Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1. honda should recall 2002 accords to replace defective tranny (78 reports)
  2. honda should replace transmission at no charge (41 reports)
  4. transmission needs to be replaced (12 reports)
  5. Honda replaced the transmission at no cost (10 reports)
  6. Honda should replace the transmission (8 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 3 of 10)

Aug 152011

Accord LX 2.3L 4 cyl

Apr 012011

Accord LX 6 cyl

problem has been getting steadily worse - was not aware of any problems with this vehicle until a friends suggested that I check with Google - the check engine light comes all the time, and stays off kfor a while and then comes back on - several places have checked this out, but cannot find out what is the problem - some says the oil needs to be changed, some say it may have a transmission or shifter problem, some can't say - some say nothing is rong - this car has had problems shifting and lurches at times, and hesitates at times. Really need to know what is the problem with the check engine light, and what needs to be done to fix this - if there is a transmission recall.

I would appreciate any assistance that kcan be done to fix this once and for all. It would have been nice to have received anhy information int he mail about the recall - but since we have had nothing, and since the area Honda deals have told us nothing, it makes me wonder if you were trhying to sweep it under the rug................

- , Lafayette, GA, USA

Feb 282011

Accord EX 4 cyl

The car has been a good commuting car for many years (I bought it used in 2004), and this is the most significant problem that has emerged. Noticed after freeway driving, and back on normal streets and stopping at red lights or stop signs, the car hesitates and jumps a bit to get into gear. Took it to certified Honda repair place (not Honda dealer) that I have been taking my Honda and cars (have had two in the past) and Toyota truck to. They are a good repair place and charge lower than the dealer (but still not cheap). Paid $110 just to have a drive the car, check trans fluids by mechanic. Report was appears to be a transmission problem but couldn't tell for sure until got into it. Est of $3,400 to repair/replace transmission (more than car is worth). I declined, and just picked up the car.

In the market for a new car, and was considering Honda, again, but with these problems and poor customer service on this known problem by Honda, will be considering other makes ( i.e. Korean & American cars) that have gotten so much better in reliability. What happened to Honda's reliability? Guess the Japanese are slipping. Sorry Honda, good bye (It's not me ....its YOU).

San Diego

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 012010

Accord EX V6

My husband's Accord i sso horrible. I hate riding in it or driving it. Sometimes it has good days. Those days are becoming few and very far between. The transmission is still shifting but, it jerks badly. Mostly between 1st thru 3rd gear. Seems to jerk hardest from 2nd to 3rd. Someone mentioned solenoids possibly being the problem. We are thinking about looking into this. At this point we are just waiting for it to completely lay down on us. We have been faithful to the Honda and Acura car companies. He has owned 5 Hondas (2 were destroyed in wrecks) and I have owned 3 Hondas and 2 Acuras. We love them so much but this problem is very frustrating and disappointing.

- , Richmond, KY, USA

Apr 212011

Accord EX V6

Bought car new in 2002 and had a 7 yr extended warranty and since i drive very few miles ,the problem didnt get noticed until well into my warranty in 2006 but my car only had 22,000 miles on it!The dealership replaced it under warranty at no cost with a refurbished transmission and i was assured I'd have no problems....well less than 28,000 miles later the technician noticed what i thought i was imagining,a slipping and sloppy shifting transmission!!! In the technicians notes he stated"the transmission has a late shift from 1st -2nd and a sloppy shift from 3rd to 4th"

I spoke with the service department and he told me that the warranty was well over (even though i was only at the 50,000 mile mark and was going to need a second transmission all with no guarantee how long that would last.He told me his manager would call me but I took from his demeanor that nothing would get done on that end.I cant truly afford a new car but pouring money into what i consider a lemon will not be satisfactory either...any ideas?

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 022006

Accord 4 cyl

in 2006 took the Honda back to the dealer-this time they found that the transmission was horrible-not good. they replaced it for nothing-however in one month I had to take the car back becasue same problem occured. They said the first re-built transmission they put in the car in Nov 2006 was no good so they put a different one in the car. Within a week the car was having sever problems again-had to take it back to the shop. When the transmissiong was changed they broke the plate in back of the transmission. They blamed me and said i had to have been in an accident for that plate to get broke. I explained it wasn't possible for me to get into an accident and have it fixed in a week and that they could check any system they wanted because I had never had an accident; They again had to fix it. So another week without my car.

