CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

7.9

$2,340.00

1. honda should recall 2002 accords to replace defective tranny (78 reports)
  2. honda should replace transmission at no charge (41 reports)
  4. transmission needs to be replaced (12 reports)
  5. Honda replaced the transmission at no cost (10 reports)
  6. Honda should replace the transmission (8 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 10 of 10)

Jun 012007

Accord EX 3L V6

I starting having minor transmission problems last year at around 50,000 miles.. I took it to the Honda dealer and they of course could not find anything wrong. no codes came up. I took it to my local mechanic who also couldn't find anything wrong. he flushed the transmission and thought that would help.. I called a muffler place and they are the ones who told me about the extended warranty for 2002... After investigating with auto beef i see I am not the only one with transmission problems.. i will pursue this...

- , Wayne, PA, USA

Feb 132008

Accord LX 4 cyl

I have a 2002 Honda Accord. The other night I was headed to class when it felt like my car lost power but it was still running and when I pressed the gas the engine would rev up like it wanted to go but it would only inch along. My check engine light came on and my drive 4 light was flashing at me. A mechanic has it right now and I am waiting to see the cost on the repairs. They are saying that sensors are bad but I am not for sure on what else it could be. I am a college student and a woman so when this happened on campus I didn't feel to safe, because I had no idea what was going on because it happened all at once. I called Honda America but the lady told me that the extended warranty was only for 2000 and 2001 models.

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Oct 242007

Accord LX 2.3L

My mothers 2002Honda Accord with less then 35,000 miles is having transmission problems. The car will rev-up then shift hard. Problem is very bad when car is cold, then gets better as car warms up. Honda build a great machine, I just wish they could figure out how to design a transmission.

- , Boiling Springs, PA, USA

Jan 252008

Accord LX V6

I have recently noticed that the transmission is shifting very hard from first to second gear when starting from a stop. The whole reason I bought a Honda, and not a cheap one, was to avoid problems like this and deal with a company that takes pride and stands behind their product. After reviewing all of your comments, it looks like I may be headed toward an expensive repair soon as this problem escalates. No check engine light or flashing "D" yet...Any advice on how to deal with the dealer so that they will own up and pay for the replacement?

- , Rosevi, CA, USA

Jan 022008

Accord SE 2.3L

What is all the hype about Hondas?? I have never owned a Honda until this car and probably never will again after such a huge problem as a transmission at under 100K miles. The car slips/shifts really hard, it now will only drive in 1st or 2nd gear and the D4 light on the instrument panel blinks along with the engine light. I'm sure there is no cheap or easy fix. I've seen enough people have the same problem that Honda needs to step up to plate and admit this transmission sucks!! A recall is warranted in my opinion.

- , Hagatna, Guam, Guam

Dec 102007

Accord LX 2.4L

When I put my vehicle in D4 the vehicle jerks..really jerks with a sound

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 072007

Accord EXV6 Vtec V6

Thank God I found this site........Unfortunately my problem were the symptoms everyone who needed a transmission had stated but it had not gone. Honda would not help me, because I am a a high mileage driver and not only was my car under warranty, but way beyond the 105,000 miles benchmark before my problems worsened.

Because my car had so many miles on it, it is starting to nicklet and dime me. This year I had two hubs go, $500.00, all new breaks and tires, and the weird driving problem. The car would literally seem like gas would quit going to the engine while driving - slowing the car down dramatically usually followed by a hard shift.

It would happen at wierd times and not all of the time. Since it wasn't a constant the only thing that HONDA offerred was for me to leave the car with them, at a cost of course so they could try to repeat the issue.

I don't have that kind of money or patience, or the luxury of being without my car. I chose to sell with full disclosure of what my issues were.......

The nice thing is, even with issues my car sold in a day on craigslist and I am going to pick up my new ACURA today. I don't know if I have a gripe with HONDA, but I did buy expecting 250,000 miles of trouble free driving.

The plus is that the first 6 /2 years, I had no issues like I have had with many other cars.. I'll still by Honda products, but will definitley recognize when to hold and when to ffold. The price to have these cars fixed is to expensive and disappointing that major problems occur.....I have friends with accords from the late 90's who are still running and don't take care of their vehicle like I did. I drive about 2,000+ miles per month and had astanding appointment once a month with my mechanic to change oil, and do a total overhaul.....

Well in the end Honda is getting my money again; hopefully I can get another 6 years of trouble free driving.....Cross your fingers for me....

Thanks