Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1. replaced transmission (95 reports)
  2. replace transmission (23 reports)
  4. sold the Accord (3 reports)
  5. traded in for new Accord (1 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Jan 012009

Accord EX 4

I love Honda, I want to keep buying Hondas, but here is where the waste of adverting and marketing meets the road. Everyone spends way too much money getting new customers and not trying to keep the loyal ones they have. A major problem that was clearly the fault of design and manufacturing. I have and have had Hondas that have gone 260,000 + miles with now problems, just regular recommended maintenance. That is why we/I ( I have been responsible for my whole family buying Hondas about two dozen and counting) buy Hondas, and not an American or other makers vehicles. If they try to dodge to ball like all the American car companies, then all of it customers will do the same, change loyalties. Be Japanese and do the right thing and keep happy and loyal customers.

Joe American

- , Cupertino, CA, USA

May 012011

Accord EX 3.0L V6

2002 Honda Accord with ONLY 44,000miles. Problem started about 39,000miles. Transmission failure, almost had a bad accident. Code P0780...people are constantly repairing their tranny's only to have to repair again and again with same failures on trans. HONDA NEEDS TO RECALL - look at my low miles. I will never buy another Honda again - sincerely, Diane Kingsnorth. We need to have a class action lawsuite.

- , Roselle, Illinois USA, USA

Feb 152007

Accord SE 4 cyl

I purchased this vehicle in 2005 at checkered flag in Norfolk,Va where shortly after my transmission was defective. Do not get any warranties from them they are a rip off. My warranty covered nothing and I paid well over two grand. The person who sold me the warranty was fired. I feel he baited and switched me since i am a female who did not know much about cars. They fixed my transmission now i am back to needing a new one again.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 132010

Accord 1997

this is very annoying and disturbing ,,while on a busy street driving my Honda...than suddenly when stop at a stop the vehicle wont take a gear to embarrassing ..all cars piping horns and swearing at me and my family..all because of this stupid Honda accord i purchased..after so much on regular services still this damn vehicle has transmission failure....why ..later i had this is a common problem in Honda...such a beautiful car with so much friend has a Toyota has it for 30 years now..never gave a problem with transmission..even his service was poor with transmission

why only Honda...damn it ..this Honda are waste of money..until a agent helps me out..i will keep telling everybody never to purchase a Honda....can Honda agents freight me a new transmission?? they just sell and forget

- , suva, 9, Fiji

Oct 012010

Accord EX 3.0L V6

UPDATE 1st transmission replaced at 61,167 under "certified warranty" 2002 Accord EX-V6. 10/1/10 transmission went bad again. This time my wife had to drive on a side walk, just missing hitting neighbors dog and owner. The sidewalk was the wifes idea. But hitting the car pulling out of the driveway in front of her seemed a worse idea. When she applied the brake to the accord, it reved up and lurched forward hard and quickley going on sidewalk was best option for not hitting other vehicle. As she hit curb of side walk the car went into neutral even though the car gear shifter was in D4. Went through entire car electronics checked all. Had good, registered, shop take a look and they said transmission no good. WHAT A SHOCK. lol Have enough money to get it to Friendly Honda this weekend (170.00bucks) Will keep updated about what Honda says and how much they are/arenot paying.

- , Walden, NY, USA

Aug 242006

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Bought certified 2002 Accord EX-V6 sedan on 10/31/05. On 8/14/06 transmission would not shift properly. Brought to Friendly Honda. Told me nothing was wrong. Told them that I subscribed to consumer reports and i was expecting a review form to fill out for used car for Consumer Reports. I let them know that I saw how the 2001 Accord had a big black circle for transmission. He (service guy) would call me back after they looked into it a bit more. Called me back an hour later and told me I was getting a new transmission under warranty. Miles 61,167. Got car back all good until 10/01/2010

- , Walden, NY, USA

Jun 012009

Accord EX

The car did not have very high miles but the warranty has expired. This problem has been around for awhile, everytime I took it to the dealership for tune up and oil change, they never tell me the transmission has problems. All they keep saying is that I have a really good car, there is nothing to worry about. The problem finally become un-bearable, I have the dealer checked again. This time they say it's the transmission failure, and need to be replaced. I called Honda to complain, and their answer is due to the mileage and age of the car, they cannot help fixing it, even though it's a known problem! Honda has very high repair costs: over $4000.

