CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

7.9

$2,340.00

1. honda should recall 2002 accords to replace defective tranny (78 reports)
  2. honda should replace transmission at no charge (41 reports)
  4. transmission needs to be replaced (12 reports)
  5. Honda replaced the transmission at no cost (10 reports)
  6. Honda should replace the transmission (8 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 4 of 10)

Nov 292010

Accord

The issue with the 2002 Honda Accord transmission occurred most recently on the 405 freeway while traveling to UCLA. The engine light appeared as well as a blinking gear indicator, along with severe jerking motions. I quickly exited and coasted as much as possible to a nearby gas station.

The malfunction of such a highly defective transmission in traffic could have been fatal, fortunately it was not. Perhaps if there were a fatality or fatalities, Honda would be more proactive in recalling or compensating it's owners as did Toyota in recent time.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Accord SE I4

This is a known issue and Honda should be recalling it or fixing it. Called Honda of America and they said they wont be able to do anything and told me to call the service manager to have them call the district manager. I also see posts of people who got it fixed and them some who has the same issues being turned away. If they fix one, they should be fixing all others as well. I will never own another Honda again!

- , Washington, DC, USA

Dec 172010

Accord LX 2.2L V4

Have always loved hondas until now. my 2002 honda accord transmission started failing at 79,000 miles. I had a 98 honda accord that ran over 300,000 miles never had to replace the tranny. Told it will cost about $3,000 to fix. Called and asked for a good will repair and was told there is no warranty on the vehicle or recalls and there was nothing they could do. Started doing research and realized the 02 hondas are known for this problem. Started doing more research and realized Honda's do not represent their past reputation. Sounds like a lot of cars of newer years are having problems too. Shame on you Honda. We should go on CNN and tell the world how bad honda is really getting. I will never own a honda again! Everyone - Hyundai has really stepped up and they offer a 100,000 mile warranty.

- , Los Osos, CA, USA

Accord EX V6 4 Speed 3.0L V6

Honda Transmission slips only after 120,000 miles. I am the original owner of the car, and they will not help in anyway to repair. I even offered to split the cost.

- , Xenia, OH, USA

Oct 012010

Accord V6 3.0

Car hesitates and jerks in shifting in low gears. Check engine light with P0780 code for shift malfunction. Flushing of transmission fluid and replace with new still have same problem.

- , Binghamton, NY, USA

Accord SE 2.3L 4c

My transmission is going out on my 2002 Honda Accord SE Coupe. It rides very hard and slips/jerks while driving. The D4 light has been flashing as of late and the check engine light has also come on. This appears to be a systemic problem with Honda and should be fixed by them at no cost.

- , St. Joseph, IL, USA

Jan 022011

Accord SE

i had 3 civics.Only 1 accord.I can not believe Honda wont admit the problem with accord transmissions.I was at the dealership.They sold me the tranny fluid to change it and said there is no known problems!!!COMEON...

- , Truro, N.S, Canada

Oct 012008

Accord V6

Honda dealer told me this is a $3000 transmission replacement "fix" that I need. The car runs fine and I suppose would continue to run with this very annoying issue for years. Seems like 65,000 miles is a little low for a car to need a new transmission. At any rate, I asked my mechanic and he said it's a known issue (even if Honda doesn't admit so) -- I'll be attempting the "good will repair" route next.

THE CATCH here is that to pass the yearly safety inspection, the computer has to be reset and the car has to be driven 30 miles very conservatively as to not trigger the issue. I here the NTSB won't issue a recall. So if I understand correctly, they don't consider something needed to pass a safety inspection a "safety" issue -- makes absolutely no sense. If only there was an official agency monitoring the monitors.

This is my first of two Hondas (2007 S2000), and I may not purchase another. I wish someone would make a good affordable/dependable car again.

- , Provo, UT, USA

Accord SE

OK....warranty expired on the transmission I have put in February 2009 (of course) and now the damn transmission is slipping AGAIN!!!! Thinking that some kind of "lemon law" should apply here. You won't EVER see me buying another Honda!!!! My son is driving this one now & I have bought a Toyota. We will not replace this lemon with another Honda...EVER, EVER, EVER!!!

- , Snellville, GA, USA

Oct 152005

Accord SE

Just to add insult to injury, I was on my way to Florida with my 3 children for a vacation. We had to rent a car for the week and drive back down to Florida from Georgia the following weekend to pick up the car, so I was also out expenses for the rental car & gas money to return to Florida.

