CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

9.1

$2,546.00

1. replaced transmission (97 reports)
  2. replace transmission (24 reports)
  4. sold the Accord (3 reports)
  5. traded in for new Accord (1 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

Feb 272008

Accord VP

I bought my 2002 Honda Accord NEW because I believed Honda to be a reliable car company. With only 47,000 miles on the odometer the Transmission went .Honda wanted me to see a certified dealer. Too bad I had already had my car towed to a transmission repair shop not affiliated with Honda. So in their words I'd pay to have it towed to a certified Honda dealer so they can run diagnostic testing . And then bend over while the charge me their outlandish prices for their crappy service. So I had the transmission repaired outside of Honda because it was a total hassle to have my p.o.s car towed to their dealers. This company should be ashamed of their products. Please do your research when dealing with these money hungry giants.

- , Haverhill, MA, US

Mar 032008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I also am having transmission problems with my 2002 Accord LX coupe. It started having trouble shifting gears a few weeks ago and one day last week shifted into neutral instead of into third gear and I was almost rear ended. I only have 71,000 miles on the car and it has been meticulously maintained. Thank God, I kept all my receipts to prove it to Honda. The initial quote to replace my transmission with a refurbished trans was 3800 dollars. Only when I balked and started asking questions as to how this could happen and why the extended warranty didn't cover my model did I get anywhere at the dealership and without the maintenance receipts I don't think anything would have happened. I'm still waiting to hear back from the regional customer service manager about goodwill assistance.

- , Ypsilanti, MI, US

Feb 282008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I was just informed by the dealer that my 2002 Honda Accord will need a new transmission and that this will cost around $3,300. WIth only 77K mi on the car this just didn't seem right so I began my web search for information and stumbled across this site - looks like I'm not alone and that is not just a random occurrence. Honda has a serious problem here.

The car is currently at the dealer and I'm trying to figure out what options I have.

- , Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Feb 012008

Accord 4 cyl

After mostly all highway mileage on this car (200 miles per day on a 4-lane open freeway), transmission started to rev really high when trying to shift out of 1st gear. Local transmission shop found they could not work on it, as Honda doesn't allow the diagnostic tools to be purchased by independent shops. Honda dealer quoted $2840 to replace, but Honda will pick up half. If Honda is picking up half, that's an admission of liability, and it should be on a recall notice. My last accord, a 1991, went 300,000+ miles without a problem. This "new and improved" transmission doesn't seem to be so improved. Class action lawsuit, anyone?

- , Winneconne, WI, USA

Jan 282008

Accord SE

I purchased my 2002 Honda Accord with just over 30,000 miles on it thinking it would last me forever and I need that. I am a FT nursing student and single mom. I have had no other problems with the car and nothing leading up to what happened last night. I was driving and bam, my car stopped. Started revving really high and clunking. Had to have it towed and estimated repairs are about $3200. I am hoping Julie got some response from Honda about this issue!

- , Juneau, WI, USA

Nov 022007

Accord EX 3.0L

I bought my Accord in March of 2007, no problems, loved it. Had a baby in May, and by October, the transmission was jerking really hard and finally it just died. Only had 70 k miles. I am never going to buy a honda accord again. My 97 civic was great though, problems there!

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 282007

Accord EX V6

Have a 2002 Honda Accord EX V6, 78000 miles on it, never had to have any repairs and religious re oil/fluid checks. The check engine light came on recently and the Honda dealer said the error code detected the need for a whole new transmission, at a cost of $4000. The dealership told me that Honda America might agree to split the cost. Honda America is still looking into this. On seeing the amount of people with the same issue it is clear that Honda need to issue a recall. This is our 3rd Honda and our 2nd Accord. The 1st accord ran well for over 140000 miles in 11 years. I can safely say this will be our last Honda if this problem is not covered in full by them. Good Luck everyone!

- , Fairfield, CT, USA