- , Huntersville, NC, USA

Jun 082009

Accord LX V6

So I found that this is a common problem on this model of Honda. Although the car was no longer under warranty, the dealer agreed to pay a portion of the costs for the parts because of it being a common issue. I guess they didn't want to go all the way and admit any fault, but being a broke student at the time with no other options, I has happy to go with that lol! I've spoken to a few others I've run into with the same model and they've mentioned having the same issue. Otherwise, a very reliable car. I guess this was fixed in later models.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 012010

I called Honda customer service and they down right lied and said that they are not aware of any existing problems to Accords or Civics pertaining to the transmission. Since I passed the mileage warranty they pretty much said I'm SOL!

- , La Puente, CA, USA

May 262010

When my car started having this problem I couldn't believe it. The first Honda accord I had never had an issues and lasted over 200,000 miles. I only have 96,000 miles and have had the problem about 6 months now. The first time it did it I thought I got rear-ended by another car. I looked up to see no one behind me. The jump, or fling into gear is so bad I feel like we do get whiplash. The other day as I pulled out to major street the car wouldn't go! As I pushed harder on the gas it just revved higher, but wouldn't go. This is a major safety concern. We could have been rear ended or killed! The 2002 should be recalled. I can't believe Honda is ignoring the problem. I will never again purchase a Honda accord.

- , Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Nov 182010

Accord EX 6 cyl

8 years and 96000 miles old, what a terrible product or flaw.

- , Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Nov 052010

Accord EX

this car has had 1 transmission put in last year 2009...with 3 months last 1 it need another transmission it started jerking on the road...i was so shock!! when i bought it it had 56000 miles on it ,so i thought oh this is a good drove good for 3 problem..we need to be very careful on buying used cars....i learned a lesson. sometimes these car dealers know they sold you a lemon...i love the honda cars...i had a 1992 that last for 12 years never a problem... until after 12 years..but after that many years what could i say...?? AND IT WAS A KNEW if you have the money just buy yourself a FREAKY new car other people junk is not worth the stress

- , Greenwood, SC, USA

Nov 192010

Accord EX Coupe V6

I was driving back from work and noticed the TCS and check engine light was on. The D4 light was also flashing. I've only had this car for a couple months. I bought it from the dealership and it had one other previous owner. I've also had to replace the timing belt because it cracked off the engine block. The car used to overheat although the radiator fluid was full. My mechanic told me that 2000-2003 Honda Accords were notorious for having horrible transmissions.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 012010

Accord SE 2000

The car does drive fine when going forward, put it in reverse and it decides to do nothing. sometimes it will reverse but if its on a slope and has to be revved to go up the slope in reverse, never going to happen......

you cannot part and its practically brand new. only 62000 miles.....

what a pain......

- , Barking, Essex, England

Jan 112010

Accord V6

My car just decided to STOP on the interstate. No warning, no prior problems, Just Stop. I have been able to drive the car around the yard and then it will just stop again and not go anywhere. I would have thought that a HONDA would not have transmission problems with less than 100,000 or even more miles on it. I would have expected to at least have some kind of problems, such as the transmission slipping . How can a car just stop without warning. Car has been cared for, fluids changed on regular basis all of the right things.

Update from Nov 17, 2010: I did contact American Honda and I was given an option that they could pay for the parts and I could pay for the labor. With the car having 96,000 miles I really did not want to put that much money into labor. With it being the end of the year and the 2011's coming out Honda had some decent deals on the 2010. I traded the troubled 2002 for a brand new 2010. I now have a car with 300 miles, lifetime warranty on the engine-transmisssion..etc - not just a certain mile limit or certain year limit BUT the car's lifetime warranty on the main get up go of the car. Then I have 100,000 mile warranty bumper to bumper. I loved my Honda and I have confidence that with a lifetime warranty on transmission - engine I should enjoy my car for years to come!!

