CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

8.7

$1,074.00

1. rebuild transmission (3 reports)
  3. reseal transmission case bolt (1 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments

May 012013

Accord ES 3.0L V6

At first I thought that the engine was leaking oil. I brought it in and the dealership said that it was transmission fluid. They said I had to replace it, but I didn't believe them. I took it to two other auto service places and they confirmed that the transmission seal had failed and it needed to be fixed. Of course, if you are going to pay that much money to simply take the transmission apart to replace a seal, you might as well rebuild it.

I REALLY wish I had found this site before I bought my car.

- , Grandville, MI, USA

Dec 012012

Accord SE 2.3L 4 cyl

Had transmission rebuilt and it failed a second time!

- , Cypress, TX, USA

Mar 092011

Accord EX 6`cyl

After honda replaced the transmission for failing, the new transmission with 65,000 leaks. My regular repair shop and a reputable transmission shop both looked at it and said that the transmission must be rebuilt. I called honda and they want $100 just to look at it with no guarantee that they will cover any part of it.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 202010

Accord SE

Even i have problem with transmission fluid leak too,reason im posting again,to let you know, that you all guys should contact NHTSA-office of defects investigation(government run office)either on web or call them at 1 888 327-4236 and tell them about your concerns,i was told they had some complaints about problem but they wish they had more calls,so its up to all of us to try to do something about Honda ignorance towards us.

- , Springfield, MA, USA

Apr 202009

Accord 3.2L V6

I took my car in for the 100,000 check up at the urging of my husband...hadn't experienced any problems. I am the second owner of the car. I have changed the oil, and I bought it w/ 48,000 miles 3 years ago. Great car! Got it back Sunday, drove it Monday - smelled something burning, so I took it back, and now there's a transmission leak; the seal is gone.

- , Gilbert, SC, USA

May 262008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I took my car to the Honda dealership twice to report this issue, both times they reported that it was fixed. However, both times there was still a significant leak of transmission fluid. I took it to an independent shop and they found the actual problem and fixed it. Very dissatisfied with the service I received from Honda, they are pathetic.

- , Arlington, VA, USA