Mar 252011

Accord 4 cyl

took my car back-although the car has 137,000 miles on it the transmission was replaced 4 years ago by Honda four years ago so there is only 60,000 miles ont his transmission. I was assured by the Honda service that this transmission would last 200,000 miles no problem and after having my transmission replaced twice already i never imagined this would happen again. Today I took car to the dealer and they can't do anything. The mechanic was very kind and explain that due to the age of the car they couldn't do anything. He did however say that my car was in excellent shape-nothing else was a problem. Of course when the transmission is out what good is the rest of the car.

I called Honda Customer Care Center-nice CSR person I spoke with but she put me on hold to check my issue. She came back and said she couldn't do anything. She knew I was very upset becaseu I was crying. I am beyond destraught over this so she said she would send it on to the case manager. She said they could not guarantee any resolution and because of the age of the car and the mileage on the car she didn't think anythikng would be done. I asked what is the cutoff mileage and age- this is where it threw me-she said it is a case by case basis. Ok who decides which case gets fixed? How can you do case by case. I have not had a single transmission that has last for 70,000 miles-and I have had three.

Honda had a loyal family that bought Hondas for 25 years but no more. My loyalty has gotten me no where. I have been Honda's greatest cheerleader but I will no longer do that. As much as I can I will warn all not to buy Honda.

Nov 012005

Accord 4 cyl

IN 2005 my Honda 202 Accord began to slip -took to the shop and they said nothing was wrong with it. Dealer said no problem.

Oct 122010

I have taken my accord to the dealer 3 times and have yet to get the problem repaired. The transmission leaks, the gears jerk and I feel like I'm getting the run around until my car breaks down completely and they can charge me an arm and a leg to fix the entire thing.

- , Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Sep 072005

Accord V Tech

So Mad! I bought my 2002 in 2005 with 36k miles. When I hit 40k, I noticed a minimal jerking when at a stop. I took this to my mechanic, (Luis N Sons Automotive), a certified honda mechanic and was told I needed a new transmission. After a few strings were pulled, I had a brand new Honda Transmission, covered by warranty. I recently hit 120k, and my D4 light was flashing, and transmission was SLAMMING into gear and slipping.Called my mechanic, and he said I needed a new tranny. I dropped 1,800.00 to have my tranny rebuilt. Same problem with my wife's 1997 accord. I buy these cars because I need a car I can rely on for my job. I feel so embarrassed making fun of my friend that had a Toyota corrola. I also had problems with my catalytic converter, and cooling fan. WT Fin F!!!!!!!

- , LaVerne, CA, USA

Jan 042011

Accord EX V6

I know my car has a lot of miles. But, that's beside the point. The point is there's 1,000"s of people with a 2000-2004 V6 auto with this same problem. If that's not a recall Mr.Honda you tell me. Sobody, will pay if my family get hurt if this trans go out in traffic.