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA

Oct 082010

Accord V6

I am a Naval Officer, Single Parent, Faithful Tax Payer, and a Foster Mom. I have a complaint about my Honda Accord Automobile (2002 EX V6 Engine) of which I am the original owner, and the service I received from American Honda and Hoehn Honda of Carlsbad CA.

Up until this point, I have not had many issues with my Honda. My Honda Accord 2002 was a wonderful car, my very first NEW CAR, which I was the ORIGINAL OWNER, FINANCED, and so on. I drove this car off the lot without even 1 mile on the dash, and the Dealership told me by law they had to put at least 1 mile on the dash, in order to sell the car, and they allowed me to put that 1 mile on the dash. I bought this car with the intentions of keeping well past 400k miles, and possibly passing it onto my son as his first car, which would have given me the security that I was passing him something reliable, and something I know he would have little to no major out-of-pocket expenses for, and clearly at the time that was the reputation that Honda's had... NOW, I would not give this car to anyone, knowing what I know.

Before all of this occurred, I was basically driving my Honda to and from work, to and from my kids' school, and in and around daily travels, with exception to occasional family outings. I recently paid this car off, and since then, I have paid for all kinds of unforeseen expenses, and enough is enough.

My first experience with my 2002 Honda Accord's transmission occurred when I was driving at 35 MPH and the car bucked in ongoing traffic and completely stalled. I was amazed because my car had not done this before, and it was terrifying considering I had my kids and 2 of their friends in the car, and it did a number on our necks.

Now, my 2002 Honda Accord begins to slip every time I accelerate from a traffic light, stop sign, and so on. Honda’s transmission started slipping out of gear, jerking, and while driving at a speed of 45-60 MPH, would start to increase speed on its own then just lose speed, and would make a rattling sound while losing speed and once past that gear would experience problems leveling out. Also, when I tried to put it in reverse, the car does not move, and I have to keep changing gears to get the car to go. When I turn it off and then on again, it started to drive normally, but I have to keep doing this, and I notice it is eating away at my gas.

A few weeks later, the car did the same thing but worse now, I notice the RPMs go really high when I go forward, and the car gives a hard buck or jerk and often times the car goes nowhere. The car bucks whenever its ready, without warning.

It wasn't until I did a Google Search for transmission problems on a 2002 Honda Accord (, did I realize my issues with this problem were not isolated, I was not alone in this issue, and to no surprise, the more I search on this issue, the more I find. I found many other Honda Accord Owners with a 2002 are having the same identical issue, and there are many other websites and blogs about people having the same issues as well.

I called Honda Customer Service at (800) 999-1009 and asked for their "goodwill repair", and thought that HONDA would surely stand behind their product, and surely with all the many complaints about the same issue that Honda would recognizes this and will help to fix this problem. I WAS DEAD WRONG... 100% AND THEN SOME!! Not only have they not made a recall, which I am sure is well needed due to the many complaints, in order to repair this problem, but they almost laughed when I called them. I had a Representative tell me that it is not a safety related concern, and when I requested a number to higher authorities, I was told the buck stops there. I told the Representative all that had occurred, and that I beg to differ, my transmission failed (three to four) while on the California 5 Freeway, going with the flow of traffic, and this became a safety concern because my Honda went from going about 65 MPH to 25-35 MPH in the fast lane, I was terrified and this was definitely a concern because I could have been KILLED!!!! I was rammed from the rear, and had to pull to the left lane of this busy freeway, after being almost forced off the road by a Diesel Truck because my car was not shifting into gear.

