CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

9.1

$2,546.00

1. replaced transmission (95 reports)
  2. replace transmission (23 reports)
  4. sold the Accord (3 reports)
  5. traded in for new Accord (1 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

Feb 012008

Accord 4 cyl

After mostly all highway mileage on this car (200 miles per day on a 4-lane open freeway), transmission started to rev really high when trying to shift out of 1st gear. Local transmission shop found they could not work on it, as Honda doesn't allow the diagnostic tools to be purchased by independent shops. Honda dealer quoted $2840 to replace, but Honda will pick up half. If Honda is picking up half, that's an admission of liability, and it should be on a recall notice. My last accord, a 1991, went 300,000+ miles without a problem. This "new and improved" transmission doesn't seem to be so improved. Class action lawsuit, anyone?

- , Winneconne, WI, USA

Jan 282008

Accord SE

I purchased my 2002 Honda Accord with just over 30,000 miles on it thinking it would last me forever and I need that. I am a FT nursing student and single mom. I have had no other problems with the car and nothing leading up to what happened last night. I was driving and bam, my car stopped. Started revving really high and clunking. Had to have it towed and estimated repairs are about $3200. I am hoping Julie got some response from Honda about this issue!

- , Juneau, WI, USA

Nov 022007

Accord EX 3.0L

I bought my Accord in March of 2007, no problems, loved it. Had a baby in May, and by October, the transmission was jerking really hard and finally it just died. Only had 70 k miles. I am never going to buy a honda accord again. My 97 civic was great though, problems there!

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 282007

Accord EX V6

Have a 2002 Honda Accord EX V6, 78000 miles on it, never had to have any repairs and religious re oil/fluid checks. The check engine light came on recently and the Honda dealer said the error code detected the need for a whole new transmission, at a cost of $4000. The dealership told me that Honda America might agree to split the cost. Honda America is still looking into this. On seeing the amount of people with the same issue it is clear that Honda need to issue a recall. This is our 3rd Honda and our 2nd Accord. The 1st accord ran well for over 140000 miles in 11 years. I can safely say this will be our last Honda if this problem is not covered in full by them. Good Luck everyone!

- , Fairfield, CT, USA