CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

5.8

2. replace SRS unit (7 reports)
  3. replaced at no cost (2 reports)
2002 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Jul 072005

Accord EX V6

SRS light was diagnosed as needing a SRS control unit,which would not be covered by any warranty. Then front seat belts were replaced under a HONDA UPDATE program, which i appreciated, but the control unit would not be covered. The SRS light was reset,but came back on within a couple of miles. have not had it fixed and now there is a recall on the air bag inflators. I understand that the air bags will not deploy in an accident if the SRS light is on. Seems like this should be a federally mandated safety recall due to number of complaints. Honda is a great company and is highly concerned about public image. I have worked in a Honda motorcycle dealership since 1965, so i am quite familiar with American Honda Motors.

- , Madison, MS, USA

Jul 162011

Accord 3.0L V6

SRS light lit up and has remained on, no apparent reason for this. Just discovered there is an extended warranty on the OPDS sensor, which might be the cause or might be due to a bad seat belt buckle.

Plan on having Honda look at this and repair, with the goal of this being covered by them. Would be very disappointed if they try to charge anything.

- , Princeton, NJ, USA

Aug 252011

Accord EX V6

SRS light was on for a couple of days I goggled various other sites for any help on what could be the issue but still was left kind of in the dark. I found out how to reset the SRS light but thru other postings, if fault still persist SRS light would return and while light is on air bag will not deploy if in a collision. Since I had to take it in dealer because of the air bag recall I would just have them to diagnose the problem.

what happened is the dealer replaced the faulty DRIVER SEAT BELT BUCKLE free of charge and said seat belt buckles are covered under lifetime warranty. Hope this helps.

- , New Brunswick, NJ, USA

Apr 082010

Accord 4 cyl

The SRS light won't go off. I'm not sure what it is related to ,but according to the manual its the seat belt. The cost will be around $200.

- , Conway, AR, USA

Sep 102010

Accord E 4 cyl

Have both 2002 Civic AND Accord, both with SRS light on. Appts scheduled at dealer since mechanic cannot address issue. See that it is a common problem. Is there a class action suit?

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 112009

Accord EX 3.2L V6

Like the transmission problem, it is a joke that this is such a pain and expense to resolve. Ground faults was the word from 3 different diagnostic check ups. I finally went to a friend's auto shop and he worked out all the ground issues. Still the light is on....I wished I had been to this site last year to find that the SRS can be hard reset. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......Otherwise love my Accord...Hate Honda.. wont buy another.

- , Palmdale, CA, USA

Dec 292009

Accord LX 4 cyl

I bough this car as new in August, 2002. This car never has any accident, one day I drove it home from work and next morning the SRS light come on and conitnued on untill now (any time the car is run).....I am the Honda Fan, but this incident made me very unconfortable for make a decision on next Honda purchase.

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Sep 042009

Accord EX 3.3L V6

hi I have a 2002 Honda Accord, I believe it is the model EX - fully loaded, 2 door including the leather, alloy rims, sunroof, etc. I too have this SRS problem light coming on again. Last time it happened the dealer also tried to charge me a 'diagnostic' fee to check it out and I had read somewhere just pull the battery cables for about 5 minutes and then hook them back up and it'd reset. Sure enough, it did. NOTE: make sure you have your radio anti theft code. You'll need this to make your radio work after you've put the battery cables back. (mine is noted in the front of my owner's manual, otherwise, I guess you can get it from your dealer or Honda 800 number?)

I have the same problem again, don't know if I should do the same thing, or it's a bigger issue. It's probably been now 2 years since this last happened, 2nd time now it's come on.

If there is in fact a recall letter or notice for dealers to fix this once and for all, can someone please let me know where I can find this notice to show the dealer? I am located in Canada

- , Surrey, BC, Canada

Jun 092009

Accord SE 4 Cyclinder

The SRS light comes own, I go to Honda and speak to the auto service guy. I ask him if he knows what could cause the light to come on and if there are any recalls for the problem. He tells me it could be a number of problems (typical) and there are no recalls. Then he says if I pay $60.00 and wait several hours he could hook it up to the computer. Mind you I have been here for the transmission with no resolution, unless I wanted to spend 3G's out of pocket and wait for a possible reimbursement. Again I ask have there been any complaints on this issue, the guy finally admits there has been an issue with the SRS system, I then ask why should I have to pay when you guys already have a good idea what it is. He then gives me his typical answer. Now Honda issues a recall!!!!

- , Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jul 082009

Accord LX V6

I hate Honda! My dumb mechanic Rick's Japanese in Thousand Oaks Ca said buy a Honda because he thinks they are great and he used to work at Thousand Oaks Honda who are total crooks! I would never buy a car there again. I would never buy a Honda again.

The SRS unit shows a 07-2 code and it is not covered under the extended warranty. I called Honda for goodwill consideration which is a joke and they said NO! They gave me a case number and said I might get my money back if a class action suit is filed like one was filed for OPDS which is all they cover! I need to have part number77960s84a94 replaced for $580 bucks. I am totally mad and now that I have looked at how many transmission go out on 2002 Hondas I wish I could sell it before that happens to me!