- , Snellville, GA, USA

Jan 102009

Accord V6

Nothing much, just trying to figure out the least inexpensive way to fix this issue, I'm trying to prolong the life of my vehicle.

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Oct 012010

Accord

The car is only 8 years old!! This is a Honda with 94,000 miles on it. The car would hop at stop signs or lights and then the check engine light came on. The torque converter came apart and there were metal shavings in the transmission oil. $2,000 to fix with a year warranty only. Could not afford $2,500 for a 3 year warranty.

- , Dickinson, TX, USA

Jan 012010

Accord V6

I RAN INTO A FRIEND, WHOM ALSO OWNED A 2002 HONDA ACCORD, SHE TOLD ME THAT MOST 2002 HONDA ACCORDS HAVE HAD BAD TRANSMISSIONS. SHE THOUGHT I KNEW ABOUT ALL THE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS AND REPORTS ON 2002 MODELS. SHE THEN STATED THAT SHE HAD PAID SO MUCH MONEY INTO REPAIRS THAT SHE ULTIMATELY BROUGHT A TOYOTA. SO, NOW HERE I AM HIGHLY FRUSTRATED WITH MY TRANSMISSIONS PROBLEMS. I DON'T WANT TO SPEND OVER $2000 IN REPAIRS. I LOVE MY HONDA, I REALLY DIDN'T ANTICIPATE TO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS NOW. NOW THAT I HAVE VISITED THIS SITE, I KNOW I'M NOT ALONE.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Oct 032010

Accord

I have owned Honda Accord all my life; this is the 4th. All have lasted way beyond the

200 k. NOT this one it started shifting hard close to 100k. I called Honda and they are not being helpful. I've been checking, not only on the internet but also with other 2002 Honda owners. Lots of transmission problems. What do we need to do to get a class action lawsuit? Please is there a lawyer out there that can help us???? Honda should pay, if not all, at least 1/2 minimum.

- , Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 112010

Accord EX 1.8

I can not believe that Honda corporate has not made a full recall of this car. My mechanic knows about this issue being a wide spread one and that many Accords and Civics are affected.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 152010

Accord 4 cyl

My transmission is slipping and shifting hard and the repair shop says it will cost about $2200 to rebuild the transmission. I can't drive the car very far for fear of complete transmission failure. I hope Honda will live up to it's reputation and fix it.

- , Conway, AR, USA

Sep 012010

Accord 4cyl

After reviewing the comments on this site,I realized I am experiencing the same transmission issue with my 2002 Honda Accord which has approximately 93,000 miles. I bought this car new. Very disappointing considering I have owned Honda's for the past 25 years. I have been holding off buying a new car until the spring but unfortunately I have been experiencing transmission problems and just had this confirmed with my mechanic. He said this is a known issue with the make of car and to either replace the transmission or replace the car. Now that I know this is a known issue and Honda is not going to do any sort of recall, I will be looking at cars other than Honda. I am extremely disappointed.

- , Erie, PA, USA

Oct 032010

Accord LX

I purchased a 2002 Honda Accord LX from an original owner, two months ago. As of now the speedometer reads just over 65000 miles and tthe engine revs high until it hits 20mph and then bangs into second gear and then does the same thing going into third. When coming to a stop it again jumps forward and thereby could possibly hit a pedestrian or ram into the car in front of it.

ANY CAR THAT UNPREDICTABLY JERKS/LURCHES FORWARD AND COULD RAM INTO THE CAR OR A PERSON IN FRONT OF THEM IS A SAFETY HAZARD.

After researching this problem online i noticed that I'm not alone with this problem and I believe it's a manufacturing defect and this has to be recalled and replaced at Honda's expense.

- , Coral Springs, FL, USA

Oct 042010

Accord LX 3.0L V6

I bought this car yesterday and today when I went to work the transmission started shifting rough. I have discovered this is a common problem with the 2002 Honda Accord and this should be repaired.

- , Roanoke, VA, USA

Sep 302010

Accord ES V6

Took veh into dealer as check iengine light was on and veh was not shifting properly. Was told by dealer that I needed a new transmission at the cost of $3700., but that since I had such low mileage Honda might cover it. I have called around to other independent Transmission shops and was told by several that this is a common problem with the Accords and that it shoudl only cost between $1700-$2200. I'm waiting for word from the dealer if Honda will pay all the cost or part of it.

- , Menlo Park, CA, USA