I immediately went to my local Dealership (Hoehn Honda 5454 Pasea Del Norte, Carlsbad CA 92008 Ph:760-438-1818), had my vehicle inspected, and was told by Johnny Ramirez (Service Advisor) that the transmission needed to be fully replaced, and handed a bill for $3,740 (Parts & Labor with $2425.57 being just for parts alone, and the remainder for labor) to replace the transmission or else to trade-in for new Honda (which I'm not at all interested in doing) and I could not replace the transmission at this time, due to the financial hardship I am experiencing with the loss of my home. I immediately started crying, and the Service Representative told me to call Honda and see if there was any help they could provide but, when I called, as I explained, I was told that this was not their issue because I have no warranty on the car currently.

I left devastated and the car jerked all the way home. I returned, after I gathered my thoughts, and I requested that the Dealer do a "goodwill repair" but they told me call American Honda’s 800#, I called again from their lobby, and until now, nothing.

I bought this car because of the Honda name brand, for its reliability, and because it was said to be built to last, and all I have gotten is a car that looks pretty on the outside and is sick on the inside, and the Dealer/Doctor handing me a bill and telling me to pay or let the car die. I feel as a consumer, CHEATED! Now, I have 5 kids that I take backwards and forwards to school in the mornings and in the afternoons, and I commute daily about 50 miles to and from work, and I have been degraded to putting my kids on the city bus and taking the train to work because of the amount of money I am told by the dealer that it will take to correct my car’s transmission. I have kids that need to get to school, a job that affords me the ability to Serve & Protect my Country, and no way to get either to the assigned destination because, I do not have reliable transportation, thanks to Honda.

I am terrified to put my kids into this car with the transmission jerking really bad like I'm slamming the brakes on occasion, and the clear fact that Honda customer service didn't seem empathetic in offering a solution to help makes me outraged.

Just like many, I believed in Honda for their reliability, but no more; it's a manufacturing defect and this has to be recalled. Honda needs to be held accountable, step up and take responsibility for their design flaw, just as other car manufacturers have had to do in the past. If one person was claiming an issue, o.k. but, you have a large number of people claiming the same mechanical issue, and Honda not stepping up to offer any aid to the problem. I want justice because; I paid for a car that I can no longer use, which is clearly a manufacturer's issue. Currently there is no pending or ongoing recall for the transmission defect, because it is not a safety issue (according to the NHTSA). I can be reached using the "send comment" link below.

- , Oceanside, CA, USA

Aug 192010

Accord Coupe 2.4 ltr

I went to Honda when a spring inside the transmission broke. They wouldn't even check out my transmission. They gave an excuse of a guy who had the same problem with a loose shifter and that it was easier to do nothing about it. The next day the transmission was slipping and the engine revving bad. They still did nothing. I took it to a local transmission shop where it was rebuilt to a cost of $2,500. The pieces of the spring had gotten into the gears and they had to be replaced as well. I was without my car for 2 weeks and when I contacted Honda they did nothing about this. My niece has the same year, same car with a failed transmission as well. This is a Honda defect.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Oct 082010

Accord SE 4cyl

I have a BuyHerePayHere used car dealership. For the past 20 years I have only bought and sold Honda and Acura cars. The 1997 and older Accords and the 2000 and older Civics have put food on the table for my family. The 1998 and newer Accords and the 2001 and newer Civics are putting me out of business.

I used to be able to brag on Honda and Acura and tell my customers "Just service them and they would last". I lied to my customers (many of them repeat customers) and did not realize it ( I was in denial mode).

- , Anderson, SC, USA

Jul 092010

Accord LX V6

Transmission fails to stay in gear when it heats up. According to the dealer the clutch has burned out.

It turns out that the clutch has a bad nut on it and it can cause failure. Dealer said it was 4000.00 to replace the transmission.

- , Santa Clara, UT, USA

Oct 262010

Accord SE 2.3

Transmission hesitates when stopped, jerks into gear hard. Talk to Local dealerships- no help on repair cost -but would be glad to repair @ my expense.

Called American Honda - too many miles for then to offer any assistance even under their Goodwill program.

- , Brigham City, UT, USA