People we need to present a class action Law Suit to Honda,

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 282010

Accord EX 3.0L V6

June 2010 I took my car to the mechanic to have my transmission rebuilt. I picked it up a week later and it ran O.K for a week. At that point it started to slip and jerk again. I took it back to the same mechanic who guaranteed the job he had done for 1 yr. However,upon him diagnosing this issue he claimed it did not fall under the warranty of the transmission that it needed 2 coils replaced along with the ground wire repaired. He quoted the work at $500.00. I immediately took my car elsewhere and had it done for $40.00 (the cost of 2 coils). Another week later the slipping and jerking AGAIN. Was told it was another coil. After another week AGAIN, This time they claimed it was the brain. I was so fed up and felt like I was getting the run around. So I researched these cars and found the shift position solenoid is known to go bad so I purchased 1 and had it replaced. The car ran fine for about a month than again it started acting up. After driving at high speed on the expressway I proceeded to get off my exit and upon passing the toll could not move. My car would not go into any gear except reverse. I had to drive home from the xpressway in reverse with my 11 MONTH OLD SON! Do u know how much I could have gotten in trouble by law enforcement for this? Not to mention how extremely dangerous. Would honda have payed my traffic tix or my hospital bills if something had gone wrong? Anyway I took my car back to the mechanic who did the trans rebuild after having my car for 2weeks I picked my car up and he claimed the converter was bad (BULLSHIT). Sorry for the profanity but by this time I'm done w/mechanics. After getting my car would u believe me if I said it was STILL SLIPPING AND JERKING? Not as bad but it was. So I took it somewhere else I had never been and didn't mention the previous work done to the vehicle. Just said it was slipping and I needed it checked. He called me 2hrs later to come up and look at what he had found which was a leak through the left front axle seal,transmission fluid sprayed all under my undercarriage and after re-filling it,it will just spray out again. Supposedly this is all due to the differentials. I was quoted for this job at $3,899.00. Was told Honda is very aware of this defect. So much that they take the transmission u send in and repair it right awaynso when another defected one is sent they can send ur repaired one out as a replacement. Honda has really let me down.

- , Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Apr 012011

Accord LX 2.3L 4 cyl

Despite my reservations my dealer insisted that I service the 2002 Accord transmission every 15,000 after 35,000 which seemed ridiculous and costly but I went along with. Basically they charged me a bunch of money to keep my transmission from going out during warranty. My car apparently has an odometer discrepancy so it has closer to 98K than 101K. I had complained how the car shift and jumps when braking when cold while the car was in warranty (around 75K) but was told by my dealer that was normal. Unfortunately they did not record that on a service slip so it's my word against theirs. Now the transmission stalls in the middle of intersections, and you have to hold the brake down hard at stops to keep it from jumping into the car ahead of you when cold. The dealer wants $4300 to replace the transmission and after complaining to Honda they offered to cover part of it and get it down to $2800. All of this is bogus pricing of course because I can have a local garage that specialized in Honda's do it for around the same price and they offer the same or better warranty. When I purchased the car the salesman told me that the powertrain would last 300K with no problems as long as kept up with maintenance...... hardly. The regular maintenance on this car has been the most expensive on any that I have ever owned, with that amount of regular service this car should have lasted me to 200K with ease. I will not buy a Honda product again, their quality and reputation are a mirage and their dealers are not interested in protecting or standing up for the consumer.

- , Bettendorf, IA, USA

Nov 012007

Accord EX-L 2.3L V4

My '02 Accord has had a light transmission slip problem for a few years now. Under moderate acceleration, it would lightly slip between gear changes. (Engine RPMs go high, hard shift into new gear). This also happens during a down-shift, so I never use the "passing gear" intentionally. Oddly, the problem started happening only when the engine was cold. Now it happens after it warms up as well.

This has been going on for several years now, and since the car was out of warranty when it started, I was told I needed a new transmission, or a rebuild. Since this will cost about $3k CDN, I have been babying the transmission, and it's lasted much longer than I thought. I expect that within the next year, I will no longer be able to coax her, and will either have to rebuild the transmission, or get a new car. :(

Single-owner vehicle. Leased 4 years, then bought out. Problem started around 85,000km, and car now has close to 150,000 km on it.

Update from Feb 20, 2013: It's now several years later and I have still not replaced or repaired this transmission. The problem has not become much worse than when it initially started. I attribute this to two facts:

1. When accelerating, I anticipate the shift points that cause problems and back off the accelerator. 2. When I am slowing down, and then need to accelerate again (such as a stop light that just turned green as I was braking for it), I wait a few seconds between releasing the brake and stepping on the accelerator.

As I am the only driver of this vehicle, I have "adapted" to the car. If I ever sell this car, however, the buyer will most likely need to replace / repair the transmission, lowering its resale value significantly.