I hate Hondas

- , Agoura, CA, USA

Jan 132009

Accord SE V6

dealer says srs is not communicating with testing computer, need to replace the srs unit, not covered under warranty... $900 + repair.... Honda should cover any SRS repair, No accident to car this means SRS is never used, How can a product fails if is not used...... Honda is slumpy in quality they will learn the lesson for Ford and GM..... Honda can not be ignorant to customers.... we are the one who make it successful, If we are not happy then Honda should know what is their future...

- , Brampton, ON, Canada

Aug 092006

Accord SE 4 cyl

Yeah my airbag sensor (SRS unit) also went bad and had to be replaced. Between that, my paint, and two transmissions, this car is defiantly an overpriced piece o' crap. DO NOT BUY HONDA!

- , Cohoes, NY, USA

Jan 142009

Accord EX V6

I took it to a dealership. They said that the seat belt needed to be replaced--$320--and it was not covered by warranty. On other sites, they have talked about Service Bulletin 06-099. Does anyone know where I can find this on the web?

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 092008

Accord EX V6 3.0L V6

the light came on as i was leaving Chili's restaurant i forgot exactly when but it is truly annoying at my auto class i pulled codes and it was a drivers side buckle switch its been on ever since Honda wanted me to schedule an appointment leave it for a day and charge me money when its under an extended warranty i don't need to spend money on it ill take it somewhere else that will honor the extended warranty

Update from Sep 30, 2009: Informed by a different dealer that Honda has a lifetime warranty on their vehicle's seatbelts, and the Drivers side buckle switch was replaced at absolutley no charge.

- , Overland Park, KS, USA

May 292007

Accord

Over $100 for an estimate. Up to $600 to repair.

- , Brookfield, WI, USA

Sep 142007

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I was driving my 02 Honda Accord when the SRS light came on. We contacted our Honda dealer and they told us to bring it down. The service manager said it was a problem with the seat belt that set off the light. It was also covered under warranty even though we are the 3rd owners of the vehicle. This is much more recent that previous complaints so maybe they updated the fact that they will repair it.

- , Lompoc, CA, USA

May 172006

Accord EX

I bought this car knowing it had an R title. It was stolen and slightly damaged. Looks like new inside and out. Low mileage and run great. I decided to sell it to get a better gas mileage car. About 2 weeks before I finally advertised the car, the SRS light came on. Took it to the local dealer and they said it was a switch problem in the rear of the passenger seat. Supposedly the OPDS sensor. I was told 3 times by the dealer that it was covered under warranty. Then when it came time to fix it, it was going to cost $397. I told them no. Then 2 weeks later the extended warranty shows up. I called the number on the form they sent and I told them what the dealer said. And I was told my conversation was being recorded. A "guy" from American Honda Motor Co. told me that he checked my VIN number and that I should take the form to the dealer and they will repair it free. So I take it back again ! They waited until late in the afternoon and told me they had bad news. It was not covered under warranty ! I told them to call the number on the sheet as I was told. They called back and said Honda told them it was not covered. Sooooo, on the phone again with Honda. This time I got a girl who tells me that someone had reported this claim earlier in May. I said it was me again. Strangely enough, they new about the whole issue but mysteriously, the recorded conversation disappeared. They talk about government conspiricies. I almost spend the money but I thought I would hold off. It is hard to sell this car with the light on. I am tired of trying to explain why I didn't get it fixed. Now I see even if I get it fixed it may come on anyway. I am totally pissed. I love hondas, but this type of issue just tics me off. I would love to disconnect the switch, but I do not want to be responsible for someone getting hurt in an accident. They told me that it was not a safety issue. Well that is not what I have been reading on this site. Too many horror stories. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem ??

RayC

- , Morgantown, PA, USA

Nov 292006

Accord EX V6

Did not have extended warranty and dealer advised SRS unit is not covered by standard warranty at 41,000 miles. Quoted cost to replace 550.00. Requested dealer to contact Honda for possible coverage as I had limited mileage and taken good care of vehicle since purchasing it new. Honda covered the part but not the labor so repair cost 150.00. I think Honda should cover their safety restraint system components for a greater period of time than they do. Will strongly consider another manufacturer of automobile when I buy my next car and stop recommending Hondas to friends and family. My prior car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse that had over 130,000 miles with no problems that were not covered by warranty. If Honda has such a great car why is their warranty so wimpy?

- , Slidell, LA, USA

Dec 202005

Accord EX

I am worried because the SRS light means the airbag in the car isnt working. The car has been to 3 different Honda dealerships and none of them can find a solution. They always say a cell phone on the seat could set it off. Well the car has a problem if a damn cell phone sets off the SRS light. The light has come on even when my cell phone isnt on the seat. The problem is the computer isnt storing any codes. The dealership has replaced the SRS control module twice and even an alternator. It is in the shop right now getting a second SRS control module... i hope this works..

- , Overland Park, KS, USA