- August 22: Honda Upgrades 2015 Honda Fit Front Bumpers To Pass Crash Test
- August 3: Honda Accord Air Bags Inflate When People Close the Doors
- July 9: Acura Recalls Cars With Fiery Halogen Headlights
- June 23: Honda Recalls 2 Million Cars With Defective Air Bags
- June 11: Over 1 Million Cars Might Have Explosive Takata Air Bag Inflators
Transmission Fluid Leak
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 113,433 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 6 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- rebuild transmission (3 reports)
- not sure (2 reports)
- reseal transmission case bolt (1 reports)