicle was in operation. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 87,000.

- Fort Bragg, CA, USA

May 232012

Accord 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden my transmission decides to not know what gear it was in. It just revs the engine acts like it is in neutral. This is a major safety concern since the car looses power and someone could have rear-ended me. Checked on and the majority of the complaints dealt with this issue on the Accord. This is a major safety concern since so many people are affected. Honda used to be dependable but not now. Now I had to miss work and look for a new car or get it repaired which costs 3,000 dollars.

- Howe , TX, USA

Feb 242012

This vehicle was purchased from the original owner in January of 2012. I am the second owner. The car has over 100 documents in the service record folder I have for it. It has been well taken care of, with the transmission fluid just changed. The shifting has gotten progressively worse since about a month after I purchased the vehicle. Slipping, jerking, potentially dangerous wheel-spinning, it does it all. At 95,500 miles the transmission is pretty much blown. It could be unsafe to drive in traffic or at highway speeds, since at any time the vehicle could lose power or the wheels could lock up. I thought I was buying quality when I bought a Honda. Turns out I bought a car from the worst generation of Accord. These years are notorious for transmission failures, and one complaint website says to "avoid [this vehicle] like the plague". I wish I had. Looks like it will cost ~$2500 to fix, not sure I want to put the money into it, and unless Honda admits the problem and starts repairing these transmissions for no cost, I wont buy another Honda. They may offer to cover half the cost of a rebuild, but they'll charge $5000 for it, so it's pointless.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 152011

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number: 04V176000, (power train:automatic transmission). The contact stated that her vehicle was not included in the recall despite having experienced the same failure. The contact stated that while changing gears, the transmission seized. The dealer was notified and advised that the gear shifter needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Baker, LA, USA

Mar 012012

Accord 6-cyl

My transmission does not engage in drive when in the cold weather. After the car and restarting it starts working but check engine light was on. I took the car to the Honda dealer and they called Honda service dept. Supposedly, my ECU is faulty and needs replacement. But my transmission could also need replacement after fixing my ECU. Now I am afraid driving my car thinking what if transmission fails while I am on the highway. My transmission has already failed once at around 40,000 miles in 2005. I thought it was a one-time thing and got the repair done at that time. Unfortunately, my model Accord V6 2002 was never the part of Honda transmission recalls despite having exactly same problem. Also, I do not trust Honda check engine light codes. For years my SRS light for passenger seat belt was always on. Everytime dealer told me that I ECU has failed. After driving my car for 5 years with unsafe conditions, Honda finally had a recall of SRS module and now it the light is gone. With the same ECU.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Mar 012012

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission slipping and jerking, warning lights come on. Dealer diagnostics recommends transmission replacement at a cost of $5,069 parts & labor. Dealer says our 2002 Accord V6 not included in previous transmission recalls. 57,000 miles is very low mileage for transmission failure. We use the car in city driving mainly, some highway. Never have pulled trailers or excessive weights, so victim can't be blamed.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Apr 232010

2002 Honda Accord ex V6. The transmission was determined by holler Honda to be terminal, meaning no good needing to be replaced. The danger occurs when you have to accelerate with the normal traffic flow and are unable to because of slipping and improper shifting. A accident waiting to happen. I'm sure there have already been accidents due to this by people who unaware of the severity of the problem. From what I've read this is a very common problem, Honda has agreed to split the cost of the repair of $4,600, with my mom having alzheimer's and me no job that figure might as well be 4 million dollars. Please somebody help us with this problem.

- Casselberry, FL, USA

Jan 102012

Accord 4-cyl

Transmission has been slipping for several months. I took it in for major service and asked mechanic about slipping transmission. He pulled pending code 1730 gear ratio. 2002 Honda Accord were known to have major transmission problems as reported by consumer reports.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Oct 152008

Accord 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, the contact was able to remove the key from the ignition without shifting the transmission into park. The vehicle then rolled away and crashed into another vehicle. There were no major damages. The vehicle was then taken to an authorized dealer where they advised the contact that the interlock malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The dealer also stated that the VIN was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 05V025000 (electrical system:ignition:switch). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 161,000.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Jan 212012

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. While traveling 35 mph, the contact noticed that the transmission would not shift into gear occasionally while driving at any speed and vehicle would surge forward without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 93,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 012012

Accord 6-cyl

When at a stop sign I press accelerator and the car jerks forward until transmission engages. Diagnosed by Honda as transmission internal failure at 54,856 miles.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 012011

Accord 6-cyl

I purchased my 2002 Honda Accord in 2007 and was told by the dealer I purchased it from that they had repaired the transmission as part of Honda's recall. I began leaking transmission fluid and shortly after, the transmission began to hesitate. When I am moving from a stopped position, the engine rev's up but the vehicle will not move then suddenly the vehicle will take off. I am terrified of driving the vehicle. I am afraid of crossing traffic, making turns in fear that the vehicle will hesitate and not move in and I will be hit by an oncoming vehicle. This is a known recall from Honda corporation and unfortunately due to the dealer misrepresenting performing the recall work, I am now stuck with the vehicle and its repair costs.

- Mustang, OK, USA

Feb 082012

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. The contact stated the transmission on the vehicle failed three times. The dealer stated each time the failure occurred that the transmission needed to be rebuilt. The transmission began to slip and there was also damage to the bearings. When the transmission was replaced the first time, the mileage was 21,268 miles and the second time it was 35,315. There were also metal shavings found in the transmission. The contact stated the failure was a manufacturers defect because the dealer performed all of the repairs. The current mileage was 80,000.

- Walled Lake, MI, USA

Nov 122011

Accord 6-cyl

I got 2002 Honda Accord V6. Recently, I heard a sound when the transmission shift gear, like ban sound. The transmission began jerk while accelerating.... I researched on the internet and saw a lot of people with the same problem, don't know what to do.

- Covina, CA, USA

Jul 162008

Accord 6-cyl

Bought our 2002 Honda Accord ex V6 new. At around 70000 miles, transmission started giving us problems and finally had to be replaced. Very scary when light changes and you can't get car to move! rebuilt engine cost $2500 had a 12 month 12K mile warranty. Died at around 20000 miles. Car has been a lemon. Afraid to buy a 3rd transmission, new or rebuilt and let my 16 year old drive it. Honda knows there is a problem with all the V6 they built for several years 2001-2004. When I called they could have cared less. And this is a safety issue.

- Wilton, CT, USA

Oct 092010

Accord 4-cyl

Contamination of the linear solenoid and its associated passages inside the transmission will cause transmission failure.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 242011

Accord 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Honda Accord V6. My tcs, check engine light and my D4 transmission light came on so I took it to the Honda dealership and they said that there was a 'problem' with my transmission and that it would need to be replaced at a total cost of $4900. I did some research and found that this is a pervasive problem in this model - transmissions are failing around 100K, some earlier - but Honda has not issued a recall or offered to replace transmissions to my knowledge. I never thought I would need to replace the transmission on my Honda ever, but now I need to replace it way too soon. I previously had a bottom of the line 1994 Honda civic dx with 140K miles and never had any issues so I decided to upgrade to their top of the line model. I bought a Honda because I wanted it to last a long time, but now this cost along with a badly needed paint job due to the clear coat eroding (another pervasive problem in this model where again Honda has not admitted fault) is more than the $6200 blue book value.

- Oakland, CA, USA