- , Oakville, ON, canada

Feb 142011

This is crazy for the transmission to go out so fast. and now they want 3100 to fix - not fix

- , Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Feb 042010

Accord V6

I am disappointed in Honda. Not sure if I would purchase another vehicle from them. They just blow off their customers and will not address this issue at least for this year of vehicle.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 032011

Accord EX V6

I first noticed my transmission shifting sluggishly - it would hesitate, then jerk - back around 98K miles. I took it to the dealership, where they told me it was some motor mounts and that I also needed my transmission fluid flushed. Had both of these done, two weeks later my transmission fluid was a mess again. Just took it back to the dealership after the check engine light came on, and you guessed it - told me I need $3,900 transmission replacement. Seems like if there's such an obvious problem with transmissions in this model year, Honda should just fix them, or at least pitch in partially on the replacement costs.

- , Provo, UT, USA

Jun 032010

Accord LX V4

The transmission on our 2001 Honda Accord was replaced without cost after many visits to the service facility (Honda City Levittown, NY) during which the technicians said there was nothing wrong with the transmission (approx. 80,000 miles on the car). Our 2002 Honda Accord began slipping and bucking so badly in June 2010 after a trip from OH to NY that it almost put us through the windshield. Brought it into the same service facility where they said the transmission was fine and replaced the fluid. They told us that if the transmission was bad that the engine light would go on. The car ran a little better for a while. Now it slips all the time. We took it back today (Feb. 2011) and now they say "Yes the transmission is slipping and is really shot between 2nd and 3rd." Cost for a rebuilt Honda transmission is $3100 and they will graciously take 10% off the price.

I complained to the dealer who told me I should contact Honda directly to see what they will do for me. He offered me a 2011 Accord for a good price but told me that I would be foolish not to purchase an extended warranty for $1,395. He even likened it to purchasing medical insurance. Why should I have to purchase an extended warranty to cover the cost of a know defect? We had 1992, 2001, and 2002 Honda Accords. We just purchased a 2010 Accord this past August because we read that the transmission problems had been solved. Our son is going through the same stalling tactics with his 2002 Accord transmission problems with the same dealership. All of our children have purchased Hondas? What can I do about the transmission cost? How can Honda treat loyal customers this way? Honda's response will determine what brand our next car will be.

Update from Feb 16, 2011: After contacting corporate Honda, I was assigned a case number and a rep contacted me within 24 hours. I explained the problem with the car and our history with Honda. The rep contacted our service manager and then called me back within two more days. The offer was a 50:50 split of the cost fort a rebuilt transmission. This seemed reasonable due to the 80k + miles on the car. The transmission comes with a three year warranty. I was told that we were given the offer because we were loyal Honda customers. When we made an appointment to bring the car in, one of the technicians said that no one pays full price for a new transmission. The technician at Honda City, John, who was in charge of our car during its stay went out of his way to make an additional repair to the battery cables and tray while the car was there - no charge. Honda City went out of its way to be helpful once corporate contacted them. While I am very happy with how this was resolved, I must agree with some of your other readers have said. This is a known defect, and no one should have to go through all this trouble just to get the transmission fixed.

- , Wantagh, NY, USA

Nov 022010

Accord Special Edition 2.3L I-4

i have had several different makes and models of Asian cars over the years , including various Honda accords and civics. .. and all of them ive run up over 250,000 miles on the odometer before i sell em off and find another with less miles. all of my previous cars were manual transmission though.. this is my first automatic accord. and the problem that I'm experiencing is hard shifting of the transmission between 1st & 2nd , and very hard transmission engagement from a rolling ( 10-30 mph approx.) start. thank goodness im a decent shade tree mechanic, as i cannot afford to have a mechanic fix the problem.. so bottom line IMHO.... if you want a reliable Honda, buy one with a manual transmission. sucks i had to learn this lesson the hard way.. :(

- , Lafayette, OR, USA

Jan 172011

Accord EX V6

Dealer said it would cost $4,700.00 plus taxes to replace transmission. Called Honda for a goodwill discount and they opened a case for me. Dealer called back saying they were contacted by Honda and that they could do the work for $2,968.00 plus taxes. I still think that's outrageous considering the numerous cases of transmission problems with other 2002 Accords!

- , Poughkeepsie, NY, USA